Starting Jan 1, 2020

PZZ

I'm brand new to Whole30 and I'm trying to get as much info as I can before I start. I've read It Starts with Food and I've read The Whole30. I have started cooking a number of the recipes and I'm finding my husband and I are totally loving the meals. I have been a pretty healthy cook for a long time, so I have a number of recipes that are close to compliant. I do have a question about what to substitute for flour for thickening a gravy. I have arrow root powder, is that a good choice or is there a better option?

THANKS

• Moderators

I would definitely look for recipes using arrowroot powder to get an idea for ratios, it's not going to be quite like regular flour. Tapioca starch is another option. You can also make a gravy by cooking down vegetables in broth until it has reduced, and then blending it, like this: https://cookeatpaleo.com/easy-paleo-gravy/. If you Google Whole30 gravy, there are a ton of recipes so you can see how different people do it.

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to say, I made gravy last night with the broth from my pot roast, using 4T of arrowroot flour and 2T of water (I'd read that you have to double what you'd do with cornstarch).  It did thicken and it tastes good, but it's weird...it's almost "stretchy" - as in you lift the ladle out of the pan and it stretches a bit like the slime kids play with.  When you mix it into your food it loses that and is fine.  I don't know how else to describe it. LOL

Next time I'll try tapioca flour and see if it's more like corn starch. 

4 hours ago, Liliona said:

I just wanted to say, I made gravy last night with the broth from my pot roast, using 4T of arrowroot flour and 2T of water (I'd read that you have to double what you'd do with cornstarch).  It did thicken and it tastes good, but it's weird...it's almost "stretchy" - as in you lift the ladle out of the pan and it stretches a bit like the slime kids play with.  When you mix it into your food it loses that and is fine.  I don't know how else to describe it. LOL

Next time I'll try tapioca flour and see if it's more like corn starch. 

I find this with both arrowroot and tapioca starch, and I don't like it at all. I've had the best success with potato starch - Bob's Red Mill does one. It doesn't give that funky texture!

Archived