Day 24 Mood Swings

Ash2019

I'm on day 24 and the last week or so I have been super struggling with my moods. One day I was in a rage all day. Yesterday I cried multiple times at work. I'm trying to figure out if I could improve this by eating differently? (I've been eating consistently throughout my 24 days, though the mood problems are getting worse.)

Here's a typical day of food for me:

Breakfast:

• Coffee with ghee and coconut oil
  • 2 eggs

Mid-morning:

• Beef broth

Lunch:

• Beef
  • Mixed greens
  • Sweet potato
  • Banana

Mid-afternoon:

• Kombucha

Dinner:

• Chicken breast (cooked in coconut oil)
  • Avocado
  • Plantain (cooked in coconut oil)
  • Broccoli
  • Raspberries

I appreciate any tips! I feel like these strange swings of emotions are going to do me in.

This honestly sounds like me if I don't realize I'm heading into my menstrual week. I'm not sure if that could maybe apply to you or not, but if it does, then it might be worth tweaking your usual intake a bit. Every body is different, of course, but most of us do need to change it up a little bit to accommodate our body's extra needs that week (or the extra hormones/emotions). For me, that means skipping nuts in any form leading up to that week, boosting protein and starchy veggies (up to about 2x normal during that week), and skipping most fruits or things that strike my palate as "sweet" because that seems to react oddly with my emotional balance. I've found it helpful to use herbal teas that promote peace, calm, and restfulness near bedtime as well, since those typically help me get better sleep (which is much harder to come by during that week than it is usually).

Again, it might not apply to you, so just ignore those references if it doesn't... but I've found that tweaks here and there definitely have profound effect at times, and think it's worth you making changes (even small ones here and there) to see how they affect you and if there's something that works to help balance you out.

• Moderators
On 10/24/2019 at 4:11 AM, Ash2019 said:

I'm on day 24 and the last week or so I have been super struggling with my moods. One day I was in a rage all day. Yesterday I cried multiple times at work. I'm trying to figure out if I could improve this by eating differently? (I've been eating consistently throughout my 24 days, though the mood problems are getting worse.)

Here's a typical day of food for me:

Breakfast:

• Coffee with ghee and coconut oil
  • 2 eggs

Mid-morning:

• Beef broth

Lunch:

• Beef
  • Mixed greens
  • Sweet potato
  • Banana

Mid-afternoon:

• Kombucha

Dinner:

• Chicken breast (cooked in coconut oil)
  • Avocado
  • Plantain (cooked in coconut oil)
  • Broccoli
  • Raspberries

I appreciate any tips! I feel like these strange swings of emotions are going to do me in.

My suspicion is if this is typical menu for you, then you've been undereating for the last 24 days and while it does seem sustainable for a while, it always catches up to you.

Eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... usually a minimum of 3-4.  There's no veggies in your breakfast, no fat in your lunch and you're probably short on veg there too since greens don't have a ton of volume once chewed down.

Try making your meals more closely match the template and honestly, I'd replace that fruit with veg until you start feeling better as it may be keeping your sugar cravings alive which also does nothing for our moods...

Archived