Hey everyone! I am so happy to be back here after almost 2 years (EEK). I did my first whole30 after a recommendation from my OBGYN when I was having undiagnosed lower abdominal pain and irregular periods. I did not make it to day 30 because I got myself really sick(long story) but I felt fantastic. For 3 months post whole30 I felt incredible. I did not do a proper reintroduction because of falling off the wagon, but this time no excuses. After suffering 5 years with a whole host of symptoms I finally have a diagnosis. Hashimoto Thyroiditis. My mom was recently diagnosed so I got myself tested and came back positive. I have been on medication since July 6th and have noticed much improvement. I didn't want to make any other major changes right away so I could see how the medicine is working. I see the endocrinologist the 25th of July and if they approve I will be starting my Whole30 on the 25th. I have been building up to make major life changes for the past year. Both my kids will finally be in school and I will have more time for me to really focus on myself. I plan to exercise regularly in my free time, and start eating better. For me as a teacher my "new year" starts in August not January so I'm jumping head first into the new year for a better me. I am much more serious this time around because I know this disease is lifelong, and I will always have struggles, but I feel with a better diet and life style changes I can conquer this disease and hopefully prevent myself from developing other autoimmune disease.

I chose the 25th because I will most likely be going on vacation shortly after and I don't want to be in caffeine withdrawal during that time so that's why I'm not choosing an easy to remember day like the 1st. Also I want to be as far into my Whole30 as possible when my school(prek teacher) starts on the 19th. My kids will also be visiting their grandparents for the first week of my Whole30 so it'll really help me focus on me that first tough week. I am an open book and am happy to share my thoughts and experiences as well as every day of this journey with everyone. I could Definetly use all the support and love I can get since I'm in this alone. My husband and kids are anti dietary changes, but I will slowly sneakily start changing my kids diet, and maybe eventually drag hubby along. I do buy all the groceries. Lol

So here's to jumping into a happier healthier me for life!

• Whole30 Certified Coach
18 hours ago, Sjodo said:

Hey everyone! I am so happy to be back here after almost 2 years (EEK). I did my first whole30 after a recommendation from my OBGYN when I was having undiagnosed lower abdominal pain and irregular periods. I did not make it to day 30 because I got myself really sick(long story) but I felt fantastic. For 3 months post whole30 I felt incredible. I did not do a proper reintroduction because of falling off the wagon, but this time no excuses. After suffering 5 years with a whole host of symptoms I finally have a diagnosis. Hashimoto Thyroiditis. My mom was recently diagnosed so I got myself tested and came back positive. I have been on medication since July 6th and have noticed much improvement. I didn't want to make any other major changes right away so I could see how the medicine is working. I see the endocrinologist the 25th of July and if they approve I will be starting my Whole30 on the 25th. I have been building up to make major life changes for the past year. Both my kids will finally be in school and I will have more time for me to really focus on myself. I plan to exercise regularly in my free time, and start eating better. For me as a teacher my "new year" starts in August not January so I'm jumping head first into the new year for a better me. I am much more serious this time around because I know this disease is lifelong, and I will always have struggles, but I feel with a better diet and life style changes I can conquer this disease and hopefully prevent myself from developing other autoimmune disease.

I chose the 25th because I will most likely be going on vacation shortly after and I don't want to be in caffeine withdrawal during that time so that's why I'm not choosing an easy to remember day like the 1st. Also I want to be as far into my Whole30 as possible when my school(prek teacher) starts on the 19th. My kids will also be visiting their grandparents for the first week of my Whole30 so it'll really help me focus on me that first tough week. I am an open book and am happy to share my thoughts and experiences as well as every day of this journey with everyone. I could Definetly use all the support and love I can get since I'm in this alone. My husband and kids are anti dietary changes, but I will slowly sneakily start changing my kids diet, and maybe eventually drag hubby along. I do buy all the groceries. Lol

So here's to jumping into a happier healthier me for life!

