Feeling anxiety over eating out!!

MissHLG

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF I NEED TO START MY WHOLE30 OVER

My last whole 30, I made everything at home because HOW CAN YOU REALLY TRUST SOMEONE???

I get so much anxiety about, what if there is butter on the grill. What if they are using canola oil... and so on and so on that I can't even eat out anymore without feeling super guilty even after checking with them on all the ingredients.

Well, this whole 30 ...I ordered the whole30 chipotle bowl twice. The first time I thought - wow this tastes great!!

The second time I thought... is this too good to be true? How do I know they used the right chicken? What if the person making this bowl didn't know exactly what needed to be in it?!

And then the whammer…. I found a corn kernel in my salad bowl! I took it out, but that was half way through eating. What if I accidentally unknowingly ate another corn kernel???

My friend says I'm being ridiculous and don't need to start over on Day 1.... but I just don't know.

Can someone please ignore my craziness for a second and tell me what you honestly think???? THANKS

and also, any tips for guilt-free eating out?

Hi MissHLG,

Anxiety around eating out on the whole30 is totally normal! It sounds like you're doing all the right things by asking the restaurant about ingredients, cooking oils, etc. Restaurants are used to answering ingredient questions or making modifications, because so many people have allergies or intolerances. I think you can trust that they are making any modifications that you request (the last thing they want is a customer to get sick after eating their food). Also, seed oils are banned on whole30, but it's only suggested to limit canola oil at home. This rule is specifically because some restaurants only cook in canola oil, and the whole30 program understands that you may want or need to eat outside of your home sometimes! I don't think you need to start over after finding 1 corn kernel in your salad bowl. It was 1 kernel that you did not eat. Lastly, there is no such thing as a perfect whole30. This article is great to reassure that you're doing your best, and sometimes good enough is good enough. https://whole30.com/perfect-whole30/

Hope this helps! Keep up the good work.

Kay

• 3 weeks later...

Oh I didn’t know about the canola oil.

i think you’re spot on by saying there’s no such thing as a perfect whole 30, and that’s really what I was attempting. 

I know though that the rules are very stern on saying if you have one bite of something then your body composition might as well be starting over.

but I’m freaking trying my hardest so I just got to give myself some grace!

• 5 months later...

Today was my first day off.  I went out for lunch at BWW.  I quietly freaked out in my head about it. I had 5 naked chicken strips with Garlic Parmesan sauce on the side, I ate maybe two tablespoons of sauce.  It cane with chips and salsa.  I ate 5 chips dipped in salsa. I still feel guilty and have no desire to eat out.  

On 10/24/2020 at 8:20 PM, JoeyC7474 said:

Today was my first day off.  I went out for lunch at BWW.  I quietly freaked out in my head about it. I had 5 naked chicken strips with Garlic Parmesan sauce on the side, I ate maybe two tablespoons of sauce.  It cane with chips and salsa.  I ate 5 chips dipped in salsa. I still feel guilty and have no desire to eat out.  

I'm a little confused...are you doing a Whole30 right now? I'm assuming not?

Archived