No weighing, but can I check my measurements?

I haven't been weighing at all since the day before I started and I'm on Day 13, but can I check a few measurements? I took measurements for my waist, hips, thighs, before I started and just felt ....I don't know, bloated or something today. I didn't get a good night's sleep last night because I was running errands until late in the evening then had to be up early this morning for work.

So is there a rule about taking your measurements?

Darn. Well okay then. Until today I've enjoyed not worrying about how much weight I think I need to lose all the time, and it really has allowed me to focus on my health instead. I just "felt" fat today. I think I'm actually just tired from lack of sleep. I think I'll start using the H.A.L.T. test when I'm feeling like falling into my old pattern. Today, the big T for Tired.

Just look in the mirror :) But not for half an hour :ph34r:

It's hard I know, this is my 5th round, and this week I've had the scales itch but NO I shall not cave to the mechanical/digital box of doom. The only measurement I took at the start was my tummy pudge and I can tell from the mirror that has deflated somewhat.

Just my two cents...

If you feel bloated today, then why today (of all days) would you want to take your measurements? If you were going to take them, why not take them on an good day instead of a bad day?

I haven't been weighing at all since the day before I started and I'm on Day 13, but can I check a few measurements? I took measurements for my waist, hips, thighs, before I started and just felt ....I don't know, bloated or something today. I didn't get a good night's sleep last night because I was running errands until late in the evening then had to be up early this morning for work.

So is there a rule about taking your measurements?

Melelina, it's really warped thinking but I thought "what if I'm gaining weight?" What if I get to the end of 30 days and I've gained weight instead of losing? For most of my adult life I've associated weight loss and even a healthy body with deprivation so my subconscious mind has a hard time believing I can feel this sated and not be gaining weight.

I didn't measure myself yesterday but Derval, I did take a look at myself in the mirror and thought my legs had a little more definition in them. Thanks for the suggestion.

I totally totally hear you on this. With every single word. After measuring, weighing, tracking every little morsel that went into my mouth - for way too many years - I am having the same trouble. I am going on vacation and would love to lose some of the weight I put on recently. At the very least, I sure don't want to go any heavier. So I am quite concerned. But part of the reason for doing this is to learn to listen to my body (love nurture and respect). I know if I got on the scales right now, it would mess with my head big time. And I don't want to do that.

And I am very bloated too. I look like I have a baby bump.

Melelina, it's really warped thinking but I thought "what if I'm gaining weight?" What if I get to the end of 30 days and I've gained weight instead of losing? For most of my adult life I've associated weight loss and even a healthy body with deprivation so my subconscious mind has a hard time believing I can feel this sated and not be gaining weight.

I didn't measure myself yesterday but Derval, I did take a look at myself in the mirror and thought my legs had a little more definition in them. Thanks for the suggestion.

I too am having trouble staying off the scale, not measuring, and not tracking every calorie! My clothes are not looser, they do feel different but I can't tell you how or why. I'm terrified of weighing the day after this Whole 30 and finding I've gained even more than before I went on it. BUT! Today, on Day 12, I woke up and realized my joints don't hurt anymore. For the first time in several years, I have no pain in my hands. My neck feels better. My hip joints feel looser. I have more energy. I'm using less caffeine to get through the day. I feel more joyful. I am finally starting to understand that it really isn't about the weight, although that is the reason I did this. It's about learning to listen to and love my body and trust myself.

PS: I looked in the mirror too, and something is definitely changing... :)

Thanks for the reminder ladies. I'm doing this to feel better, to be healthier. I felt like I had developed arthritis (maybe I did?) before I started W30 because I felt so stiff when I woke up in the morning I could barely get around without hobbling for about 5 minutes. One of the first things I noticed with W30 is the stiffness and pain is gone and I'm also sleeping really soundly.

When I looked in the mirror at myself last night, I really couldn't tell if my body was changing or not. In fact, I couldn't even remember what exactly I looked like when I took my "before" pictures on Day 0. That made me wonder if I've even been seeing myself in the mirror at all. Standing there in the buff, I had to ask myself exactly what it is I'm wanting to see reflected back and honestly, I don't even remember anymore. I'm sure at some point there was some combination of a model/actress/athlete's body that I wanted but I'm 51 years old, I'm way past that now. Or at least I thought I was. Maybe it's another warped script that's still running in my subconscious mode.

So I had to ask myself why I've spent so much of my life wishing I had somebody else's body??? I'd never really thought of it like that either, but I think I've always looked in the mirror and just compared my body to some other body and it never measured up. And you know, my body is pretty nice even with the extra pounds. This W30 really has been good for my mind as well as my body.

So I had to ask myself why I've spent so much of my life wishing I had somebody else's body??? I'd never really thought of it like that either, but I think I've always looked in the mirror and just compared my body to some other body and it never measured up. And you know, my body is pretty nice even with the extra pounds. This W30 really has been good for my mind as well as my body.

I definitely, definitely hear you. Sounds like you're starting to really feel the benefit.

For most of my adult life I've associated weight loss and even a healthy body with deprivation so my subconscious mind has a hard time believing I can feel this sated and not be gaining weight.

I think a lot of us are in this boat - it's hard to give up those beliefs that are ingrained in us pretty hard. Deprivation = losing weight, and losing weight = being healthy, so therefore, deprivation + weight loss = health.

I've gone and done heavy workouts and training sessions after having eaten less than I need to actually fuel the workout, and ended up nearly keeling over and worrying that I had a heart problem. I've gone through the counting every calorie and I'm sick of it. All I've ended up with is being skinny fat, because I've lost the weight but had no energy to do anything.

It's great to see so many women on here dropping the body hate and appreciating their bodies for what they can do and not just how they look.

I know I am gaining rather than losing weight at the moment, and I am also bloated, but that happened to me in the fourth week of my previous whole30... given that this one is a whole100 I figure it will have sorted itself out by then.... when you think about it it is quite normal to have some fluctuations and eat more sometimes and less other times... I am really trying for listening to my body and 'normal' so cant/mustn't weigh!

Archived