Dr. suggested I eliminate high histamine foods

I'm on day 40 (I decided to extend because I came down with the flu on day 12), and I'm feeling pretty good. Except, I'm still getting migraines once a week. Overall, they're not coming as frequently as before, and they don't last as long, and they're not as intense. Today I had a regular checkup, and my Dr. and I talked about them a bit. She suggested an elimination diet, and when I said I was doing a Whole30 she was thrilled with that, but suggested I consider avoiding high histamine foods as well. I'd never heard of this before, but the more I google it, the more it makes sense given my history. So, it looks like I'm going to go a little longer (I'm kinda getting over this...).  I was going to start introductions on Sunday, but if I've already gone this far, I figured it would be the best time to see if I can learn something new. 

Has anyone else reduced their histamine foods? How long did it take you to see results? My Dr. didn't specify a duration, but I figure I'll know whether it's helping within the next 2-3 weeks. 

Also, I need to taper off the weight loss. I can only lose 4 more pounds before I'm "underweight". Cutting out starchy veggies (among other things) is going to be rough, but hopefully will give me some answers. Should I up my protein from one palm to two? I can only dump so much oil and ghee on my food before it gets a little gross.

Why are you cutting starchy veggies? Every list I've seen doesn't mention potatoes, sweet potatoes, or the other starchy veg as high histamine foods. Many of the foods you would need to eliminate are already out for Whole30. 

Add the starchy veggies back in. You can hide a lot of ghee in mashed potatoes to get the fats in ;) 

I don't know anything about high histamine foods... But, regarding the weight loss piece, there are more fat sources than oil and ghee so maybe try incorporating more of those! Here are some of my favorites!

• meatballs dipped in mayo 
  • guacamole on ... well, anything 
  • whole avocados as a side 
  • "salsas" with avocado (think something like a mango avocado salsa) 
  • coconut milk in coffee or soups or creamy sauces 
  • sauces like pesto on zucchini noodles 
  • handfuls of olives 
  • handfuls of coconut flakes 
  • oil-based dressings on a salad (I like a mix of lemon, olive oil, and pepper drizzled generously over a salad) 
  • bacon for breakfast (or lunch, or dinner, or all three) 

And, if you can keep those starchy vegetables around, those should help you keep on some weight too!  I wish you the best of luck! 

• Moderators

If you haven't read it yet, this seems like a good explanation of histamine intolerance and how this couple deals with it:   https://www.stephgaudreau.com/what-is-histamine-intolerance/

The list she links to definitely contains some starchy vegetables as low-histamine foods, including sweet potatoes and winter squashes.

Also, while it doesn't focus on the histamine stuff, you might read through this article on keeping weight on and see if any of it is helpful:  https://whole30.com/2013/12/keeping-weight-whole30/

6 hours ago, laura_juggles said:

Why are you cutting starchy veggies? Every list I've seen doesn't mention potatoes, sweet potatoes, or the other starchy veg as high histamine foods. Many of the foods you would need to eliminate are already out for Whole30. 

Add the starchy veggies back in. You can hide a lot of ghee in mashed potatoes to get the fats in ;) 

The list my dr have to me listed them as high histamine, but now I’m seeing there are many different lists out there, and potatoes are most likely medium histamine foods. Sweet potatoes are anti histamine, so I can keep them. Ghee is mashed potatoes is one of my staples at the moment, so I really don’t want to get rid of them. 

5 hours ago, kirbz said:

I don't know anything about high histamine foods... But, regarding the weight loss piece, there are more fat sources than oil and ghee so maybe try incorporating more of those! Here are some of my favorites!

• meatballs dipped in mayo 
  • guacamole on ... well, anything 
  • whole avocados as a side 
  • "salsas" with avocado (think something like a mango avocado salsa) 
  • coconut milk in coffee or soups or creamy sauces 
  • sauces like pesto on zucchini noodles 
  • handfuls of olives 
  • handfuls of coconut flakes 
  • oil-based dressings on a salad (I like a mix of lemon, olive oil, and pepper drizzled generously over a salad) 
  • bacon for breakfast (or lunch, or dinner, or all three) 

And, if you can keep those starchy vegetables around, those should help you keep on some weight too!  I wish you the best of luck! 

Most of these are actually high histamine foods I’ll be avoiding :( I’m hoping to keep potatoes! I need to do more research for sure. 

2 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

If you haven't read it yet, this seems like a good explanation of histamine intolerance and how this couple deals with it:   https://www.stephgaudreau.com/what-is-histamine-intolerance/

The list she links to definitely contains some starchy vegetables as low-histamine foods, including sweet potatoes and winter squashes.

Also, while it doesn't focus on the histamine stuff, you might read through this article on keeping weight on and see if any of it is helpful:  https://whole30.com/2013/12/keeping-weight-whole30/

Going to check them out now. Thanks!

Archived