Hi and welcome! We are so glad to have you here! Congratulations on making the commitment to yourself to change your relationship with food :)

We are here to support you so please keep coming back! You are definitely not in this alone. Please let us know if you have any questions, and best of luck! You got this!

Thanks so happy to be here. I mapped out my next 60 days to make myself accountable by logging meals and planning around future trips and training, meetings and anything that may interfere with my 30 days and my reintroduction phase. I have my 30 days plus reintro takes me to around days 42. From there I'll go off Whole30 only eating the foods that do not have a negative effect on my health and I planned to reevaluate once a week to keep me on track and focused. My hope is that by day 60 I am in enough of a routine with my day to day and my workouts that keeping it up will be easier. I work with a lot of people that are very food conscience whether it be just to feel and look good, or because they are fighting disease also like Celiac's. I have a great group of women surrounding me to support me. I think the hardest part for me will be if I cannot handle gluten (which is a good possibility). I love to bake and make homemade treats so that would be a huge adjustment for me, but we will deal with that hurdle in approximately 40 days. For now I'm just gonna take this one day at a time and I'm so ready to start my Whole30 tomorrow. I know logging in here and posting is a great way to stay accountable and find support. I am very optimistic about this and think I will handle this very well this time. Can't wait to see my NSV on day 31 and see the improvements with my health and managing my Hashimotos disease.

2 minutes ago, Sjodo said:

Thanks so happy to be here. I mapped out my next 60 days to make myself accountable by logging meals and planning around future trips and training, meetings and anything that may interfere with my 30 days and my reintroduction phase. I have my 30 days plus reintro takes me to around days 42. From there I'll go off Whole30 only eating the foods that do not have a negative effect on my health and I planned to reevaluate once a week to keep me on track and focused. My hope is that by day 60 I am in enough of a routine with my day to day and my workouts that keeping it up will be easier. I work with a lot of people that are very food conscience whether it be just to feel and look good, or because they are fighting disease also like Celiac's. I have a great group of women surrounding me to support me. I think the hardest part for me will be if I cannot handle gluten (which is a good possibility). I love to bake and make homemade treats so that would be a huge adjustment for me, but we will deal with that hurdle in approximately 40 days. For now I'm just gonna take this one day at a time and I'm so ready to start my Whole30 tomorrow. I know logging in here and posting is a great way to stay accountable and find support. I am very optimistic about this and think I will handle this very well this time. Can't wait to see my NSV on day 31 and see the improvements with my health and managing my Hashimotos disease.

Your plan sounds amazing! Kudos to you for being so prepared. That is the key to success! Having a great support system definitely helps, too, so I am so glad to hear that you're surrounded by supportive women! YAY!

Take things one day at a time, and track all of your NSV's. It is  great way to show how far you've come, and to help you focus on the changes that you ARE seeing.

Looking forward to following your journey!

Just now, ashleyparik said:

Your plan sounds amazing! Kudos to you for being so prepared. That is the key to success! Having a great support system definitely helps, too, so I am so glad to hear that you're surrounded by supportive women! YAY!

Take things one day at a time, and track all of your NSV's. It is  great way to show how far you've come, and to help you focus on the changes that you ARE seeing.

Looking forward to following your journey!

Thanks I am so looking forward to feeling amazing again. For the past 5 years I have struggled with this disease I didn't even know I had. The only time I found relief was when I did my first whole30, but I wasn't in the right place in my life to maintain it. Finally being diagnosed and on medicine has given me some of that whole30 feels back so I wanted to go for it totally and completely. Knowing I'll be dealing with this the rest of my life means I need to make real changes that will last the rest of my life. So I'm returning to my Whole30 knowing ahead of time that I am going to feel amazing in just a couple weeks. This time around I am adding in daily exercise with 1 day of rest. I'm just doing yoga so low intensity, but enough to keep me moving and healthy. Last time I felt so amazing I decided to try Orange theory and oh man was that a mistake I knew I felt great but I totally overdid it ended up throwing up and giving myself the worst sinus infection of my life and from there just dive bombed into old habits no reintro or anything all progress lost. But even without the reintro I still felt really good for 3 months more energy sleeping better no stomach pain(which is why I did it in the first place) but slowly and surely the symptoms came back. So learning from those mistakes I'm going to take it slow and steady and really embrace my new way of life. I don't see why not, but here's praying the endocrinologist says to go for it tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, Sjodo said:

