After the Whole January

KalinaM

Hi, everyone! Starting this thread so we can help support each other in the reinroduction phase! I'll link this to the original thread titled "Whole January" I hope I see lots of you in here!

Happy Day 31!!!! Congrats! We made it! Woohoo!!

I lost 4 lbs, my skin is clearer and the occasional brain fog I had is completely gone..... well, 99% of the time unless I sleep poorly!

So far today, I've stayed compliant. I'm contemplating what I want to intro first, but I was up so much last night  with my son, who was having nightmares and just a bad night and ended up with me--- so-- not sure I want to intro anything today since I'm already feeling yucky due to no sleep.

How's everyone else doing?

You guys. I was made aware yesterday that I have been doing reintroduction wrong EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I thought that once you added something back in, it was back in - even as you add in other things one by one. Apparently that is wrong, and a quick look at the Whole30 website guidance confirmed. So, for example, I'm adding in legumes today. After today I shouldn't eat legumes again until I've gone through everything else one by one.

Maybe this is why I've never been able to pinpoint things....

What is everyone starting with? 

1 hour ago, KalinaM said:

So far today, I've stayed compliant. I'm contemplating what I want to intro first, but I was up so much last night  with my son, who was having nightmares and just a bad night and ended up with me--- so-- not sure I want to intro anything today since I'm already feeling yucky due to no sleep.

Ugh, those nights (and the days that follow) are so hard. I have not planned my reintroduction day well but I did add a big scoop of peanut butter with my sliced apples this morning. I was on the fence about just doing a normal W30 day but then figured I can wing it a bit.

Congrats to all as well!  I started my morning with a stop at Starbucks for a Pistachio Latte.  As I was ordering it, I noticed that it was 320 calories :blink:.  That's 320 calories I have been regularly drinking that I cut out without even noticing this whole month!  I don't always get a pistachio latte, but it is generally lattes. My main meals for the day will be complaint - eggs for breakfast, sausages with mustard and carrots and guacamole for lunch, and a curry for dinner.  So I think my only noncompliant foods will be my latte and potentially some candy :P.

My measurable differences:

- 13.6 lbs lost (5% of my bodyweight - I started Whole30 severely obese and am now only in the obese category)

- Lost 1.25 inches around my bust (wouldn't have minded keeping those inches lol)

- lost 1.5 inches from under my bust 

- lost 2 inches from my waist 

- lost 1.25 inches from my gut/lower belly 

- lost 1.25 inches from my hips

- lost 1.5 inches from my left thigh (assuming the same for the right, but I don't measure both)

My non-measurable differences:

- reduced cravings (can't say no more, because PMS hit me hard this cycle)

- I'm able to better recognize whether I'm actually hungry, or just eating because it tastes good or I'm bored

- more consistent energy throughout the day

I did not manage to get pregnant this cycle, unfortunately, but I did ovulate (which hasn't happened for a lot of my cycles)

• Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 10:52 AM, CGinDC said:

You guys. I was made aware yesterday that I have been doing reintroduction wrong EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I thought that once you added something back in, it was back in - even as you add in other things one by one. Apparently that is wrong, and a quick look at the Whole30 website guidance confirmed. So, for example, I'm adding in legumes today. After today I shouldn't eat legumes again until I've gone through everything else one by one.

Maybe this is why I've never been able to pinpoint things....

What is everyone starting with? 

Oh no!! I'm so sorry that there was confusion about reintro for you. So glad you got it straight now!! Hoping you can figure out some triggers. 

On 2/1/2023 at 10:57 AM, ____Emily____ said:

Congrats to all as well!  I started my morning with a stop at Starbucks for a Pistachio Latte.  As I was ordering it, I noticed that it was 320 calories :blink:.  That's 320 calories I have been regularly drinking that I cut out without even noticing this whole month!  I don't always get a pistachio latte, but it is generally lattes. My main meals for the day will be complaint - eggs for breakfast, sausages with mustard and carrots and guacamole for lunch, and a curry for dinner.  So I think my only noncompliant foods will be my latte and potentially some candy :P.

My measurable differences:

- 13.6 lbs lost (5% of my bodyweight - I started Whole30 severely obese and am now only in the obese category)

- Lost 1.25 inches around my bust (wouldn't have minded keeping those inches lol)

- lost 1.5 inches from under my bust 

- lost 2 inches from my waist 

- lost 1.25 inches from my gut/lower belly 

- lost 1.25 inches from my hips

- lost 1.5 inches from my left thigh (assuming the same for the right, but I don't measure both)

My non-measurable differences:

- reduced cravings (can't say no more, because PMS hit me hard this cycle)

- I'm able to better recognize whether I'm actually hungry, or just eating because it tastes good or I'm bored

- more consistent energy throughout the day

I did not manage to get pregnant this cycle, unfortunately, but I did ovulate (which hasn't happened for a lot of my cycles)

Hope you enjoyed your latte! Sorry no pregnancy for you, but hooray for ovulating!! That's a good sign.

