Morning Hunger

I am finding that I am VERY hungry in the morning - like nauseating hunger within about 10 minutes of waking. I have always had a pretty sensitive stomach in the morning and love breakfast so have no problem eating within an hour of waking as the program recommends, but my schedule doesn't always allow  me to eat IMMEDIATELY (and I would at least like the flexibility to not have to). Having to plan for this additional kind of "mini meal," is kind of a pain. Is this hunger a sign that my hormones have regulated, or am I maybe not eating enough at dinner/eating dinner late enough? I know we're supposed to be hungry upon waking but this is kind of annoying, haha. I read ISWF again while doing this W30 so this has been on my mind. 

I actually just finished my latest Whole30 and am moving onto Reintroduction, but this has been happening for about 2 weeks, probably. 

I usually eat dinner between 5 and 6 p.m. and usually have carbs with dinner - typically potatoes. I would LIKE to go to bed around 9 but lately it has been 10, so maybe I am also just overtired. I typically wake between 5:30 and 7 either for work or my 6-month old. 

Thanks for your thoughts!

• Moderators

I'm not sure. It's good to be hungry in the morning, but this sounds a little extreme. You could try having a few bites of something maybe an hour before bedtime -- maybe some protein and fat, like a hard boiled egg with a little mayo. Whatever seems like it would work for you. Try that a few nights, see if it makes a difference, if not, let us know, and we'll see if we can figure out something else. 

If you want something you could prep beforehand to have first thing that would taste ok straight out of the fridge, maybe breakfast casseroles or frittata. 

• Administrators
On 5/30/2019 at 4:56 AM, emilyelowe said:

I am finding that I am VERY hungry in the morning - like nauseating hunger within about 10 minutes of waking. I have always had a pretty sensitive stomach in the morning and love breakfast so have no problem eating within an hour of waking as the program recommends, but my schedule doesn't always allow  me to eat IMMEDIATELY (and I would at least like the flexibility to not have to). Having to plan for this additional kind of "mini meal," is kind of a pain. Is this hunger a sign that my hormones have regulated, or am I maybe not eating enough at dinner/eating dinner late enough? I know we're supposed to be hungry upon waking but this is kind of annoying, haha. I read ISWF again while doing this W30 so this has been on my mind. 

I actually just finished my latest Whole30 and am moving onto Reintroduction, but this has been happening for about 2 weeks, probably. 

I usually eat dinner between 5 and 6 p.m. and usually have carbs with dinner - typically potatoes. I would LIKE to go to bed around 9 but lately it has been 10, so maybe I am also just overtired. I typically wake between 5:30 and 7 either for work or my 6-month old. 

Thanks for your thoughts!

Hi Emily, are you still breastfeeding? If so you probably need to eat another meal during the day to accommodate that extra energy output.

Archived