Thanks I am so looking forward to feeling amazing again. For the past 5 years I have struggled with this disease I didn't even know I had. The only time I found relief was when I did my first whole30, but I wasn't in the right place in my life to maintain it. Finally being diagnosed and on medicine has given me some of that whole30 feels back so I wanted to go for it totally and completely. Knowing I'll be dealing with this the rest of my life means I need to make real changes that will last the rest of my life. So I'm returning to my Whole30 knowing ahead of time that I am going to feel amazing in just a couple weeks. This time around I am adding in daily exercise with 1 day of rest. I'm just doing yoga so low intensity, but enough to keep me moving and healthy. Last time I felt so amazing I decided to try Orange theory and oh man was that a mistake I knew I felt great but I totally overdid it ended up throwing up and giving myself the worst sinus infection of my life and from there just dive bombed into old habits no reintro or anything all progress lost. But even without the reintro I still felt really good for 3 months more energy sleeping better no stomach pain(which is why I did it in the first place) but slowly and surely the symptoms came back. So learning from those mistakes I'm going to take it slow and steady and really embrace my new way of life. I don't see why not, but here's praying the endocrinologist says to go for it tomorrow. 

Definitely keep me posted on your progress. I am rooting for you!

Whole30 day 1, here I come!

I have not had soft boiled eggs since my last Whole30 2 years ago. Yummy yummy. That and some fresh fruit and fresh veggies makes for a refreshing breakfast. I forgot how clean I feel when eating clean. Off to my first appt with an endocrinologist. Finger crossed they are on board for my Whole30. Whether or not they are on board there's no reason I can't start my day with a whole30 approved breakfast anyways. 

2 hours ago, Sjodo said:

Whole30 day 1, here I come!

I have not had soft boiled eggs since my last Whole30 2 years ago. Yummy yummy. That and some fresh fruit and fresh veggies makes for a refreshing breakfast. I forgot how clean I feel when eating clean. Off to my first appt with an endocrinologist. Finger crossed they are on board for my Whole30. Whether or not they are on board there's no reason I can't start my day with a whole30 approved breakfast anyways. 

Well my endocrinologist is totally on board. She said as long as I'm doing it for me then that's wonderful. 

Starting this Whole30 off delicious! 

Breakfast soft boiled eggs fresh fruit and fresh veggies.

Lunch grilled chicken strips fresh fruit and fresh veggies

Dinner New York strip steak and sweet potato fries!

Super simple meals considering this was a spur of the moment decision made 2 days ago lol. 

#clean eating, #keep it simple

1 day down 29 to go!

Dear Whole30 day 2,

Please keep my pesky sugar dragon in check today. Yesterday after enjoying an amazing steak dinner and relaxing all of a sudden my body was screaming for some chocolate. Oh Lord thank you that I decided to eat all the chocolate in the house before starting the Whole30, otherwise I totally would have failed on day one. Hubby kept laughing at me for how desperately I wanted some chocolate so I drank a large bottle of water, soaked in a nice warm bath, then laid in bed. By the time I got in bed my sugar dragon was gone...or so I thought. The sneaky dragon decided to take over my dreams and I'll tell you what I had atleast 2 dreams about eating chocolate. 

I wake up this morning with no cravings which is good. If my brain can be satisfied through fake dream chocolate then I'm good with that.

Off to make some eggs. I'm just surprised that it's only day1 and I have had my sugar dragon roaring and already having dreams about food lol. This is either a very good sign or a very bad sign for the next 29 days.