We went out to eat last night for the first time since doing the W30. I had a glass of wine, steak, and fries. The fries triggered a little bit of heartburn - it's not the potatoes, I've been eating them basically day. So it's either just that they were deep fried or it was the oil they used - I didn't ask. Also today, my SI joint is achy - that hasn't happened in a while.

I'm adding dairy in today - had cream in my coffee this morning and cheese in an omelet. We're going to my in laws for dinner tonight and there will be some cheese in things there too. We'll see what happens!

• Moderators
19 hours ago, CGinDC said:

I'm adding dairy in today - had cream in my coffee this morning and cheese in an omelet. We're going to my in laws for dinner tonight and there will be some cheese in things there too.

Ideally you would wait until any symptoms from your previous reintroduction were complete before you went to the next one - it may be hard to tell now if it's the dairy also causing you joint pain or if it's the potatoes/wine that is lingering.

23 hours ago, CGinDC said:

The fries triggered a little bit of heartburn - it's not the potatoes, I've been eating them basically day. So it's either just that they were deep fried or it was the oil they used - I didn't ask. Also today, my SI joint is achy - that hasn't happened in a while.

That's such a bummer - I hope your pain goes away soon and that you're able to pinpoint what caused it.

I did a day with no sugar yesterday (I don't remember exactly what I ate all day, but I think my only non Whole30-compliant item was a small plain latte).  By the end of the day, I had a low level headache - I can't believe I was having sugar withdrawals again after only being back on sugar for 4-5 days! I think I'm going to incorporate no-sugar-added days into my diet semi-regularly.  My choice to not just toss all of the leftover holiday candy before my Whole30 was not a good choice, lol.  I've made the decision not to replace that candy as I consume it, so I won't have it all sitting around soon. I'm also considering doing another Whole30 in April (after my birthday, lol).  I should have time to do a full reintroduction after that round, so I might try to do that as well since I haven't done one of those since 2018.  It'll all depend on whether I get pregnant before then as I am not going to attempt a Whole30 during pregnancy

I did 32 days of whole 30 before I started introducing things. So far I've reintroduced dairy, which seems to be fine for me! Had it Friday and then was complaint all Saturday and Sunday.  And corn. I had corn yesterday. Today I had a small itchy spot on my neck. I'm not sure of it was the corn or something else externally.... It has gone away within an hour. I'm thinking after I do all other reintros I will attempt corn again and seen what happens. Provided nothing else pops up the rest of today or tomorrow. 

Oh, I am starting up my elderberry syrup too, to boost immunity. I gave it up during January. That is made with honey, so I guess I'm not completely compliant anymore. But since most other diets like this say a little honey is ok and I think no honey on whole30 is more due to a sugar dragon taking than anything else, I feel fairly confident that I am still doing reintros correctly. I hope. Anyway, I take 2 TBS a day and honey is one of the last ingredients listed, so it isn't much.

I've been eating whole30 mostly for most days now... I do occasionally go off plan for worth it things-- I had 3 chocolate covered strawberries for Valentine's Day, but am staying on whole30 otherwise. I am feeling more confident about my food choices. We had a "date night" with the kids at Chick-Fil-A the other day and I packed my own grilled chicken salad with dressing to eat there. I helped my son finish his fruit cup and stayed completely whole30 that day! Finding my groove with eating properly and still treating myself when it's worth it. Hoping I can make these habits stick around for good.

• 4 weeks later...

So I'm continuing with my extremely slow role intro-- combining worth it things with days of whole30 compliance and then adding a specific food to see how it effects me. I am pretty much done with all the things I wanted to specifically reintroduce separately (ex corn, rice, peanut butter)  I found I had HORRIBLE brain fog with peanut butter the day after eating it. Disappointing, but good to know. I'll have to add it to the only when truly worth it category. Other than that (I already knew about gluten from a past whole30) I think I'm ok with most foods. So, I will probably add dairy and non gluten grains back. Be very careful with legumes and avoid gluten all together. I'll also only do dessert or alcohol for special occasions or worth it treats. I'm really glad I did such a slow reintro period this time (4th whole30) instead of jamming it in to 10 days to get on with life. I feel that I'm more purposeful when I menu plan and have been eating much healthier and making better choices since Jan 2. Hoping that this is my food freedom and I can continue on with this long term. It sure does get easier as time goes by. Hope everyone else is doing well. Please check in if you ever happen to visit the site again.  I do check occasionally myself :)