Quit everytime right before my Period. Help.

BethanyFigs

Hi everybody!

We're planning on trying Whole30 for the fourth time after our vacation. Two weeks. I have quit on day 10, 17, and 27, and have yet to complete it. The factor that combines all of these is my period. Every single time I've quite I have started my period one-two days after. Every. Single. Time.

Do you guys have any suggestions? I use my Fitbit to track my cycles, but I'm still a little irregular. 28-34 day cycles. In fact, I skipped my period on my first Whole30, though I wasn't that concerned since I drastically changed my eating and your body reacts to that.

Any who, with using my fitbit, I can guestimate when my period will be coming and can hopefully prep for it so I can finally finish the program. When my period is about to come, is there anything I should do differently?

Thanks,

Bethany

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, BethanyFigs said:

Hi everybody!

We're planning on trying Whole30 for the fourth time after our vacation. Two weeks. I have quit on day 10, 17, and 27, and have yet to complete it. The factor that combines all of these is my period. Every single time I've quite I have started my period one-two days after. Every. Single. Time.

Do you guys have any suggestions? I use my Fitbit to track my cycles, but I'm still a little irregular. 28-34 day cycles. In fact, I skipped my period on my first Whole30, though I wasn't that concerned since I drastically changed my eating and your body reacts to that.

Any who, with using my fitbit, I can guestimate when my period will be coming and can hopefully prep for it so I can finally finish the program. When my period is about to come, is there anything I should do differently?

Thanks,

Bethany

What is it that causes you to quit?  You're extra hungry, you're craving, you're crabby, you're tired?  I think if you determine what it is that makes you want to quit, then we can provide some direction on how to get around those symptoms.

Yeah, should have posted more! My bad.

I think, if I remember correctly, it was more moodiness than anything. It’s been a few months- so I can’t remember it perfectly. I didn’t really have cravings, more of a sense of “I’m done with this!” (I know, childish). Energy levels seemed ok. More of an attitude of just wanting to be done. Hopefully that helps. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, BethanyFigs said:

Yeah, should have posted more! My bad.

I think, if I remember correctly, it was more moodiness than anything. It’s been a few months- so I can’t remember it perfectly. I didn’t really have cravings, more of a sense of “I’m done with this!” (I know, childish). Energy levels seemed ok. More of an attitude of just wanting to be done. Hopefully that helps. 

It's good to really take a look at what is making us want to quit, especially when it's around the same time all the time.  Moodiness is a real thing for people who menstruate - knowing it's moodiness and that it's not that you're deprived or starving helps because you can affect change in your thinking.  It might help to just do it one meal at a time... then you're not thinking about ALL that time you have left which being moody can catastrophize into a bigger deal than it needs to be.

You might also want to check and make sure you're eating at least a fist full of starchy carbs a day (or more) in the week leading up to and the week of your period.  Also pay attention to making sure you're eating enough overall - undereating can contribute to moodiness for sure.  There was a mod on here previously who used to double her intake during her period and again, that makes total sense because your body is preparing to maybe make a new person so hunger and appetite and intake requirements can change.

You can also try coming here for some encouragement or tough love when you're feeling like quitting and we can help talk you through it :)

2 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

You might also want to check and make sure you're eating at least a fist full of starchy carbs a day (or more) in the week leading up to and the week of your period.  Also pay attention to making sure you're eating enough overall - undereating can contribute to moodiness for sure.  There was a mod on here previously who used to double her intake during her period and again, that makes total sense because your body is preparing to maybe make a new person so hunger and appetite and intake requirements can change.

I can TOTALLY throw my hands up in an "Amen!" moment on this one.

Once I feel my PMS symptoms hitting, I start boosting starchy carbs little by little to help keep my mood stable. I also boost protein, since that also seems to help me. If I've been eating nuts AT ALL prior to this, I stop them cold at this point because nuts + period = hell for me; nuts throw my hormones so far out of whack it's not funny, and I usually will avoid them regardless as result.

As soon as I start, I try to take in more iron-rich foods. I'm borderline anemic, so this is an important part of managing my health.

Pain is inevitable for me, but I usually will try to calm cramps and the like by drinking a little extra coffee in the morning (caffeine) and also using herbal teas that include muscle-relaxing compounds. Sometimes it's necessary to grab actual pills, and if that happens then it happens and I'm okay with that.

Good luck to you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is extremely helpful information. I was just thinking that every Whole30 I do I notice my cycle shortens from 30 days to about 27 days. I had never heard that nuts can impact hormones, but I try to avoid nuts due to over-consumption.

I have also wondered if my PMS is worse during a Whole30. I notice my worst fights with my partner are typically during a Whole30 when suddenly everything he does makes me mad. I think the combo of missing alcohol and PMS are to blame. Poor fellow.

• 1 month later...

Archived