Need Ideas - Not Hungry and Nauseous

Carrie D

I am on day 5 and have completely lost my appetite and am nauseous when thinking about eating certain foods.  I feel at a loss for what to eat!  Having an especially hard time with breakfast.  The thought of meat is making me sick too.  Any advice?

• Moderators

Unfortunately, not eating will make this worse, so you'll need to figure out something to eat.

Ginger or peppermint teas can help with nausea, and you can have them hot or cold, so if you're feeling that way around meals, maybe try some and see if it helps.

Maybe eggs or fish for your protein if you're not up for meat right now. If you have some compliant broth, you could heat that up to just boiling and drop a raw scrambled egg in to cook for something like an egg drop soup -- you can look up recipes for ways to season it or other options to include, but that would get you some protein in a mostly drinkable form, if that helps.

For breakfast, you can eat anything you'd eat any other time of day, so some people like leftovers. Something like these salmon patties that you could make ahead and reheat might be good:  http://meljoulwan.com/2014/11/10/oven-fried-salmon-cakes/. If it's hot where you are, maybe put together a salad -- there are tons of ways to make a salad, but try something like jicama, snap peas, shredded carrots, avocado, diced zucchini or yellow squash, some grilled chicken or hard boiled eggs (or some of both), either a handful of blueberries or a diced peach, and whatever green leafy stuff you like, toss it all with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar, add salt and pepper to taste. I think that little bit of sweet from the fruit, the crunch of the jicama, and the creaminess of the avocado would be a good combo and not feel too heavy. Obviously, switch out ingredients you don't like, include others that sound good to you.

• 1 month later...

You definitely should eat somethings, because otherwise you will feel worse, worsen your skin and end up eating some junky food :( in the morning you can eat some yogurt with fruits or make a toast with an egg or salmon. Check out the healthy zucchini bread recipe instead of the usual bread, it will give you more energy and nutrition for the day

@Sharon90 Unfortunately, the suggestion of toast wouldn't be in line with Whole30 rules, because we're not to recreate any baked goods (even with entirely compliant ingredients -- and the linked recipe calls for all-purpose flour, wheat flour, honey, and vanilla extract, all of which are not compliant). Yogurt is possible on Whole30, but it's probably easier to make a compliant one than it is to find one in the store.

Eating is important, I agree, and not eating will lead to deeper problems... but if the original poster (or anyone else struggling with this kind of an issue) intends to follow Whole30, they'll definitely need to make sure to keep the rules of the program in mind, so any suggestions we make for them should also do that.

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, it's not intended to be -- I just believe it's important to support each other within the rules of the program that brought us to this forum :) 

8 hours ago, Sharon90 said:

You definitely should eat somethings, because otherwise you will feel worse, worsen your skin and end up eating some junky food :( in the morning you can eat some yogurt with fruits or make a toast with an egg or salmon. Check out the healthy zucchini bread recipe instead of the usual bread, it will give you more energy and nutrition for the day

That recipe is nowhere near Whole 30. Have you read the rules, or even checked out what the basis of Whole30 is? Is that your own website you're linking to?

• 2 months later...
On 8/27/2019 at 10:03 AM, Jihanna said:

and vanilla extract, all of which are not compliant

Going to make a note here that vanilla extract is apparently allowed now... though the rest of the ingredients I listed are still out for the course of a round, and the vanilla still can't be used in recreations for things like bread. I'm guessing it might be helpful in tea or coffee, though, for some.

• 2 months later...

Carrie, 

Back to your original questions...

I am on Day 4 and in the exact same position as you are.  I lose my appetite during the day and foods look gross to me.  I, too, am feeling nauseous.  In fact, I sent out a post with the same issue and a nice woman named Melissa responded to me.  You are not alone and I think that this is perfectly normal as your body adjusts!  I'm finding that it helps to microwave leftovers for breakfast so that I don't have to take time to make a breakfast that I'm wishing I did not have to eat.  Melissa suggested peppermint tea and ginger tea for the nauseous feelings.  My mom made me parsley tea because she says that it helps with bloating.  You did not mention bloating in your post, but I've been having that issue.

Hope you feel better!

Maria

Archived