Bloated on day 17

nlehn

I am having some difficulty with stomach bloating. I have noticed that other areas of my body (face, collar bones, arms, rib area) are slimming down, but I feel bloated in my stomach and my BMs are urgent, loose, and all together gross. Is this a sign of a bigger problem (like IBS), or are there food that I may be eating that need to be eliminating? I've searched through the book and haven't found any solutions. Has anyone else had this problem?

Of note: I'm pretty strict about my eating. No cheating, and I stick to the portion info from the book (palm-sized protien, veggies, and fats at every meal).

are you eating a lot of nuts? Maybe lay off them, if you are.

otherwise, are your veggies well cooked, and/or lots of green leafy ones? some folks struggle a LOT with green leafy veggies, so either lay off them if you're eating them cooked (and rely more on starchy ones), or make sure they're well cooked, if you're eating them raw.

I am having similar issues...only in the morning. I started some pro-biotics and I think I'll try out some digestive enzymes here soon. I don't have a gallbladder either...don't know if this might be the cause? I figure I'll ride the thirty days out and then see where I am by then. Maybe my body needs time to adjust. I've been eating poorly for a loooong time. I'd imagine this is a shocking change for my gut.

I don't have any other suggestions, so I'll be happy to hear others chime in for some good tips, or advice that brings some mental comfort that this does end.

Also; I was diagnosed with IBS years ago. There's this thing called FODMAPs. I was thinking about rotating out some of the high FODMAP foods in my diet to see if this makes an impact.

• Moderators

I would try taking Now Foods Super Enzymes with meals for a while to see if you need help with digestion. Your body may not be as efficient as it needs to be breaking down protein and fats.

Unless you were having problems like this before, I doubt it means you have IBS. And it may not mean you are eating anything that is bad for you. Sometimes our bodies just take a while to adjust. One thing you might try, however, is to be sure and eat some sweet potatoes every day for a while. Starchy carbs can be helpful moderating loose stools.

Thanks for the comments and encouragement. I do find that I'm eating more nut than I did before starting the Whole30.

Tom, I should have listed in my first post the supplements I am taking. I am taking the Now Super Enzyme, Now Potassium plus Iodine, SFH Fish Oil, Jarrow Probiotic, Zinc, Vitmain D3. Honestly, I forget to take the Super Enzyme before each meal, so I'm taking it about once per day.

I looked up the FODMAP list and see that I am eating apples and other things that are on the "avoid" list. Also, I found the section in the Whole30 book for folks with GI issues, and the list of foods to avoid. Maybe I'll try to cut some of those things out to give my digestive track a break? I don't know. I'm not discouraged or anything. If anything, I feel like there have been so many changes in my body in the last 2 weeks that I want to keep this up forever! I just wish I didn't have to think about it all the time and it worked like clockwork. Here's hoping!

I agree with what Tom said. It's kind of the answer to everything, but seriously, eat more sweet potatoes...they will help clear food, air and gas out of your stomach and hold things together better at the end. Bananas are helpful for this as well. Good luck!

Archived