Intro

simmie

OK, I'll start! 

Firm believer in Whole30 (first Whole30 in early 2014), although from a purely personal standpoint on a few items, I tend to stick to the "before the change" (mostly things that are now allowed that were not before).

I have severe arthritis in my right knee, to the point of almost being homebound. It has been suggested by friends and those on a women's osteoarthritis group I'm on that a plant-based diet might help with the inflammation.

II am really hoping that this turns out to be the case. Still trying to navigate what this is going to functionally look like for me after having looked at all the PDFs. Looking for the webinar to help navigate this a little bit in the beginning.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ll be second. 
Hi! I have been plant forward for a few years. plant forward means I am primarily plant based but will sporadically have something with egg or cheese… tacos are my weakness . My husband is WFPB which enabled him to get off of his heart meds and stay off for three years now.

This is my first time trying Whole30. Never bothered before because it went against a lot of the lifestyle we carry. I have started to realize that my dietary needs are different than my husband’s. I have very healthy cardiovascular, so cholesterol, BP, heart health isn’t a risk. Instead, it is the weight gain around my belly and the massive cravings and bloating related to hormonal cycle (fun being a mid-40’s woman). 
My friend, who is starting her second W30, indicated she shedded fat and pointed out there is a plant-based program. So here I am. Trying to figure out how to modify my eating to do this. 
The hardest thing is to “unlearn” the dietary needs based off of my husband’s goals (no oil, no saturated fat ) and try whole30 which inherently encourages fat and oils. 
 One last thing… it’s stupid but I am sitting here and thinking “what do I do with the food I just bought two days before making this Whole40 decision, yesterday?” 
Yup. That’s me.
Looking forward to supporting those who are new to plant based eating

Hi I thought the forum would be buzzing with the plant based launch! My daughter and I are starting next Monday so planning this week. I’m a bit concerned about getting enough protein, while staying reasonably low carb. I’m pretty familiar with the original w30 and always feel much better after doing it so let’s see how we do! 
Signed up to the intro session but it starts at 1am for me ( in the U.K.) and I’m not THAT committed! 
mods : could it be recorded please? 
Good luck all 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, britgirl said:

Signed up to the intro session but it starts at 1am for me ( in the U.K.) and I’m not THAT committed! 
mods : could it be recorded please? 
Good luck all 

You should get the replay, I'm told probably by Wednesday. So watch whatever email you used to sign up, and if you don't get it by the end of the week, let us know and we'll see what we can do. 

On 2/28/2022 at 3:43 PM, britgirl said:

Hi I thought the forum would be buzzing with the plant based launch! My daughter and I are starting next Monday so planning this week. I’m a bit concerned about getting enough protein, while staying reasonably low carb. I’m pretty familiar with the original w30 and always feel much better after doing it so let’s see how we do! 
Good luck all 

I was concerned about not getting enough protein as well. What I have done is I have taken a look at some of my favorite Whole30 recipes and just did a couple of substitutions.

Just as a for instance for you, Pioneer Woman's hamburger soup is one of my favorites and I took her recipe and modified it with some different vegetables that I like (which I've done over the years) and then swapped out the broth and also the hamburger for black beans. This is what a half recipe looks like that I made today and this actually came out fantastic. Just providing the ingredients here so you get an idea. I did this in the crock pot and it took about four hours to cook everything.

2 cans black beans
1 Large Onion, Diced
8 oz diced mushrooms
2 Tbsp minced garlic
1  can fire roasted tomatoes
3 c Vegetable broth (add more for more of a soup rather than a stew)
1  Yellow bell pepper diced
1 orange bell pepper diced
1 Red bell pepper diced
1 whole Carrot, Peeled And Sliced On The Diagonal
1 medium parsnip
1.5 c sweet potatoes cut into chunks
1/4 teaspoon Ground Oregano
3-4 Tbsp chili powder (optional)
Small handful of chives
2 Tbsp Smoked Spanish Paprika
Trader Joe's onion salt blend

Thought I’d replied to this but it’s vanished so wonder if the same  happing to other posts? It seems a bit lonely in plant based land! 

we’re on day 6 and doing ok but cutting down on the beans after some stomach issues. My hemp protein powder arrived yesterday so I’ve just had crudités with hummus and a smoothie using the very helpful smoothie template. I used  water, handful of almonds, tblsp chai & flax seeds, half cup of frozen berries, cup of spinach, stick of celery, juice of a lime and some fresh ginger and 2 tablespoons of flax protein powder.  Not bad at all. Not great either but felt healthy and vastly better with the lime and ginger added. Hard to mask the mouth feel of protein powders. May try cashews next time for a creamier texture but I’d rather eat them so I know I have!  

Cooked a bag of soya beans yesterday with which I could feed a small country.

Daughter and I discussed swapping to the original plan last night, then I realised it was “kill all the things day” and my hemp powder arrived so we looked up some new recipes and were carrying on. 

How are you all doing? 

On 3/1/2022 at 2:07 AM, ShannonM816 said:

You should get the replay, I'm told probably by Wednesday. So watch whatever email you used to sign up, and if you don't get it by the end of the week, let us know and we'll see what we can do. 

Got it, thank you 

Hi! I’m 2 weeks in, glad to have some solidarity here. I’ve been vegan for many years and trying this to curb my intimate relationship with not-so-whole-foods (bread, vegan sweets, etc.). I haven’t had GI issues before but seem to have so much bloat since beginning this :/ otherwise I’ve been surprised by not being hungry as I’d thought I’d be or have as many cravings as I’d thought. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!  started 4/1.  I’ve been vegetarian for 20 years.  Eat eggs and a little dairy.  I have done Whole30 a couple times in the past.  It was a little more difficult being vegetarian so I was really happy to see the PB program.  Hope there are others who join in.  Someone has to Talk me down when I NEED a Reese’s Peanut Butter Easter Egg.  

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I am checking out the plant based option, which I was happy to see. I did the original plan years ago, but have been vegan now for 2 years. I always feel bloated and I feel like I eat healthy, but I guess I need a change.

Is it still possible to get the replay you talked about for the intro session? would be much appreciated. 

I am hoping to figure out what I am doing and will go shopping. 

by the way, what do you all have for breakfast? I have been an oatmeal girl for years, so I need something else. preferably nothing I have to really cook or prep in the morning, as I get up and run out of the house early. 

thanks in advance! 

Archived