Day 25, Frustrated, wanting to weigh (but not why you think...)

grace.c

I want to weigh myself so badly, mostly because right now, weight loss is actually the only benefit I'm seeing.

I had an awesome time from day 3 to day 8 - my skin glowed, my energy was high, I was sleeping well, I dropped a dress size in that one week. But ever since, I've been on a downward spiral and the only thing that seemed to continue was the weight loss.

I've only changed two things. 1) I started working out in week two. Mostly Pump classes, as I really need to increase my endurance and heavy weights don't cut it for me in that respect. 2) On day 21, I went autoimmune protocol.

I do intend to continue into a Whole60, especially with the intro of AI protocol. But I'm just really confused why day 3-8 gave me a taste of how things should be, but I haven't been able to maintain / get back there.

From a hormone perspective, Day 16-20 was my period, so I felt at day 9 onwards I was probably just experiencing PMS / hormone issues. But 5 days out, I usually feel a lot better and that hasn't happened. I haven't been able to fall asleep a single night this week. And I've been constipated since day 9.

I've cut back from 3 workouts per week to 1 or 2 as I'm not sleeping and lacking the energy.

Typical day's food:

1tbsp coconut oil, chicken, pumpkin, greens (varies between celery, chard, kale, spinach) with ginger

Roast lamb salad with dollop of coconut oil

Herbed steak with sweet potato and broccoli or other veg, homemade pesto

I add extra portions if I work out (pre/post wo). I really feel it when there's not enough fat included in my meals. I don't snack, very occasionally I'll have a small serving of fruit (not a huge fruit fan, killing off a major sugar dragon). Occasionally I'll sip on broth, otherwise I only drink water or soda water (glass bottled). I take digestive enzymes, vit D, magnesium, fish oil.

Is it just a matter of waiting it out? Or am I doing something wrong? I'm extremely happy to be losing weight, but I'd also like all those other benefits, too!

Working out first thing in the morning (6am). This week; I've been lucky to get 6 hours per night (in bed early enough, just having trouble falling asleep.) Previously, I was probably getting a good 8 hours.

No caffeine, I've never enjoyed coffee and not much of a tea drinker either. And for that reason, I'm extremely sensitive to it. :D

Sleep will account for the lack of benefits, the trick is working out what's stopping you sleeping.

Are you going to bed normal time? How do you feel when you should be sleeping?

Are you taking any magnesium? Drinking enough water?

I think you need way more fat and maybe protein too (can't see actual WO snacks). More fat should resolve the issues starting Day 9. If you're feeling uncomfortable, that might also interfere with your sleep and how you feel.

You might want to try a cup of coffee with a tbsp or two of coconut oil before your workout (Day 9 fix - both caffiene and fat). Stuff I Make My Husband has a recipe for cold brewed coffee (which I like better before workouts). I wouldn't have it later in the day in case it makes the sleeping worse.

What was a typical day before you went on AI? What's the biggest menu change since switching to AI?

There is a response from Robin in this post, to someone else not able to sleep:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/6519-day-15-and-i-cannot-sleep/page__p__62278__hl__calm__fromsearch__1#entry62278

Sleep was my favorite part of the whole30, so it makes me sad that you are not feeling that magic! Maybe the magnesium will indeed help!

Feel better!

Sleep will account for the lack of benefits, the trick is working out what's stopping you sleeping.

Are you going to bed normal time? How do you feel when you should be sleeping?

Are you taking any magnesium? Drinking enough water?

I think you need way more fat and maybe protein too (can't see actual WO snacks). More fat should resolve the issues starting Day 9. If you're feeling uncomfortable, that might also interfere with your sleep and how you feel.

You might want to try a cup of coffee with a tbsp or two of coconut oil before your workout (Day 9 fix - both caffiene and fat). Stuff I Make My Husband has a recipe for cold brewed coffee (which I like better before workouts). I wouldn't have it later in the day in case it makes the sleeping worse.

What was a typical day before you went on AI? What's the biggest menu change since switching to AI?

I'm taking mag, but I will double check my dose. I've been getting more spotty with my bedtime routine so I'll make that a focus for improvement and see how that goes.

I do eat all the fat on my meats, plus there is added fat in the cooking process (separate to the extra spoonfuls I mentioned), but I'll up it even further and see how I respond. Pre WO I was having an egg with coconut oil, and post WO I was having another egg or chicken plus whatever carb I had around (sweet pot, greens or berries). I havent worked out at all this week but I'd probably sub chicken for the eggs.

So eggs and chilli are the biggest changes since going AI. Ohhhhh... realisation... My daily meals weren't that much different, a lot spicier, but I was using a lot of mayo which I haven't really substituted with anything. That'd be a lot of fat and protein missing that I was originally having. Thank you! I'll go figure out a way to add more day & protein back in.

There is a response from Robin in this post, to someone else not able to sleep:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/6519-day-15-and-i-cannot-sleep/page__p__62278__hl__calm__fromsearch__1#entry62278

Sleep was my favorite part of the whole30, so it makes me sad that you are not feeling that magic! Maybe the magnesium will indeed help!

Feel better!

I was reading that earlier, and I'll definitely create more of a sleep routine. That's really sweet of you, thank you!

So eggs and chilli are the biggest changes since going AI. Ohhhhh... realisation... My daily meals weren't that much different, a lot spicier, but I was using a lot of mayo which I haven't really substituted with anything. That'd be a lot of fat and protein missing that I was originally having. Thank you! I'll go figure out a way to add more day & protein back in.

We love it when you guys help yourselves :D

Archived