Jan 7 starters group

Stepford WASP

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is anyone seeing any difference at all in their body composition or in how their clothes are fitting? I am not.

And now, after reading one of Tom's posts about fat, I am thinking I have been eating way too much fat. I have been making it a priority in my meals but now I am just more confused.

Not yet, but my stomach seems less bloated. I'll have to try on my target jeans and let you know if I can zip them, LOL!

Is anyone seeing any difference at all in their body composition or in how their clothes are fitting? I am not.

My jeans fit straight out of the dryer instead of being too tight. Less bloat. I haven't been any more or less thirsty.

I've made it to day 10! I tried spaghetti squash for the first time yesterday. I could do without it plain, but it tasted excellent with the spaghetti sauce I made. I cooked something in coconut oil for the first time this morning, and I have coconut milk to try later in the week. I have enough leftovers right now that I won't need to cook anything new for lunch or dinner tomorrow.

I have also been hoping that my clothes start fitting better but I am not sure they do yet.

One of the hardest things to do (and I seriously didn't think it would be) is not weigh myself in the morning. I want to see the progress and I used to measure it in pounds so I am not sure how to get validation that what I am doing is making a difference.

I really hope after this week I start seeing the changes because stickign to this program does take a significant amount of effort. Doing my best to stay up-beat!!!!

I haven't seen any huge changes yet either. Other than the simple fact that I have no guilt when I eat. It's all good for me and I don't have those guilty feelings that I used to when I made nachos for dinner or ordered pizza. I like that feeling.

I think my body is adjusting, as my workouts are getting better and I think I 'may' see a little less 'extra' in my waistline. I've began the process of tweaking what I'm eating before and after workouts to get the best energy/recovery I can.

If no guilt when eating is all I get, I think I'm good with that. I love that everything I'm putting in my body is good for it, how can that be wrong? I know this kind of positivity isn't likely to last, but I'll take it when I can get it!

kluv - I hear you! Not weighing myself has actually been the hardest part of the Whole30 for me!

I have definitely noticed a decrease in bloat & my clothes, while not loose-fitting, are no longer tight :P I'm pretty convinced that I've lost about 5 lbs but I figure it's best not to weigh myself because if it were less than 5 I'd be disappointed. But why? I feel way better & I feel at least 5 lbs lighter. Isn't that more important than the number on the scale?

And sometimes seeing that number drop makes you a bit cocky & a tad more indulgent so it's probably best to just know things are going well. At least these are the things that I'm telling myself in order to stay off the scale. And the fact that hubbie hid it doesn't hurt either. ;)

Telly, my boys are 2 and 6. The 2-year old is an incredibly picky eater with a very limited diet, so I'm not going to mess with him. My older son is a great eater, so I have been feeding him whatever I eat for dinner, but for lunch and breakfast he can have what he wants. He's a very healthy eater overall so I'm not too concerned about him.

And yes, "Well Fed" is awesome. The grilled chicken breasts are amazing! I want to try the meatballs, but I will use beef instead of lamb. Not a big lamb fan.

I'm sure your 2 year old will outgrow it. Sometimes it's best not to fight it, as food wars can only make things worse right?

For the most part my girls are both good eaters (the younger just turned one so it's hard to tell, I think she's just so excited to be eating solid food & feed herself). 90% of the food they ingest is homecooked so I guess I shouldn't be too concerned about what, specifically, they are eating.

No lamb?! :( We are all big lamb fans in our family. It was the 1st meat I introduced to my 1 year old & she devoured it! But still, I'm sure the meatballs will be delicious with beef instead. i haven't tried them but they are on my list to make as well. Let me know how it goes!

Hey tellytelly and lindyj,

Thank you for the encouragement and the ideas. I have definitely lost all feelings of guilt associated with my food intake, even when I have a big steak for dinner! I had not thought of it that way :)

Also, the idea of hiding my scale is probably a great one because I see it every morning when I take a shower and the idea crossing my mind constantly is simply not helping. I will do that as soon as I get home!

I guess not seeing any measurable progress is a good thing because I am not particularly patient and this only tells me that I need to give the process more time. Good lesson for sure. Bye bye short-term immediate satisfaction, welcome long-term hard earned results!

I tried on (and decided to wear) a skirt with a tight waistband today. The last time I wore it, before Christmas, it was uncomfortably tight - so much so that I had to take it off after awhile. I also tried on my jeans. The last time I wore them was early to mid-December. They are fine. I can't say these two things are loose, but they are okay. So at least I know I haven't gained anything.

