Does your body stop burning its fat for fuel with reintroduction?

So I'm a few days into my reintroduction and I'm thinking how successful my Whole 30 was, 4 lbs, 1 inch off my waist and an overall happy gut!   I'm really only reintroducing a few things like oatmeal, sweetened creamer in my coffee and the occasional sweet treat (macaroons, yum!)  so I'm wondering if by bringing these things back, am I  making my body stop using its fat as fuel?  Will it burn those cards instead thereby reducing my weight loss?  I read that is what happens on Whole30, your body changes how it runs, so I'm worried that by reintroducing certain foods, it will stop burning fat in that way.  Does anyone know the science around this?  Is there a certain sugar/carb ratio to stay under to keep your body burning its fat for fuel? 

• Administrators

On Whole30 we aim for fat adaptation which is the ability for the body to easily switch between burning fat for fuel and burning carbs for fuel. If you load your day with carb-heavy foods and eat treats and drink sweet beverages on a regular basis, you will likely fall out of fat adaptation because the body knows that carbs/sugar is coming regularly.

In order to maintain fat adaptation you would want to stick with a primarily Whole30 template way of eating and have the grains/sugars only occasionally.

Note that fat adaptation is not the same as ketosis and is not so easily "fallen out of" but yes, eventually you would no longer be fat adapted if you start to rely on carbs.

Edited to add: we don't give out ratios, macros, percentages etc. No one here knows that. But YOU will know if you fall out of fat adaptation because your need to eat more frequently and the intensity of that need would become obvious. "Hanger" (hungry + anger) and needing to eat every 2-3 hours are good signs of a person who is reliant on carbohydrates for fuel.

Archived