Advice for starting over or continuing Whole30

Annielaura

Hello! I've been doing my best to complete my first Whole30 since June. I've been tempted to remain a "Whole30 Hermit" so I could successfully complete the program unscathed, but continue to fail when I challenge myself to dine out. I start over fresh immediately after discovering there were noncompliant seasonings, additives, oils, etc. in the food. Today is Day 29 for me, and although I'm so excited to feel the relief from the pressure this program puts on me (I'm a severe perfectionist!), I'm honestly wondering if I should start over again. Yesterday I dined out and asked my server for no oils or seasonings in an already compliant meal. She was very attentive and helpful, going out of her way to consult the manager. The pans and grill they use to cook contain butter residue, but they would not add anything else to it for me. Since i do not have an allergy, I believed this to be a go. I was careful not to touch the bottom of the skillet when eating (which had butter) but it still didn't taste right. It tasted too good! I was immediately concerned, the over easy egg on top was oddly fluffy too, as though pancake batter had been added to it. I stopped eating immediately, leaving the majority of the meal behind, and discarded my current (yet delicious) mouthful into a napkin. I am aware starting over is a personal decision to be made, but this is so "on the line" for me that I would greatly appreciate any and all advice! Provided is a similar picture of the meal I ordered: a veggie skillet from Denny's. Thank you all so much for reading through.

Veggie Skillet.jpg

• Moderators

I think you're fine.

Over easy eggs are generally not the ones they add pancake batter to, they do that to scrambled eggs and omelettes -- where the yolks are going to be broken up anyway, so you don't really notice they stir in batter. You can't add batter to a whole egg, it would break the yolk, and then you wouldn't have an over easy egg anymore. If you asked about all the ingredients, and they assured you they wouldn't add anything you couldn't have, you did everything you were supposed to do, and they probably did what they were supposed to do too, but if they didn't, there's no way for you to know if they did or didn't, you have to take their word for it. 

I love that you’re paying such close attention to detail! Like the poster above said, you can’t really add pancake batter to an over easy egg. It sounds like the waitress listened to you and I think you should believe her that they followed your instructions. 

You mentioned you’ve “failed” multiple times from eating out - were all of those scenarios like this, where the waiter listened to your needs, but you guessed that there was a non-compliant ingredient? I’m just wondering if there is potentially a reason you’re sabotaging your Whole30. Are you nervous about leaving the Whole30 rules behind and moving on to reintroduction then food freedom? You mentioned you’re a perfectionist - are you not letting yourself succeed and complete the program for some reason? This may be worth exploring and reflecting on... 

Wishing you well! 

During previous scenarios, it was on me. I would forget to ask about things that appeared to be already compliant on the menu, such as seasoned broccoli. I couldn't fathom that a seemingly simple, dry seasoning could contain butter flakes! This is due to a lack of practice I'm sure, as I am improving with each outing. I struggle with poor memory sometimes when it comes to taking in a lot of information. My second week during my first attempt, I ate CORN ON THE COB! I truly ate it with good intentions after reading The Whole30 cover to cover. I was so distraught once it clicked afterwards, and frantically flipped through the book to confirm my mistake.
The reason I joined the Whole30 was to help with chronic acne. Although I truly do want to succeed and complete the program, I am nervous about reintroduction. I'm willing to take on a Whole60 and even a Whole90 because my painful, chronic acne has improved. I feel so much better about my skin! Postponing reintroduction is a mixture between wanting to see if my skin can get even clearer, and being fearful of having my old skin back.

0AF19899-EC8C-4875-9C17-1618FE7C5B97.JPEG

Gasp! Your skin transformation is amazing, Annielaura! What an awesome NSV! It sounds like you’ve learned a lot and really understand the Whole30 rules now - so the good news is it will be much easier for you to complete additional rounds in the future. 

It is pretty common for people to extend their Whole30 to try to address specific issues so it’s completely up to you if you think you need or want to stay on the program longer.  My only advice is to just keep an eye on your calendar and make sure you allow time for the full 12+ days you need for reintroduction. So just make sure you don’t stay on program so long that suddenly you have an event on the calendar where you’re not going to be able to do a structured reintroduction (I.e. a wedding where you want to drink and have cake or a special holiday meal or a vacation, etc). 

You are doing awesome and I’m so happy the Whole30 is helping you! 

Oh my goodness, you are so beautiful!  How do you ever leave the mirror?? :wub: 

I heard something recently I'd like to share.  At work we took this leadership course and the first part was learning about yourself.  One of the personal styles was "Be Perfect" which I scored high in, but I scored higher in "Try Hard", which means I make every little event into an epic project.  I love it when the results are perfect, but as long as I've tried so hard I've almost killed myself, then I'm satisfied.  Gasp!  Who wants to live that way?

Then later there was another slide with a few quotes from people who took this course previously.  One of the simplest quotes hit me like a sledge hammer:

DONE is better than perfect. 

And you are done, girlfriend!  Congratulations!!  Now you can chose how you want to continue, because you are in charge of continuing v. reintroduction v. continuing with modifications, etc.  Go forth and conquer! :)

Archived