Nadia/first Whole30

Nadia B

Day 26.

I still can't believe I made it through this day. Family visit + eating out!

Friday night I got a call from my Mom saying she is coming for a visit. My place looked horrible as I was in the middle of reorganizing everything in my apartment. Saturday morning I learned that my Dad is coming too. While I was hectically cleaning my place I was informed that they want to go skating and my aunt with my two cousins are coming too. I love my family, I am happy to spend time with them, but I hate the fact that it always feels like babysitting somehow.

Breakfast was simple, just a cm coffee + poached egg (new poacher, not doing the job clearly) + sweet potato hash + some salad. Bowl of nuts is here for a reason too :(

I ran to the gym after. Saturday workouts are my favorite! Alex (instructor) had the following task for us:

100 squat jumps – 75 thrusters (I have to aim to use heavier weights, but at this point I can only do 20 lbs for the high reps) – 50 burpees – 100 sit-ups – 50 burpees – 75 thrusters – 100 squat jumps.

I was sweating like a pig and could barely move afterwards. I had a crazy energy crash in the middle of workout. Disappointing. I am not too hardcore, am I?

Then I ran to pick up some stuff for the reorganization project at the store I should be banned from. Forever. It's called Kitchen Stuff Plus, you get why, right?

I rushed home, literally inhaled tuna from the can as a post wo, changed and ran to the skating rink to meet my family.

It was so much fun! My Dad has tried skating for the first time in his life. I and finally started to get skating backwards. We skated for couple hours and headed home.

Everyone was hungry and was craving Mexican food. My auntie came up with a truly brilliant idea – why don't we have a take out and hang at your place? Right. Long story short – 5 people eating in my kitchen and all I have in the fridge is a box of strawberries (I go grocery shopping Friday evening or Saturday mornings, but had to clean for their visit). I made it, but I had to munch on nuts from the damned bowl.

After they left I had 1 hour before M. was coming over. I could choose food or shower. Picked clean over hungry. I was scared that he'd want to go out for dinner. Usually I would just cook for us, but 1) I had no food to cook 2) I was more of a vegetable than a human being. I gave up and put my dress on. Thank God M. is very used to my behavior when we eat out (I have been “that person†since the day we met). I ended up with nice mixed greens, grilled mushrooms and a giant grilled chicken.

Good stuff: I didn't screw up.

Bad stuff: my stomach is living his own life full of adventures.

Amazing stuff: I didn't want a tiny piece of whatever garbage my family members were eating, I wanted a piece of meat.

post-12442-0-10696300-1359389609_thumb.j

post-12442-0-86497500-1359389615_thumb.j

post-12442-0-94288400-1359389620_thumb.j

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 27.

I still didn't have food in the fridge = “fancy†breakfast for me: two fried eggs + leftover sweet potato fries + avocado + cm coffee.

After breakfast I started my Sunday cookathon. At the end of the day I felt like I've been eating all the day long, as I have this horrible, horrible habit of tasting/eating while cutting/licking spoons. I really have to do something about it.

Anyways, I roasted tons of veggies: acorn squash/carrot fries (in smoked paprika)/beets (TIP: place them on the layer of salt and wrap them in foil. They turn out perfectly)/yams/Brussel sprouts/spaghetti squash/eggplant/baby bok choy.

I made this Creamy Pumpkin Curry with some changes. I have increased amount of liquid to make it more of a soup, squeezed lime juice and dumped seafood medley instead of just shrimps.

I marinated thai style shrimps /chicken in mint and cilantro /lemongrass and coconut chicken/ best chicken you will ever eat/ (I love chicken and fully aware that it's a mediocre choice)

I made silky smooth chicken liver pate. If you are reading this, you HAVE to try it. I insist.

I made Greek meatballs.

I whipped sunshine sauce/mayo and mint pesto.

Lunch: stole chicken livers while making pate + squash wedges + cucumber + kale/beets/avo/pistachio salad. It was good, but next time I would just make beets in avocado dressing and put pine nuts.

Dinner: bok choy + curry + red cabbage slaw in ginger dressing

Day 28.

Dear magic, we need to talk. Where the hell are you? :D

I am 3 days away from official end of the program. I wasn't nearly close to the suggested timeline. My body literally rebels against me – nausea, digestion issues, headaches (started lately), new wave of breakouts, energy rollercoaster and trouble sleeping. I know I have gained weight, months of under eating and obsessive calories counting can't be forgotten that easy. I know every inch of my body and can tell half inch increase in any area. That bad, yes.

