Possible pre-workout meal option?

Angelia

I'm continuing to struggle with a pre-workout meal.  My post-run meal is called breakfast and my post-workout meal is called dinner, so I've got those covered.  But getting some fuel at 5:30am and again in the car between work and the gym is perplexing me.

Is this an option??  Over the weekend I made a smoothie with a gooey banana, almond butter and coconut milk THEN I PUT IT IN THE FREEZER!  The next morning I took it out and thawed it in the microwave enough to be able to get a spoon in it.  I added some blueberries and sliced almonds to the top and ate about half of it before my run.  Is this an legitimate option since I'm using a spoon and chewing?  Or am I cheating by making a smoothie?

Just FYI, my W30 was up in early September, but I love how I feel and I'm working to stay W30 about 5-1/2 to 6-1/2 days a week. 

Well, if you're post Whole-30, you can do whatever you want smoothie-wise.  The bigger thing that stands out to be is that you have no protein in there.

There seems to be two different recommendations on the website.  From the meal planner pdf: https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

They recommend Protein and Fat prior to a workout.  (I'd say this is especially for like weight lifting type workouts.)

There is also this article, which seems to be more geared towards long effort/high intensity type stuff (if the workout is more than 60 minutes at a continuous moderate to high intensity): https://whole30.com/whole30-pre-workout-post-workout/

They recommend Protein and some carbohydrates pre-workout.

I think it's worth playing around with to find out what works best for you with what type of workout, but add some protein to it in either case.

21 hours ago, slc_melissa said:

Well, if you're post Whole-30, you can do whatever you want smoothie-wise.  The bigger thing that stands out to be is that you have no protein in there.

Yes, I'm post W30, but I figure if the "chewing to make our body know it's time to start burning fuel for energy" works during W30, then it should work for me in my post ~ 85% W30 life style??  There is protein in the almond butter, but not a lot.  I could add some protein powder, which I lived on prior to W30, especially if I can find some not artificially sweetened?  My bigger problem is I'm TOO FREAKIN' LAZY to miss even one minute of sleep, so I want to eat something in the mornings that is as compliant as possible but doesn't take a lot of time to prepare and is not hard to digest resulting in GI issues during my run.  I was hoping I had stumbled onto a *genius* W30 hack to meet all  needs!  :ph34r:

Thank you for the links, I will continue to research and pursue!!   

1 hour ago, True Primal said:

Are you struggling to get enough calories for the day?

Heavens no!  I do not ever feel overly hungry or tired or that my performance is suffering.  I lost 4 lb. during W30 and another 3 lb. in the 5 weeks since.  My goal is to lose 11 lb. more to hit "normal" on the BMI scale.  I don't know why that's my goal, but it is...  so continuing on this gentle path is working great for me! 

I run 5K on Mon/Wed/Fri/Sat mornings.  I workout (45 min) at the gym on Mon/Wed and most Fridays, unless I get a better offer!  ;)  *Sometimes* (2x per month max) I do Zumba on Tuesdays, Pilates on Thursdays, yoga on Saturdays.  Just trying to keep my body guessing!  I'm divorced and my 2 kids are grown, so fitness is my hobby now!  I've also been working for the same company for almost 30 years so I'm well established enough now to LEAVE ON TIME and get to my activities.  I started this pilgrimage in Feb. 2014 and have worked up to the schedule above.

Thank you for asking!!  If you care to and can find it, look at the photos in my profile.  As I've stated before, I can fairly easily do W30 5.5 - 6.5 days per week and I feel great!  The only thing I can't seem to master is the pre-workout meal.  Sigh.... :rolleyes:

I feel like the almond industry has done a stellar job somehow advertising themselves as "high" in protein.  Yeah, they've got some protein, but they are much higher in fat and are considered a fat source on the whole30.

The unflavored paleo protein from Amy Myers has no sweeteners or other ingredients:  https://store.amymyersmd.com/products/the-myers-way-paleo-protein-unflavored

I'd say it needs to be blended.  (You can't just stir it into something, in my limited experience.)

Maybe a blend of pureed sweet potato (you can find cans of this in some stores), coconut milk, and protein powder?  A little bit of fruit for flavor if needed?  (A more complex carb like sweet potato might do your body better than the fructose in fruit.)

Nice job on staying compliant most of the time!  Sounds like your're rocking it.

22 hours ago, slc_melissa said:

I feel like the almond industry has done a stellar job somehow advertising themselves as "high" in protein.  Yeah, they've got some protein, but they are much higher in fat and are considered a fat source on the whole30.

Very good point, thank you!  I guess I've been thinking almonds = peanuts, and "everyone" is always talking about eating peanuts for protein.  Everyone except the W30 tribe!  Thank you for the excellent suggestions.  I love sweet potatoes and can certainly work with that.  The protein is pricey, but looks ideal for my purposes.  I have a hand-held immersion blender and I'm not afraid to use it.  ;)

I'll give this a go next week! 

18 hours ago, True Primal said:

I'm not sure why you think you need a preworkout meal for running.

Well, now that you mention it, I'm not sure either...?  I read the WHOLE30 book and that is what it suggests to get your body amped up and ready to start burning.  In my mind running is a workout, so I was looking for ways for me to get in a pre-workout meal.  I've been running routinely for about 5 years prior to my W30 and never had anything to eat prior to running, but if it would help my performance, my energy, my fat burning/muscle building then I was ready to try it.  As stated, I've thus far not figured out something that works for me - so maybe I DON'T need this piece!  How eye-opening! 

Thank you so much for your input, @slc_melissa and @True Primal !!  At ease!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2019 at 12:30 PM, Angelia said:

Yes, I'm post W30, but I figure if the "chewing to make our body know it's time to start burning fuel for energy" works during W30, then it should work for me in my post ~ 85% W30 life style??  There is protein in the almond butter, but not a lot.  I could add some protein powder, which I lived on prior to W30, especially if I can find some not artificially sweetened?  My bigger problem is I'm TOO FREAKIN' LAZY to miss even one minute of sleep, so I want to eat something in the mornings that is as compliant as possible but doesn't take a lot of time to prepare and is not hard to digest resulting in GI issues during my run.  I was hoping I had stumbled onto a *genius* W30 hack to meet all  needs!  :ph34r:

Thank you for the links, I will continue to research and pursue!!   

I teach a pretty high level class and I usually have an extra bar just to get something with a proper macro balance in me. Then after class I like to cook eggs with brussel sprouts and a sweet potato with half an avocado. Hard boiled egg has been a go to at times pre or post depending on my time frame. I take a little ghee in the morning coffee too 

hope this helps a little 

• 2 months later...

Since you are doing a great deal of running and you are a zumba warrior, i'd say you need to add a fair amount of carbs in your pre-workout(and post-workout) meals. To my knowledge stick to the carb/protein equation before training and consume all macros after. 

Archived