Have a wonderful day!

Another day completed.

Breakfast soft boiled eggs fresh fruit and fresh veggies.

Lunch left over steak sweet potatoes and an apple.

Dinner salad with chicken and strawberries.

Another day of simple meals which I am so thankful for. My sugar dragon was not a problem today, but I have had a massive caffeine withdrawal headache today. Even taking some medicine didn't help. I was able to sleep most of it off after lunch, but it's still lingering a little. Thankfully I "should" only have 1 more day at the most of withdrawal headache. 

2 down 28 to go!

Good morning Day 3.

I woke up with a slight headache this morning. I'm going to hold off on taking any medicine for it and see if it will go away on its own and not get worse. I think this will probably be my last day of caffeine withdrawal. I'm feeling good I know I've been keeping my meals simple but I like it that way. Also I'm going to be going on vacation Monday through Friday so I don't want to leave a bunch of food in the house that my husband won't eat. I may bring some things with me and/or just grab stuff from the grocery store to keep in the kitchen in our suite. Thankfully my sister in law and mother in law are very healthy eaters and will totally be on board with making Whole30 meals for the week. So far a good start to day 3.

One more down.

The headache didn't go away I took some medicine after it started to get worse and that didn't help. I ended up using a natural method to cure it and it worked lol. 

Breakfast I made boiled eggs bacon strawberries and fresh peppers from the garden. Made my hubby an egg cheese bacon pepper and tomato(from the garden) omelette while my eggs boiled.

Lunch I cooked up a large batch of sirloin strips for salad or a quick meal. Had some for lunch with a banana and sweet potato.

Dinner I had a large salad with chicken strips peppers and cucumbers and an apple.

3 days done only 27 to go.

Goodbye day 4.

Definetly felt better today with my headaches. I developed one in the afternoon but not bad enough to take medicine for it. 

Boiled eggs fruits and veggies.

Sirloin strips and veggies and fruit

Chicken fruits and veggies

Off to the beach tomorrow so hopefully I can stay strong and keep it up for the next 5 days.

4 down 26 to go

Well....

I was Whole30 compliant all day I did a really good job and I'm proud of myself...but this darn headache still won't go away even with medicine. I don't want to be miserable fighting caffeine withdrawal all week long while I'm trying to enjoy the beach. So I'm going slightly off Whole30 and will be drinking coffee with cream and sugar every morning, but still trying to stay Whole30 the rest of the time. I know it doesn't count but it'll help me so when I get back from vacation I can start it up again. 

Day 5 done. 25 to go but really 30 after I get home.

Day 6 done. Even though technically I'm not in the Whole30 anymore because I did have coffee with cream and sugar this morning. Otherwise it was a very great day for whole30 food. Simple breakfast. For lunch Bought some fresh mahi mahi and cooked it in a little olive oil drizzled in lemon juice and lightly salted. Soo good and cut up a fresh pineapple. Such a light refreshing dish and very beachy. Had flounder and a salad for dinner at a restaurant. I don't regret having the coffee. My first day headache free in 6 days. 

Coffee itself is totally Whole30-compliant, it's just the cream and sugar that slid yours off the wagon. I definitely didn't put down coffee for my Whole30 rounds, but I also trained myself to drink it black leading up to my first round. I also added in Crio Bru (100% cacao, roasted and ground so it can be brewed with/like coffee) and cinnamon during my second round, and that kind of livened it up a bit.

Part of why we tend to experience headaches in those first days is the loss of added sweeteners, though. A starving sugar dragon tries to run us off the rails in any possible way, and one of those ways is to intensify our detox symptoms. At least, that's how I looked at it when going through it myself.

It looks like you might be keeping this thing going, which is awesome. I'd definitely suggest keeping coffee in the routine, if that's the case, since the caffeine should help with headaches. If you want to tackle dependency on caffeine later, that's awesome, but putting all of your detox in at the same time is a very painful thing and might be a little too much weight to throw onto the start of this type of experiment.

