Night sweats

I am only on my third day of whole30. I knew I’d have troubld because I’m horribly addicted to sugar and sure enough I’ve had a headache since starting. But last night I woke up to care for my baby and my heart started pounding and I started sweating buckets, a cold clammy sweat. I felt awful. Eventually I got up and ate an apple then went back to bed and could sleep. I’m wondering if I’m not eating enough, I’m nursing a baby and training for a half marathon. This is what I ate yesterday:

breakfast: two 5oz tilapia filets pan fried in olive oil and ghee, one large sweet potato and one large onion sautéed in ghee

Lunch: chicken breast on a salad with cucumbers tomatoes spinach and green leaf lettuce, homemade balsamic vinegarette 

Dinner: meat balls and cauliflower rice

Should I start adding snacks? If so what kinds of things do you snack on? Can I feasibly do a whole 30 with my physical demands? I am a stay at home mom to four kids so I only have so much time to eat.

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely think you can do a Whole30 with those physical demands! Since Whole30 doesn't require you to cut calories or anything, you should be able to eat the right amount to fuel you. How is your hunger between meals? If you're hungry in less than 4-5 hours, try upping the size of your meals. Fat may be the one thing you're lacking a little bit since for meal 1 and 3 it looks like you're relying mostly on cooking fat. Maybe not enough of that is getting onto your plate from the pan. Don't worry about having 2 different sources of a fat at a meal if that is something you're concerned about. I have vinaigrette, half and avocado, AND 2T of sunflower seeds with my lunch every day! It's hard to overdo the fats (as long as you're not binge-eating nuts).

You've got at least one starchy veg with the sweet potato in the morning, but maybe try adding some at another meal! This can take experimentation, but I noticed that my energy is better if I have a starchy veg with breakfast. Maybe try having one for dinner and see if that helps.

The meals that you listed seem like a decent size to me, but I'm not training for a marathon or breast feeding. You probably need more food! Do you eat pre and post workout? These don't have to be complicated meals, but intense exercise definitely means you should include those extra meals. These aren't snacks but they're not the size of full meals usually either; the template says half a meal size or less. Pre workout focus on protein and fat (no carbs), and post workout focus on protein and carbs from starchy veg (no fat). The meal template recommends eating immediately after the workout. That might really help in your case! Even though you don't have a ton of time, you could make hard boiled eggs ahead of time for pre-workout and eat one or two, then have some sweet potato and a little chicken after. If you have time to prep this ahead of time, then you could portion out all your pre and post work out meals for the week and just grab and go day-of. Hope this helps!

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, Tarrantrl said:

I definitely think you can do a Whole30 with those physical demands! Since Whole30 doesn't require you to cut calories or anything, you should be able to eat the right amount to fuel you. How is your hunger between meals? If you're hungry in less than 4-5 hours, try upping the size of your meals. Fat may be the one thing you're lacking a little bit since for meal 1 and 3 it looks like you're relying mostly on cooking fat. Maybe not enough of that is getting onto your plate from the pan. Don't worry about having 2 different sources of a fat at a meal if that is something you're concerned about. I have vinaigrette, half and avocado, AND 2T of sunflower seeds with my lunch every day! It's hard to overdo the fats (as long as you're not binge-eating nuts).

You've got at least one starchy veg with the sweet potato in the morning, but maybe try adding some at another meal! This can take experimentation, but I noticed that my energy is better if I have a starchy veg with breakfast. Maybe try having one for dinner and see if that helps.

The meals that you listed seem like a decent size to me, but I'm not training for a marathon or breast feeding. You probably need more food! Do you eat pre and post workout? These don't have to be complicated meals, but intense exercise definitely means you should include those extra meals. These aren't snacks but they're not the size of full meals usually either; the template says half a meal size or less. Pre workout focus on protein and fat (no carbs), and post workout focus on protein and carbs from starchy veg (no fat). The meal template recommends eating immediately after the workout. That might really help in your case! Even though you don't have a ton of time, you could make hard boiled eggs ahead of time for pre-workout and eat one or two, then have some sweet potato and a little chicken after. If you have time to prep this ahead of time, then you could portion out all your pre and post work out meals for the week and just grab and go day-of. Hope this helps!

Yes to all of what @Tarrantrl said but specifically the bolded part. Also, in addition to pre and post workout food, we also tell women that are breastfeeding that they can do well with up to four full meals per day. Sipping on coconut milk or eating handfuls of olives between meals is also handy to keep your calories and fats up. This is all in addition to workout food. Eat more!

Night sweats and disrupted sleep can also be a part of sugar withdrawals, just like withdrawal from any other substance. Depending on how heavily you were relying on or using sugar, this might happen for a bit. If you can, try to eat protein and fat if this happens again. Although the apple probably worked, long term your better bet is to get your body to stop relying on quick sugars. Of course the apple is fine and apples are great, so no shade - just if you are looking for more long term solutions, the bigger picture steers away from using fruits to quell sugar issues. Medical issues notwithstanding.

Archived