Overeating, bloating, and feeling lethargic

Hi Everyone! 

I am currently on day 14 of my first Whole30. I started this to eat healthier foods and learn to control my cravings. Before, I would consistently overeat cookies and other sugary treats while undereating healthy foods. For example, I wouldn't eat all day only to eat a small dinner and then lots of cookies at night.

Now that I have started whole30, I haven't had cravings for food groups that are not allowed. However, I have had intense bloating and constipation and I have felt very tired and overly full. Additionally, I cannot seem to stop eating. No matter what food it is, I feel out of control. 

For example, today I ate about 15 homemade meatballs, spaghetti squash with marinara, a large orange, 2 sliced apples with large spoonfuls of almond butter, seven dates dipped in almond butter, and a few spoonfuls of almond butter. It is only four PM. For some reason, none of the foods seem to satisfy me even though I am full to the point of discomfort. I still have the desire to eat more. 

I am not sure what I should do to fix this. I didn't allow myself to eat any fruit or almond butter for days eight and nine. I was less prone to overeating but I was exhausted and my brain felt foggy. After I reintroduced fruit, I went right back to overeating it and everything else.

Additionally, I have felt very weak during my workouts. I typically run 3+ miles every day. For the past two weeks, I have been really struggling when exercising. My mile pace has slowed by about a minute and I feel worse than I did at a faster pace. 

Does anyone have advice? I am trying to make the most of these thirty days and I am sick of feeling overly full, tired, and unsatisfied. I am confused about why my body feels worse even though I am fueling myself with healthy foods. 

Thank you to everyone who takes the time to read this and offer advice! I really appreciate this!!!

• Moderators

Have you tried to follow the meal template? How has that worked? (You can download it here if you need it: https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/)

Are you having at least one serving of starchy vegetable each day (potato, sweet potato, beets, turnips, carrots, parsnips, winter squashes like butternut or acorn squash, or plantains)? Having these consistently may help with the workouts, although it is not unusual for workouts to be a struggle for the first week or two as your body adapts to this new way of eating. 

Archived