Hey Everyone 

I just started my Whole30 this morning. This will be my 4th round of the challenge over five years. My wedding is just around the corner and I tend to crave sweets and bread when I'm feeling a little stressed. On top of the wedding planning, I'm starting a new job next week. I realize adding the Whole30 will be throwing in a lot of change at the same time, but having really monitored myself over these 5 years, I do well with a structured meal plan when there's tons going on. 

I haven't been too far off the plan so I'm hoping my first week isn't too tiring. My regular eating includes protein, veggies, and some fruit. I thank the Whole30 for teaching me how to create great recipes with whole foods. 

With every challenge, I like to give myself a goal. The last challenge, I was able to reduce my caffeine from 4+ cups a day to only one in the morning. This challenge, I want to create minimalist meals with fewer ingredients. I know meal prep is really important with any diet, but I'd like to reduce the time spent on prepping and cooking on Sunday and spend more time with my fiancé. I also want to look up some easy slow cooker meals. I can prep dinners in advance and then just pop them in the slow cooker before I head out to work. 

Well...I'm looking forward to a great Whole30 challenge and excited I found a strong group of challengers! Chat with you guys tomorrow! :D

Good morning everyone! 

My day two went well. I ate whole30 meals, didn't snack (because I wasn't hungry enough to need one), worked out, and completed by Whole30 Day By Day Journal.

I wouldn't say my meals were exciting...eggs in the morning, tuna for lunch, and lettuce wrapped burger for dinner but they were easy to throw together and I was pleasantly full.

I have been a little foggy, I can't seem to concentrate for too long when reading, I'm a little sluggish, but I'm lucky to have the next couple of days off before my next job to get over the worst of the Whole30. I'm going to take some time this weekend to meal plan for the coming week including some emergency snacks if I get stuck in traffic. 

I hope all of you guys are doing well with your challenges! Can't wait to hear how you guys are doing :) 

On 7/31/2019 at 9:43 AM, Jihanna said:

Coffee itself is totally Whole30-compliant, it's just the cream and sugar that slid yours off the wagon. I definitely didn't put down coffee for my Whole30 rounds, but I also trained myself to drink it black leading up to my first round. I also added in Crio Bru (100% cacao, roasted and ground so it can be brewed with/like coffee) and cinnamon during my second round, and that kind of livened it up a bit.

Part of why we tend to experience headaches in those first days is the loss of added sweeteners, though. A starving sugar dragon tries to run us off the rails in any possible way, and one of those ways is to intensify our detox symptoms. At least, that's how I looked at it when going through it myself.

It looks like you might be keeping this thing going, which is awesome. I'd definitely suggest keeping coffee in the routine, if that's the case, since the caffeine should help with headaches. If you want to tackle dependency on caffeine later, that's awesome, but putting all of your detox in at the same time is a very painful thing and might be a little too much weight to throw onto the start of this type of experiment.

Thanks for the advice I can't drink coffee any way other than how I always drink it. It's funny but it's just how I've been drinking it since I was a kid(dad used to give me sips of his coffee). Honestly I didn't have other problems my sugar intake isn't that high to begin with. It was Definetly caffeine withdrawal I was experiencing. I had no problems as soon as I started drinking coffee even though my diet was still all Whole30 otherwise. I'm going to just keep eating whole30 for awhile +the coffee and slowly switch to decaf, then no coffee at all and start my day one on the day I can go with no coffee. The caffeine withdrawal was so much worse this time bc I was drinking 2 cups a day where I used to only drink 1 a day last time I did the Whole30. I've had some pretty amazing meals while I was on vacation and had so much fun cooking Whole30 for my like minded in laws. They loved it. Not sure if I'll keep posting everyday. I'll probably just start posting every couple days to keep up my motivation and progress and as I said give updates on my coffee weaning.

Archived