Gum

Heather Robertson

• Moderators

No gum during a Whole30. Chewing gum is mindless eating. In addition, it signals your body that food is coming and fakes your digestive system and hormones out. Basically, chewing gum is all bad and no good. Now is a good time to break your habit.

Gum is verboten on the Whole30, reasons outlined in the guidelines. Besides the bad chemicals ( one of which is almost certainly an artificial sweetener, all of which are outlawed!) it sends a wonky signal to your body that it is about to get food...and then it doesn't, and gets confused, and it just sets you up for all kinds of problems. Give it up! I did, and it is oddly freeing...

I was happy to give up gum. Every time I chew it for a few days, my jaw gets all messed up and hurts like crazy and starts cracking and popping. I'm sure not everyone is affected in that specific way, but the way it affects your digestive system should be enough to convince anyone to stop.

Funny, before I came across whole9, I was thinking of taking up the gum habit because I was sick of eating all the time (only the fact that I cant tolerate sorbitol stopped me). Of course now I dont need it because all the good saturated fat has fixed the ravenous feelings. Good luck on kicking the habit....

@Callan - I experience the same thing with my TMJ. Maybe you have the same? Gum just kills my jaw. Also popcorn and salt water taffy. At least there aren't many offenders to worry about on w30, so win win?

I probably do. Fortunately, it is not a common occurrence.

Archived