Also, for the first time, I woke up this morning as soon as I opened my eyes, instead of laying there fighting the urge to go back to sleep, which is typical for me. That is despite the fact that I had trouble getting to sleep last night. (2nd night on Natural Calm).

My workout felt easier today too.

We put our bathroom scale away too. I am actually finding it a relief not to have it calling to me.

I tried on (and decided to wear) a skirt with a tight waistband today. The last time I wore it, before Christmas, it was uncomfortably tight - so much so that I had to take it off after awhile. I also tried on my jeans. The last time I wore them was early to mid-December. They are fine. I can't say these two things are loose, but they are okay. So at least I know I haven't gained anything.

That's very telling! I know I have easily "snuck" 2 extra belly inches into many a pair of pants in my lifetime so being able to feel comfortable in pants (or skirt) that used to be almost unwearable is great news in my book!

Glad to hear of all the other good things happening as well.

Pretty sure yesterday was my "AHA!" day ("Aha....this is what everyone was talking about!"). I can't pintpoint it exactly but I feel lighter, happier, & certainly more energetic than I have in quite sometime!

I'm not too concerned about the 2yo and I do NOT want to get into food battles. I feed him what he likes and try to get him to try new things.

I'm sure your 2 year old will outgrow it. Sometimes it's best not to fight it, as food wars can only make things worse right?

On body image, I think I feel less muffin-toppy. I need to try on a certain pair of jeans to really tell. I know I am less bloated in my tummy.

I had horrible itchiness all over last night! It was so bad I had to take a Benadryl so I would stop scratching. I felt like a dog with fleas, LOL.

I slept great last night, 7.5 hours straight without waking, I must have been exhausted.

Day 10 today, and feeling pretty good. I'm getting a little tired of eggs and need to expand my breakfast horizons. I think sweet potato latkes might be a good thing, with some meat on the side. I'm also not a huge meat eater so this is a big change for me.

I completely know how you are feeling with the scale. My husband too had to hide it on me. It is such a part of my ritual, but probably not a healthy one. I am telling myself that no scale is making pay closer attention to the subtle body changes and focus less on a number that really doesnt mean anything. We'll see how long that lasts... :)

Hey! Day 12 for me!! I have really beet eating some awesome food the past few days and I'm really excited about it. Overall, I really don't have any cravings anymore which is super.BUT I am having a really hard time, not chewing.... I really didn't realize how much of a grazer I am but there are times when I just want to chew something. It is very strange. Even just some leftover beets! Nothing bad but I know its more important for me to try to break this habit so I'm trying now to. Man its hard some days.

On the scale thing-- normally, I weigh myself probably every three weeks so I was like, yea this won't be hard but I really want to too! Stay strong, folks!!

I was thinking this morning when I was changing that I don't feel like I've lost weight but I'm sure I have. Naked I think I look the same but clothes are fitting differently.

I have been SO MUCH BETTER ABOUT EATING BREAKFAST SITTING DOWN AT HOME!!! Huge win for me. I usually eat on the subway because I'm running late. Must also mean I'm waking up clearer and earlier to have time.

Current focus is pre and post workout meals. I haven't gotten this into the groove yet and its still a little messy. I think I just need a few more tries.

Finally, you ABSOLUTELY MUST make a large batch of nom nom paleo's Marinated Roasted Beets. I'm obsessed.

Congrats everyone! Keep it up!!

Oh- also- I have been collecting some of my favorite recipes on a pinterest page if you want to check it out, I'll be adding a lot more as we go!

TGIF and day 12 for that matter.

I am staying at a friends house this weekend. She has three kids and every time I go I end up eating a ton of pasta, pizza and chicken fingers. Never mind the amounts of chocolate and candy constantly being offered throughout the day.

I talked to her yesterday and told her I would be bringing my own food. She was wary. Wanted me to let her know what I can and cannot eat so she can make changes to her weekend menu, etc. Very accomodating but if I handed in the list fo the things I'm not eating, she would have to shop for food and cook separate meals for me. She already has her hands full with three kids under 5, I don't need to bother her with my impositions.

No fret! Worry not! Thanks to the enourmous amount of food I was able to cook and freeze over the last coupe of weeks, I have enough containers to last me the whole weekend and not go hungry. I am looking forward to enjoying the weekend and having some fun with her and the kids :)

I can't wait for next week!

