Is this worth it?

SmartyJill

I’m on Day 15. I initially started with the hope of helping me with some pain issues (I’m 52). My pain has not improved from what I can tell. The only benefit perhaps is better sleep (if I’m not getting up to pee constantly). I haven’t really noticed looser clothing either. It’s frustrating. My most difficult sacrifice is my glass of wine after a long day. I ask myself if it’s really worth continuing. I ate pretty good before Whole 30..maybe that’s why no big changes?

• Moderators

It's a 30 day program, you're only halfway through, and just now getting into the days when people really start to notice results, so keep at it, give it some more time, and see if you start seeing more changes. You've come this far, may as well finish it out so you know for sure whether it's going to make a difference for you.

And yes, if you were eating pretty well before, your results may not be as dramatic as someone whose previous diet was not great.

I think the better you eat before W30, the less remarkable the changes are - for me, I didn't suffer any of the 'bad' effects at the started (withdrawals, headaches, hangover etc) but it also meant that I didn't get the "whoa! I feel amazing!" that many people get.

It also means that changes will be more subtle and take longer - I didn't really start to feel a marked improvement for at least 3 weeks on W30, and couldn't put hand on heart and say I felt "great" until near the end. I never did get Tiger Blood. 

But it's so worth it, even if you don't get the results you hope for, you do get knowledge - knowing for sure that the pain you suffer isn't caused/cured by foods is valuable knowledge. For me, knowing which of my symptoms are not addressed by diet is as helpful as knowing which ones are. It means I can be more proactive in focusing other treatment options on them.

Also remember that Whole30 is AN elimination diet, but not the be-all and end-all elimination diet. If you're still feeling inflammation or pain post-Whole30 (or a longer Whole-period) and believe it's worth pursuing other food avenues to make sure it's not what you're eating, then by all means it's worth chasing down other leads... maybe work with your doctor or a dietitian to discuss FODMAPs, set aside a time to test other groups that aren't addressed by Whole30 (like nightshades, for instance), and so on. Does it take time? Absolutely. But is it worth it to find out whether or not some of our favorite foods could be causing problems (pain or otherwise)? ...Yeah, absolutely!

As Schrod said, it's so very worth it even if you don't walk away with the specific results you hoped for -- because you arm yourself with more knowledge about how your body reacts to foods (physically and psychologically).

Pain isn't always food-related, but could definitely be related to other things (some of which can be affected by diet but others which aren't).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am 52 too.:) I say yes it is worth it. I am on day 19 and I plan to do another one immediately following this one. My results have been drastic probably because I ate ALOT of sugar and grains. I have dropped 6 pounds and 2-3 inches on my tummy. I am profoundly ecstatic and grateful to be turned on to the WHOLE30. I do exercise and have increased my output to get better results for my body. As far as not seeing a change, all I can think of is adding in exercise and drinking more water to flush your system. Anyhow, there was a reason why you started it so stick with it! BTW I gave up diet coke and that was tough-there has been a lot of mental struggles and grumpiness not to have my diet coke and sweets...I have been focusing on asking myself why? For me, my mindset is keeping my eye on the prize. Good luck and stay with it. 

Makana

4 hours ago, Makanab said:

Hi,

I am 52 too.:) I say yes it is worth it. I am on day 19 and I plan to do another one immediately following this one. My results have been drastic probably because I ate ALOT of sugar and grains. I have dropped 6 pounds and 2-3 inches on my tummy. I am profoundly ecstatic and grateful to be turned on to the WHOLE30. I do exercise and have increased my output to get better results for my body. As far as not seeing a change, all I can think of is adding in exercise and drinking more water to flush your system. Anyhow, there was a reason why you started it so stick with it! BTW I gave up diet coke and that was tough-there has been a lot of mental struggles and grumpiness not to have my diet coke and sweets...I have been focusing on asking myself why? For me, my mindset is keeping my eye on the prize. Good luck and stay with it. 

Makana

Congrats, but do remember that one of the hard and fast rules of Whole30 is that you are not allowed to weigh yourself during the 30 days! :)

Day 18 here. I am by nature a skeptic. I have put aside my reservations and held true to the rules. Today I can say yes, it is worth it. My clothes feel more comfortable, I am breathing better and sleeping like a log. I have more energy. I haven’t been hungry. What is most remarkable to me is that today I think I would only want to add back brown rice and chickpeas in reintroduction. Since I didn’t t think sugar or pizza I am amazed. That is a huge change. It’s worth it.

Karen

Archived