February 2013 Starters

Kate File

Day 13. All is well although I am still thinking about chocolate ALL THE TIME. But I am eating cleanly and it is not hard to resist. I just think about it all the time.

But I have been really weak in my strength training and HIIT work outs. Just legs of lead and feeling lethargic. Been this way for several days now. I was pretty paleo before so my body cant really be in shock....

Michele

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm coming up on the end of Day 7 and something interesting happened to me last night.

I got home from work around 9:45-10 pm and went to stir the almond butter that I had bought earlier in the day. I didn't really pay attention to what I was buying. Maybe this was intentional? Or just accidental, I don't know. But as I was finishing up with the almond butter I went to lick the knife and as I was raising it to my mouth I lifted the jar so I could read the ingredients...Ack! Dehyrated Cane Sugar, Palm Oil!!! Horror! My tongue had just lit on the tip of the knife and I got a little itty-bitty, tiny taste of the almond butter on my tongue. What was interesting was my reaction to the taste. Almond butter should not taste sweet....It was a real eye opener.

Sugar was the last thing I gave up as I weaned myself off the other "no" foods so I went into Day 1 cold turkey on sugar. It has only been seven days and I already am feeling the benefits of changing the food on my plate. ;)

So, I have to find a home for this almond butter....

It is amazing how quickly you become really engaged with what and how u eat. I too read labels a lot more closely and I am kinda shocked at the amount of things with bloody SUGAR in it!!

I am finding that I am very aware on my internal monologue at certain times of the day - "hey your nearly home, do you need anything at the shop? Perhaps they will have a potato cake in the bainemarie. One won't hurt!"

And I am pleased:-) asked to say I have won the argument every day this week. I am betting next week inner monologue will have given up on that one!

8pm,8.01pm,8.02pm,8.03pm and there it is my Whole Daily email!!! Yay, I think I need to get a life, just joking, I have one:)

Day 7 in the bag.

Starting to feel unreal. Was not much wrong with my eating to begin except for developing a habit if eating local homemade jam with coconut cream!!

Can't believe how the taste buds have come alive. Eating meals slowly rather than being a scovosaurus, no mood swings from the sugar and a sense of calm.

Skin is glowing thanks to the copious amounts of water being consumed.

Hope everybody else is experiencing amazing changes along the way too.

Funny thing I have noticed. Finding that my reading and iPhone game taste has changed. Now require stuff that feeds my mind rather than mindless stuff that doesn't.

Walked into a bookstore yesterday and the guy gave me a couple of options before asking what was need. Automatic response was "give me something to feed my brain" Go figure.

Anybody else had an epiphany. Would love to here about it:)

Anyway, everybody keep up the great work and have a fantastic rest of the day :)

Hey Suzi! Yes I have had the same thing going on with my brain - I am focused. I was quite easily distracted into mindless activity - like FB, reading the Herald Sun on line (I moved from VIC to QLD and I still like to know what is happening down south) etc etc.....

But now, I can easily recognize that these activities are not satisfying me anymore. I am very very happy that this is happening as I am starting university study at the end of Feb and I need to be focused :-)

Now, the biggest challenge to date: college visits with my son including an overnight stay. I'll be forced to eat 4 meals in restaurants. I guess I'll be "That Guy" odering my meals, at least the dinners. So be it. I'll make it happen, afterall my money is as green as the guy drinking and eating dessert ;)

Hi StillRollin, had to do that myself for one of my daughters first W30. Only thing I can say...It gets easier to be more difficult! I'd make a joke of it with the servers--'can you believe I've done this crazy thing? I'm not eating sugar, but I feel great, can you help me out, blah, blah, blah.' I became ace at checking out the websites of where we would eat on the fly, too--case the menu for what I thought would work before I even got there, and then just ask some targeted questions. Good luck! Oh PS--beware the omelette: some restaurants will put pancake batter in their omelettes to make them fluffier, would you believe? Unbelievable...

Oh, and i do eat enough fat i think. 1/2 avocado with breakfast, sardines at lunch, coco oil in my decaf, olives and olive oil with salmon for dinner.....

Michele

Michele...you've made me HUNGRY! Add some veg to that and I'd have all of it for a nice meal! ;)

Ending day 4 and things are going pretty well. No huge cravings yet, but I do have a killer headache. Had a long day, so I ate out--salad for lunch and curry chicken with carrots and sweet potato for dinner--all from Whole Foods. I have to say that the Whole Foods hot bar may make these 30 days a lot more doable, although I definitely want to focus my efforts on cooking good food.

Today is day 9 and I really really want to quit and eat anything and everything I can! I am not going to because I committed but quitting would be way way easier. This is my first day I feel so tempted by everything. It's been easy till today! Wish me luck!

Hang in there Hulaomanini!! it was days 9 and 10 that were really hard for me. It passes. :-)

Day 13 done.