Hey! Day 12 for me!! I have really beet eating some awesome food the past few days and I'm really excited about it. Overall, I really don't have any cravings anymore which is super.BUT I am having a really hard time, not chewing.... I really didn't realize how much of a grazer I am but there are times when I just want to chew something. It is very strange. Even just some leftover beets! Nothing bad but I know its more important for me to try to break this habit so I'm trying now to. Man its hard some days.

On the scale thing-- normally, I weigh myself probably every three weeks so I was like, yea this won't be hard but I really want to too! Stay strong, folks!!

I was thinking this morning when I was changing that I don't feel like I've lost weight but I'm sure I have. Naked I think I look the same but clothes are fitting differently.

I have been SO MUCH BETTER ABOUT EATING BREAKFAST SITTING DOWN AT HOME!!! Huge win for me. I usually eat on the subway because I'm running late. Must also mean I'm waking up clearer and earlier to have time.

Current focus is pre and post workout meals. I haven't gotten this into the groove yet and its still a little messy. I think I just need a few more tries.

Finally, you ABSOLUTELY MUST make a large batch of nom nom paleo's Marinated Roasted Beets. I'm obsessed.

Congrats everyone! Keep it up!!

Oh- also- I have been collecting some of my favorite recipes on a pinterest page if you want to check it out, I'll be adding a lot more as we go!

I'm making the beets and the curry cauliflower from the nom nom paleo website for next week. Thanks for sharing :)

Nice job Kluv, you know what they say "Fail to Plan, Plan to Fail" Good work having all of your food already made and ready to travel with you. You will be far less likley to slip if its all ready done for you and you dont have to feel guilty having your friend make "something special" just for you.

I have two work dinners next week that I am really worried about. Unfortunatley they are the kind of event where you get whatever they give you for the meal, no menu to choose from. Any suggestions?

Nice job Kluv, you know what they say "Fail to Plan, Plan to Fail" Good work having all of your food already made and ready to travel with you. You will be far less likley to slip if its all ready done for you and you dont have to feel guilty having your friend make "something special" just for you.

I have two work dinners next week that I am really worried about. Unfortunatley they are the kind of event where you get whatever they give you for the meal, no menu to choose from. Any suggestions?

This is hard, but I was reading about it somewhere on the Whole9 site and this is what I remember:

- Eat before and after yoru event

- Pack small snack-like items (cut veggies, hard boiled eggs, chicken strips...) that you can sneak in during the event.

- Your best chance anywhere to get something prepped for you is to use the "A" (allegies) word. This is usually my last resort but it works. I talk to the people responsible for the food and tell them I have a gluten and dairy allergy - while this doesn't cover everything you can't eat, it takes most of it out. When I say this in front of friends that know it's not true, I simply explain that I have been getting some "undesirable reactions" to certain foods and I'm trying to pin down which ones they are. Since the reactions are not so obvious, the best way is to remove them all from your diet for 30 days so you can see how your body reacts once you start introducing them one by one after the 30 days. It's not really a lie because in esence that is what you are doing, right?

Good luck!

Thanks! I called the people having the events and asked about the food and I said I had a food "aversion" to dairy and grsains/gluten. Not a lie as ISWF would argue we ALL have an aversion to these things, whether we know it or not! They made a note and said they would ask the venue to have a plain chicken breast or fish fillet and some steamed veggies. I hope they dont slip anything in there. It would be such a shame to mess it up on day 19 next week.

Fingers crossed!

That's so funny- I dealt with conference meals today. I signed up for a conference in April (way after our Whole 30) but I hope to keep eating well. I just checked the gluten free and dairy free boxes. I was so pleased to see those offered!

We went and ate out for the first time during my whole 30- mexican. I order chicken soup with no tortilla or cheese and then had steak fajitas with guacamole and pico de gallo. It was a little strange listing all the things I wanted off my plate but I thanked our waiter for being so accommodating and we left a nice tip. I let my husband have cheese dip and chips and didn't nibble any! :) Success!

Kluv - nice job on being prepared!

Do you mind if I ask what kind of things are you freezing? I've been doing a lot of batch prepping but no freezing yet. My freezer is still full of lasagnas & pasta sauce from the Italian inlaws...

I did make a double batch of the cocoa chili from Well Fed (LOVE it - and I'm generally not a chili fan) so I will freeze some of that but I'd love to hear what others are freezing.

P.S. I think I would have preferred the hockey lockout to have continued a few more weeks. It's tough not having a beer on opening night!!!

Archived