Veggies

Sooks

I started with the veggies that traditionally go in omelets -- spinach or mushrooms. Also, tomato sliced with a drizzle of olive oil and some fresh ground pepper is great.

I second this. If you've been raised with the traditional American idea of breakfast, it's hard to imagine eating vegetables at that time because they're not stereotypical "breakfast" foods.

If you've looking for "breakfasts" with vegetables try:

1. As Pomme mentioned, Omelets with veggies inside
  2. Egg Frittatas, Bakes, etc. with veggies inside (Italian Brunch Bake, Breakfast Lasagna, Crockpot Breakfast Pie, etc.) - there are TONS of Paleo recipes like this if you search around the internet. Basically, slice veggies, prep whatever meat, mix with 8-12 eggs, put in baking dish, bake for around 30 min at 400.
  3. Mini-Frittatas
  4. Breakfast Hashes, like Sweet Potato Hash, Rutabaga Hash, etc.

For other ideas, check out my Pinterest board for Paleo Breakfasts: http://pinterest.com/dellanova/paleo-breakfasts/

Basically, use eggs to make the meal feel more like "breakfast" and then add vegetables to them in creative ways.

The other option (which the Whole30 recommends) is to just stop thinking of the morning meal as "breakfast" altogether. Once you get out of the "breakfast" state of mind and start thinking "Meal One" it will be easier for you to eat something like steak and a salad in the morning.

Also can I say that you can get used to and then start to enjoy veggies for breakfast. A couple years ago, steamed spinach was a stretch for me. But this morning, I just ate a full on plate of raw greens with olive oil and lemon for dressing. Because that's what I WANTED to eat.

Also can I say that you can get used to and then start to enjoy veggies for breakfast. A couple years ago, steamed spinach was a stretch for me. But this morning, I just ate a full on plate of raw greens with olive oil and lemon for dressing. Because that's what I WANTED to eat.

Most definitely true! Last Saturday I ate beets and brussell sprouts for breakfast! It's a MAJOR miracle as I previously would call brussel sprouts, those nasty little cabbage things and detested beets just because (don't ever remember eating them). I ate them voluntarily! and liked it! Give it time...your taste buds will change.

the first few mornings I threw onion, mushroom, red bell pepper into our scrambled eggs. I also started adding shredded sweet potato (be sure to dry with a paper towel) that I've fried in coconut oil until it starts to brown and sometimes get slightly crunchy (if I've dried it enough). I've also been putting our fried eggs on a small bed of raw baby spinich. This morning we had butternut squash soup in place of the hash browns.

Stick with what's more comfortable and like everyone has said, the rest will come in time.

Archived