But you know what? I am actually HAVING FUN with this. I love cooking, I love the spirit of experiment and self-knowledge trials. I love the feeling that at least I am trying to improve my life. What do I have to waste except of my own time? What food do I have to go back to? I still have habits to fight. I will just keep going and see what happens.

Breakfast: cm milk + leeks/mushrooms/baby carrots/ground lamb scrambled eggs + veggies/sunshine sauce +two strawberries.

Lunch: leftover slaw + roasted veggies + braised lamb slices with mint pesto.

Pilates after work.

Dinner: to follow.

post-12442-0-34170000-1359404592_thumb.j

post-12442-0-68930700-1359404604_thumb.j

Isn't she? I love her app and most of her recipes are my constants. I say most as I didn't like fried avocado that much.

Sunshine sauce is the best, I keep a batch in my fridge. I love using it for slaw or zoodles. Drool drool.

Ha! Zoodles - do you have one of these?

.8425531684_7fc84b02db_m.jpg

I used to use a peeler, then popped for one of these widgets . . .way fun. Sunshine sauce on zoodles . . . nom nom

Day 28. Dinner.

I went to Pilates class after work without pre wo snack. I am still a little confused about eating before and after not so intense activities. I guessed I'll be fine without. Monday + Pilates are meant to be together. My body needs this deep stretching to recover from usually very intense weekend and to prep for my Tuesdays wo.

I went home and reheated a bowl of curry. Then I remembered that I need to use a little piece of raw chicken and a little bunch of kale before they go bad. Decided to eat both. Dinner: pumpkin curry + stir-fry (chicken/kale/shiitake/bok choy/stir-fry sauce) + 5 strawberries.

Amazing stuff: 6 hours between lunch and dinner, no snacking and no crazy hunger. whoaaa

post-12442-0-03329800-1359472314_thumb.j

Day 29.

My cell says that my 8 hour sleep was good - 89%. What do you know, stupid machine. I woke up feeling like I was run over by a truck...multiple times. I had horrible dark circles under my eyes. I won't be surprised if I wake up with a third leg someday, seriously.

I had my breakfast - cm coffee + leeks/carrots/bell peppers/tomato in ghee + two fried eggs + liver pate in bok choy cups. I've noticed that I am enjoying simple breakfast much more than complex flavor combinations.

I packed my lunch - lamb meatballs + several carrots + spaghetti squash/pesto + brussel sprouts + mixed veggies salad/1 tbs mayo. That's a lot of food, I know.

I have also packed sliced chicken breast and a little bit of nuts (try my best not to eat them) as my pre- post-wos.

I could barely move my feet and had to stop for a double americano on my way to work. My hands are numb and my head is spinning. AAAAAAAA

Bad stuff: I am actually a bit scared with the dizziness

Good stuff: my doctor told me I look very good (I say make-up miracle tho)

Amazing stuff: I've noticed that all my co-workers have internal "snack clock". Around 11 am everyone starts complaining about hunger and reaches for garbage food they keep at their desks. Normally this collective chewing would make me hungry. Somehow I am just disgusted.

post-12442-0-96248600-1359476140_thumb.j

post-12442-0-08205500-1359476162_thumb.j

Quick question, how do you post and image? I am sick of attachments. I tried flickr, but apparently I can't use it. Huh?

copying a post I wrote for nanette

I can only tell you what I do :) which is not use the attachement option.

As I plate up each meal I take a pic with my instagram app on my phone.

Then as I'm writing up my daily log int he evening I open up webstagram website also. Right-click on your pic & choose copy image location. Then in your log click on the img icon above ^ (the little pic besides < > ) and paste your url info in.

Hope that makes sense, it sounds complicated but it's easy really.

Good luck!

Day 29. Part 2.

!Alert! Huge pictures and I have no clue how to fix that yet!

I love the area that surrounds my office building. I have amazing fancy oils and vinegar boutique in Distillery District and a beautiful indoors St. Lawrence Market within 10 minute walk. I took this picture last spring.

6FA07A37-F72B-4298-BA84-51C016CF2247-8652-00000BC943358DBD_zpsc4334937.jpg

I love to wander there during my lunch break. I love good food. I love beautifully displayed food. I love food that I've never heard about before. I simply love food. I've never found it difficult to be around all this fantastic stuff they sell. However, I had my favorite spots to stop by for a treat (giant fresh figs or nuts or brunost aka pure crack).