Ten and a half hour day at the cafe and then home for my Crossfit Wod, play with the dogs, water the garden, now 9 pm here in Victoria Australia and I have just sat down.

Stay strong everybody because the rewards are just around the corner. Hulaomanini use your super will power and don't give up. Sending you lots of positive energy.

Now I know it is a bit late however I am now ready for a light dinner with some of that yummy Well Fed mayo.

Have a great day/evening everybody:)

Starting today, apart from feeling great about eating whole foods for a month and seeing how that changes my view of food, am hoping that a couple of chronic health issues will be helped by it. I started with Wheat Belly, then found Perfect Health Diet, and then found Whole 30, and this one seems to make sense in terms of structuring and setting a goal, and I'm excited to do this (as I understand it, this will quickly make way for a desire to Kill Everything, but sounds like that passes, too! ). If it turns out that cow's milk is one of the culprits, I will be very sad.

End of day 5. Subtle differences: I'm drinking more water and I'm feeling more productive. Whether the second one is because I have more energy or because I have a better attitude, I'm not sure, but either way, it's great! Still working on breaking away from the simple chicken and veggie, but I'll get there.

Yay, day 14 over. Seriously loving this program and Well Fed mayo. One teaspoon is sufficient for a bowl if chicken or tuna salad. No cravings even though I spent the whole day cooking a prepping meals for people and being surrounded by muffins and cakes. No interest whatsoever.

The benefits of the program beat sugar etc handsdown.

No contest!!:)

HI all... i started february 15th.... so today is day 3... headed to my sister's for a birthday brunch for my nieces and nephew... my sis has celiacs so gluten won't be a problem there.. but sugar will... there will be gluten free cupcakes... (which really don't taste good anyway... rubbery)... and she will most likely have an egg casserole of some sort that will have milk in it..... i am eating breakfast here at home before i go to not arrive starving and in a weakened state and then i can drink black coffee and have some fruit while there and not look like i am not eating and offend her efforts.... there is SO MUCH family dynamic invested in one's eating choices isn't there... it's like if i make a choice to eat better i am somehow saying that THEIR choices are wrong and they feel threatened... and defensive... ahhh family life.... wish me luck!!

Jojo ;)

UPDATE:... the brunch was wonderful... my sis had made a quiche for everyone but made plain scrambled eggs for me... which my dad wanted also... and she didn't add any sugar to the fruit bowl... and so i was able to have a full plate and not feel left out... she is SO THOUGHTFUL... mi hermana es muey simpatico.... (i'm working on my spanish)

Yay, day 14 over. Seriously loving this program and Well Fed mayo. One teaspoon is sufficient for a bowl if chicken or tuna salad. No cravings even though I spent the whole day cooking a prepping meals for people and being surrounded by muffins and cakes. No interest whatsoever.

The benefits of the program beat sugar etc handsdown.

No contest!!

Agreed! I'm only on day 8 but the sugar cravings are surprisingly under control. I never thought that would happen. I sat through a Saturday morning work training (boo!) and said no to the box of sweets being passed around from my favorite bakery. It wasn't has hard as I thought.

Hi everyone!

I'm on the eve of day 2, and so far so good. I turned 30 this year, and everyone is telling me this will be the best decade of my life, so I figure why not make sure it is by getting in the best shape of my life!

Growing up I was a terrible and picky eater and as a result became overweight and never felt healthy or energetic. I changed my life by joining weightwatchers at age 20, losing 40 lbs, discovering new foods, and exercise. But I've still gone up and down over the last decade and believe its my relationship with food that is the culprit. I am without a doubt an emotional eater and have been known to hit the 711 across the street from my apartment way too many times after a long stressful day. That's why I've found myself here and why I'm hoping this program is everything people say it is. I want to feel amazing, look amazing, and have control back over my relationship with food.

My day 31 will be the day before st. patricks day, and as a boston girl, I thought what better time to take this challenge, as my st pattys day celebration this year will also be a cheers to my success on this program...I hope!

Wish me luck!

Kimmy

Just writing this here so I feel accountable. I am day 15. I transferred my sitting eating peanut butter to sitting and eating sunflower butter. It is an emotional eating sort of think. Bored and wanting sweet. So switching was more like a crutch not a fix.

I am committing do doing the last 15 nut butter free. There I said it. And I will do it.

:-)

Michele

Start of day 8 for me! Going strong and feeling extremly positive. :P

Big test on the weekend. Had some good friends over for a BBQ and normally this is an occasion to sit around and shoot the breeze, laugh a lot and DRINK ALCOHOL.

I was so proud of myself and even happier that I have such supportive friends. I told them what I am doing and they were not one bit interested in forcing, cajolling or badgering me into having "just a little bit" They were supportive and happy for me :wub:

This week, my aim is to start exercising. I am actually feeling like moving my body more and more!

