Liliona's Log

Liliona

Who am I? 

I'm 56, I'm really very (morbidly) obese, newly diabetic, with HBP and acid reflux.  I've spent a lifetime getting here.  I have a son who's made me insane though I love him dearly, now living two states away.  I have an amazing wonderful husband of almost 20 years who has always loved food as much as I do and we are NOT good for each other in that respect.  We're wonderfully happy together and I can't imagine life without him.  We virtually never fight and well...we have one of those marriages that everyone else wants to have whether they know it or not - we're that good together.:wub:

My mother died when she was 60 - because she was fat and unhealthy.  I only had her 23 years.  I miss her dearly and recently have realized I'm going to see her again much sooner than I want to unless I do something drastic.  So while Whole30 isn't a diet, it hopefully will do exactly what we need, break our habits of just grabbing a burger and fries or ordering pizza whenever we're in a hurry, buying junk food snacks when we're taking a car trip, ice cream every little bit, etc.  My husband is worse than me with the sugar - much worse.  Thankfully when I suggested this, he agreed.  That I was crying and telling him I truly believe I might die if we don't do something may have helped. :unsure: Whatever it takes.

So...today is not day 1.  Today is day 11.  I'm doing pretty good.  WAY better than I expected, actually.  I've had no cravings to speak of, no desire to get a drink or eat chocolate., no nausea, no exhaustion, no "kill all the things" moments.  Some minor headaches which may be more related to a lack of caffeine than anything else...maybe blood sugar as they generally go away when I eat.  But generally I feel good! :)  Better than I did 12 days ago.

The biggest problem I have is getting enough vegetables.  We were better week 1, but my husband became kind of ill on day 5 - he has IBS-D and he's had serious stomach problems, bloating and cramps.  So he's gone from eating the planned meals to W30 Chicken Soup and applesauce and soft eggs, etc.  I'm of course trying to eat what he does to some extent.  And I HATE vegetables for breakfast - just can't stomach them before about 11 a.m.  So breakfast is usually eggs, sausage, with potatoes or maybe fruit or today some tomatoes.  Lunch is usually left-overs from the night before and dinner is whatever is on our list.  Tonight it was supposed to be chicken tikka masala with zucchini and yellow squash.  That's not going to happen because I have a metric ton of pulled pork left over from carnitas and slaw I made on Tuesday and the soup we made last night. 

I need a salad.

Yes salad!  I’m trying to make it a point when I look at my plate just before digging in and if it appears lite on veggies and heavy on starches I add salad greens.  I’ve started keeping them washed chopped and prepped for this reason.  I don’t worry about adding any other veggies to it (unless they are already cut up and ready to go).  I toss it in a bowl and  I treat it like I’m in a restaurant and eat the salad first.  I eat my salad first or else I most likely won’t eat it at all because I love me some meat and taters.  

For the mornings I will often add leftover veggies to my eggs if I have them if not I eat some berries or an apple and just leave out fruit for the rest of the day.  I think the biggest thing is to be mindful of the balance you provide your body.

congratulations on your day 11.  It’s amazing how when we really want this, it becomes a little easier to say no to the consumption that was making us sick.  I’m cheering for you and I’m looking forward to your day 30 post in 19 days!

@Liliona Welcome and thank you for sharing your story! I wish you and your husband the very best! And I commend you for taking this step and starting the journey. Your story reminds me of my mom and I very much wish she was willing to do something like this to help herself. 

Anyway, I also struggle with vegetables for breakfast so I just wanted to share a tip that has helped me immensely! The answer for me has been creamy soups! It's loaded with vegetables but tastes very palatable for breakfast. Just creamy and warm and delicious! I pretty much exclusively rotate these two recipes: 

I hope that helps! 

Thank you!  The soup sounds good, but I don't know about breakfast.

I know I should eat something besides potatoes for breakfast...but the thought makes me a little nauseated.  Our go-to was yogurt and cereal and on the weekends eggs (with cheese - lots of cheese).  I can manage tomatoes, salsa, and that sort of things.  Sweet potato is fine.  Maybe I can try some type of roasted veggies, like root veggies and squash, etc. and see if that is something I can manage. 

Definitely need to start salad with meals though - there is not enough green in our diets.  Thanks for the warm welcome! 

Hey! Welcome! This is a good place to be and a good process. I lost 65 pounds this last year and that started from a Whole30 approach. It works for me. The cravings go away and I found after a while, I start to naturally eat appropriate amounts. In the beginning though, I eat far more nuts than I  should and I totally ignore suggested serving sizes and eat and eat so that I'm not tempted by other things. What I love the most is that when I stick with a Whole30 esque approach, after a number of months, when I get sick, I no longer get AS sick as I did before and I no longer rely on the inhaler. AND, my blood sugar and inflammation markers went down considerably. So....if it's working for you, keep going - potatoes and all.  It's SO worth it.  It's a bummer your husband is limited in what he eats and hopefully things start to balance out for him. That doesn't sound fun at all.

You must be on Day 13 or 14 by now - nicely done!!

On 1/30/2020 at 4:52 PM, kirbz said:

I have made those recipes and loved them!!!  I also recommend paleomg.com recipe called Crockpot Sweet Potato Basil Soup.  I add cooked chicken into it...it’s so creamy and I love eating it for breakfast.  I have used the Golden cauli soup with chicken in it for breakfast too.  Yum!  Good luck.  I’m on Day 3.  Hope to see more of your posts so I can get inspiration from someone a bit ahead of me.

Archived