Bri's Whole30 Log

life2.0

Hi, everyone! I'm Bri!

I'm new here, and I am currently on Day 5 of my first round of Whole30. I have considered trying it quite a few times in the past, but I decided to finally take the plunge after my 32nd birthday in New Orleans, where I ate a ton of food that was tasty and also made me feel like crap. I read a lot on this forum before starting, so I figured I would join. I like logs for holding me accountable, but I am most looking forward to tracking all the changes I hope to experience and hopefully integrating into a new community!

So far, I have experienced some positive changes including much less bloating, virtually no sugar cravings, and a lighter feeling overall. I didn't expect this to happen so quickly, so these are welcome changes!

Unfortunately, I also experienced a few terrible headaches, particularly on the night of day 2 when I experienced the second migraine of my life. It was absolutely terrible. I also had a dull headache all of day 3, and a mild one that sort of ebbed and flowed yesterday on day 4. I have a very, very minor headache today, so I am hoping they are on their way out. I hardly ever get headaches, so this has been very weird for me. I'm thinking it's sugar withdrawal, but it may also be connected to my period also starting on day 3. We shall see. 

I am very happy that I haven't been struggling with cravings. It definitely helps that my partner is also trying to eat cleaner, and therefore, we don't have a bunch of junk in the house, but I haven't yet felt like I wanted to go off track. Hopefully I am not speaking too soon, but this is not nearly as hard as I thought it would be! The real test will be when I visit with friends on Sunday, but I am actually looking forward to it for some reason.

Welcome Bri!  Congrats on making it to day 5.  It’s amazing how quickly our bodies respond to clean food and dense nutrition.  Some days are harder than others and over the course of thirty days you will most likely go through a gambit of emotions and thought.  The forums is a great place to log your foods, your struggles, and your celebrations.  My favorite was the food logs posted as it gave me a great spring board for meal ideas.

Thank you, @BabyBear!

It's funny that you said that because I just came on to record that I am actually experiencing some cravings today! I think it mostly has to do with the fact that I didn't eat until 5 after cooking and cleaning all day. I am hoping a nice meal now will crush them!

Today was meal prep day, and I cooked for myself and my partner.

I made a fish stew with kale, tomatoes, and sweet potatoes, red curry shrimp, and cashew cream sauce with marinated mushrooms and caramelized onions that we will eat over zoodles. I am looking forward to digging in! I really love that this program has required me to be more creative in the kitchen. I've been wanting to try chia seed pudding for years, but I never did for whatever reason. I finally decided to make it yesterday to add in some variety, and I love it as another option for breakfast! It's awesome to be able to eat such yummy food and still feel (and actually be!) healthy. I did get a few fried seafood cravings today, but staying busy and waiting it out has helped. 

...and I just ate a bunch of salsa on my meal, randomly decided to look at the back, and there's sugar AND soybean oil in it. WHO PUTS SUGAR AND OIL IN SALSA????? I honestly feel like I am about to cry. I definitely took for granted that I didn't need to read the label on a fresh salsa. I'm so upset. 5 days for nothing. 

2 hours ago, life2.0 said:

...and I just ate a bunch of salsa on my meal, randomly decided to look at the back, and there's sugar AND soybean oil in it. WHO PUTS SUGAR AND OIL IN SALSA????? I honestly feel like I am about to cry. I definitely took for granted that I didn't need to read the label on a fresh salsa. I'm so upset. 5 days for nothing. 

The rules say you should start over at day 1, but....  My opinion is that that specific rule is for people committed to re-introduction trial and error, which is kinda a big deal with the whole30, but to be honest it hasn’t been a big deal to me.  My main gig is just getting through 30 days following the rules, but 1 or 2 small slip ups isn’t going to make me start over.  Now eating a slice of pizza- yes, I’d start over.  Going for the peanut butter and eating a spoonful- re-start.  It’s definitely up to you and what you want to accomplish.  Get new salsa tomorrow and keep going is what I’d say.  Call it day 6 or call it day 1...no one will judge you here in the whole30 logs.

3 hours ago, life2.0 said:

Argh, how annoying!! I don't trust anything these days, if I haven't read the ingredients, it doesn't go in my head. I had to start over on day 5 of my first round, because I discovered sulfites in my lemon juice, which I was putting in my water multiple times a day. I ended up just calling it a whole 35 :)

I'm with you - WHO THE HECK PUTS SUGAR AND OIL IN SALSA?!!! It's total craziness. It's really frustrating to be caught off guard by those things too because some things seem like they don't need to be double checked.

But, regardless of if you continue or start again at Day One, the first five days are not for nothing. They are five days where you ate cleaner than you would have otherwise which is huge. I was on Day 15 last July when I realized I'd screwed up so badly that there was no way I could continue so I went back to Day One (with a lot of annoyance and grumbling), but by the time I got to Day 30 (which was really Day 45), I was appreciating how much those first 15 days prepped me for a successful Whole30.

I also forgot all about chia seeds. I like them a lot! Maybe I will follow your lead and prep some custard things for breakfasts this week.

Oh no! I was so paranoid about this happening I read everything that wasn’t prepared by me every time I went to use it.  It happens. Sadly there is a lot of garbage in a lot of salsas.  I had better luck with some of the fresher salsas in the deli area of my grocery store.  Hopefully the little exposure didn’t cause too many cravings for you.  Make a not of it and tag the 5 days on the back end if you decide you are doing reintro 

Archived