Finishing up Day 8 on my first try on Whole30. Ate pretty healthy prior so didn't go through the bad withdrawals earlier this week but I will tell you, Wednesday, which was my Day 4, was tough. I mentally started melting down and could not wrap my head around the need to continue on for another 27 days...I called my sister, took the company dog for a walk several times, and re-read my goals a few times and was able to get over it by noon. I have been cool ever since. The newsletter I receive every morning is a HUGE help. Thanks!

Thought I'd try the chocolate chilli that I read so much about here. It is now in my slow cooker.....

I used the recipe from Well Fed but it said 2 tablespoons of chilli powder. My Masterfoods bottle is called "ground chilli, HOT". So I only used 2 teaspoons (in 1 kilo mince plus all the tomatoes and water). But I'm still a bit concerned about this.

I have since googled and the "chilli powder" usually contains other spices as well.

So will mine be too hot?

I will report back in 5 hours......

Also not sure what to eat with it. We are not "chilli" eaters here. Is that an American or English thing or have I just been insulated?

Hi everybody,

Day 15 in the bag.

So much energy it is unbelievable. Bright eyes, clear skin, tongue uncoated and happy, happy, happy:)

Even looked forward to a Crossfit WOD with thrusters in it and upped my weight as well.

Michele, stay strong you are doing so well and your honesty relating to your overdose on sunflower butter is wonderful.

My favourite saying is "It's what you do when no one else is watching that really counts"

Love reading about everybody's day too.

Be good everybody :)

Day 21...Home Stretch. I'm not sure I want to quit though. I know the re-introduction is important but why? I've made it this far without any of the "no" foods. I know I can live without them...easily. I know you only re-introduce dairy, grain and legumes but, still...

I know the idea behind re-introduction is because you are going to have times in your life when you will want to have, say, a glass of wine and a piece of dark chocolate or a real sandwich, which I really don't even think I miss. And to find out what reaction you personally have to those things. I do miss my Bodega Elena Red Blend and dark chocolate, so that may be the only thing I add back in after the evil 3.

I definitely do know I want to maintain at least a 90% Paleo lifestyle for sure. It's funny how you think you will miss X when in reality you really don't. At least that has been my experience. I thought I would have a problem with dairy...apparently not. I ate pretty healthy and clean coming into this so maybe that's why I have had a different reaction than many people here. I have really had no cravings. I've had thoughts and I suppose you could consider that a craving. It really is easy to choose not to eat a red velvet cupcake or a piece of homemade carrot cake with cream cheese frosting (all of which such food fodder faces me at work). Everybody I work with wonders why they've gained 10 pounds or more after starting the job. Huh. For me, it was more a revelation about all the mindless snacking between meals, while cooking meals, watching television, just because it's there....Eating when you aren't hungry, things like that.

My clothes are definitely fitting better. I am dying to weigh and/or measure myself but am resisting. That "record-keeping" is another slippery slope for me too.

I had a clementine the other day that tasted like candy. You know when you get that spasm in your jaw when you have something super, super sweet? That happened with a clementine! Same thing for the vanilla roiboos tea and a piece of mango. AND, the third and/or fourth piece of said mango? Not so much. So there is truth to the adage that you really, truly only enjoy the first few bites. The No Sugar is the most amazing transformation for me and that was my #1 Goal...slay my Sugar Dragon.

The last few days I have noticed another transformation that for me, is epic. I have found that the second cup of coffee just isn't sitting well. I can't believe that I am drinking ONE cup of coffee a day. Coming into this I would be at about four...

And, yes, the mayo from Well Fed is amazing. Egg salad with farm fresh eggs and that mayo? Yumm-o!! :)

The sweet potato hummus I make is outstanding too. SO good with carrots and sweet potato or veggie chips. I just got my mandoline so I intend to make some chips soon.

I'm really thinking about making this a Whole60. Mainly because I'm not really feeling all the benefits I think I should be. Mornings are getting better. I am actually hungry now in the morning so I guess that's progress. My digestive issues are not clearing up though. I don't know. Maybe that's why I'm thinking to just soldier on or just never come out of this lifestyle.

Would love to join the February Whole30! We started on the 11th(my husband and I). I am feeling great - he is having a little harder time. We started eating paleo last January, but didn't stick to it very well over the last 6 months or so. (Got married in Italy over the summer - was a little tough to stay away from the pasta and pizza!) My husband has *undiagnosed* celiac, and both of us are unable to eat much dairy, so really, cutting wine out has been the most difficult thing. First week had its tough moments, but we are looking forward to the next few weeks! :-). Starting Friday, day 5, I had a ton of energy and was getting out of bed much easier than normal - we did go to bed that night at about 7:30 though! Lol!

Looking forward to seeing how everyone is doing on their Whole30!

Archived