62498910-BF42-4C4D-9F9D-115ABCD7E975-8840-00000C70DA94BC58_zps2c3d7cd8.jpg

When I started Whole30 I was a bit scared to go there, I'd go there when I am in a rush, quickly pick up my regular veggies/meat and leave. Today I decided to give it a try because I missed my market lunches so bad. I was ecstatic! I bought my favorite locally grown apple which smells insanely good. I bought some dried apple chips as the owner of the spot has stopped me for a chat. Here comes the best part. I tried chips and I didn't eat the apple. I didn't want to and I didn't need to eat this apple. There was no painful inner dialog or struggle. It may seem funny, but this is a big win for me.

My energy hasn't improved by the end of my work day, but I still dragged myself to the gym. Because I HATE skipping workouts. As expected it wasn't too good, I almost fell asleep in sauna J Anyways, an average workout is better than none. I swallowed my chicken and headed home.

One thing that is very common for me - to open the fridge, go through tons of boxes and realize that I don't want anything there. This was exactly the case, so I quickly made whatever soup for dinner: liver stock/sliced sweet potato/green beans/bell pepper/chicken/carrots/parsnip + eggplant/tomato/pestomayo stack. I know they look monstrous in the picture. Later I got a terrible nausea attack, made some herbal tea and had some coconut flakes. Collapsed around 11 pm.

D5AD6A59-BF07-4AF4-88C3-483132FECDF7-8652-00000BC66A835E79_zpsae8b2c53.jpg

A6569AAF-8B6E-41EA-96AA-C51F659E9928-8652-00000BC6650A5FB4_zps217fafe1.jpg

Bad stuff: I am falling apart - dizzy and miserable

Good stuff: apple win

Day 30.

I thought I will be over the moon when I'm done. I am not excited or super happy. I have no amazing story to share or shocking amount of fat lost. I am still licking my spoons while I cook and stealing veggies when I cut them. I am still dangerously attached to nuts.

Am I done? Nope. This is just a long-term project with no end date for now.

Now, to the giant food photos!

Breakfast: grated parsnip/1/4 apple/several raisins/1/2 tbs almond butter + baked pumpkin puree with an egg + cm coffee.

Lunch: giant kale/veggies/spices salad + veggie stew + 2 hard bolied eggs/little bit of mayo.

DD1E6907-ECB0-4313-90C9-977B584A7EA3-9039-00000C75B563FE49_zpsa85435a1.jpg

Bad stuff: I am so nauseous, I can't think about food at this point, I drink water and want to throw up. Nasty breakouts. Upset stomach. Dizzy.

Good stuff: I am not sure at this point, I wouldn't mind not throwing up today.

Weird stuff: I sort of stopped paying attention to all this sh**, inside I'm dancing.

Amazing stuff: ok, don't laugh people, but I forgot completely that I've quitted smoking. My stomach adventures and labels reading got my whole attention. Tadaaaa

Day 30. !FAT FEST!

This is it, my last meal3.

My stomach kept sabotaging me today. I almost made myself eat at 3 pm( breakfast was 7am). After work I decided to take a long walk to get some fresh air. I also wanted to have something "cozy" for dinner, sort of special treat. This desire determined the route in my neigborhoud - to "The Healthy Butcher", Spice Trader and Tealish (did I mention that I am a tea junkie?). I walked for 2,5 hours and nausea seemed to be less disturbing.

I made a dinner and it was so so so good and so so so greasy. Whatever, I decided to change my mind frame: if I can eat all this and not gain weight, what the heck, I am on board forever.

So, for the grease party I had marinated beets/avocado + mashed cauliflower with pancetta + beef/pork sausage + spinach sauteed in the fat from frying the sausage. After I arranged a fruit plate - strawberries and a mystery fruit from Chinatown. Google told me it's also called an ice-cream fruit, adorable! I also made a nice cup of tea. Food heaven + I didn't finish fruits, ate half of it. This would never happen a month ago.

82CA673E-74BE-4F38-8918-C253373BA5AA-9748-00000D604FF4FC37_zps06e6376a.jpg

148BA75B-E102-43CF-BF53-4976D398BA72-9748-00000D60490B917E_zps14b788ad.jpg

FD7BA276-646D-4DCB-BCBF-73DFCCB18893-9748-00000D6057FD51E0_zpsa6db3c3c.jpg

Archived