Katie's Reintro Log

kshacklett

I can't believe I completed 30 days! I'm a little scared to ride-my-own-bike, so I'm purposefully going to do my reintros rather than hiding behind whole30. However, these are not foods I intend on using all the time, just things I'm curious about for occasional meals out or other random situations.

Day 1: Dairy

Meal 1: Pumpkin egg muffin things (not making this again, bleh)

Unsweetened Applesauce (we ran out of apples...gr)

Aidelle's Roasted Red Pepper and Spinach Chicken Sausage (yay!)

Yellow Mustard

Meal 2: Chicken Salad

Canned Carrots

Chocolate (a gift from someone who was in Europe, not sure what kind)

Meal 3: Taco Salad - no taco shell, but adding taco cheese and sour cream.

Dessert: Strawberry Haagen Dazs Ice Cream (pretty clean ingredients list - no chemicals or preservatives)

I'm more worried about the sugar's affect on my energy level today than anything. We'll see!

Ok, ate the chocolate bar and feel like I'm gonna puke. And I only ate half before I threw the rest out. It was some imported bar (Stark) from Europe, so I was kind of counting on it to be amazing. It smelled like heaven and tasted like...nothing. I wanted to eat at least half to figure out how I would react to it. Ew ew ew. (ok, this was kind of the reaction I was hoping for so I didn't just go back to eating the way I did before). I have some Hershey kisses at home I'm going to try when I get home from work, just since I never ate this kind of chocolate before, but I'm thinking it will go the same way.

As an aside, 2 years ago I moved from the city to farm country - near Hershey, Dove, and M&Ms, and all other sorts of cocoa processing plants. On any given morning, it either smells like cow manure or fresh brownies. (Try to visualize those two...see where I'm going?) My taste for chocolate has seriously declined since these smells have been messing with my head, lol.

As an aside, 2 years ago I moved from the city to farm country - near Hershey, Dove, and M&Ms, and all other sorts of cocoa processing plants. On any given morning, it either smells like cow manure or fresh brownies. (Try to visualize those two...see where I'm going?) My taste for chocolate has seriously declined since these smells have been messing with my head, lol.

:lol: Oh, my!!!

Day 2: not as productive or structured as Day 1. Yesterday's dairy reintro was honestly not what I was hoping for - I felt fine. I do know from past elimination that eating dairy regularly leads to eczema breakouts, so I didn't eat too much before my Whole30 anyway. I'll probably be ok with it from time to time, but I love the results of my whole30 enough that I'm going to keep it out as much as possible. I did buy whole-fat cheese and sour cream, which is pretty much a first for me. It left me feeling very very full, and perhaps a little gassier than normal, but not as much as a lot of broccoli would.

Today, I had a whey protein shake for breakfast, along with 2 pumpkin/egg "muffins" - it was pretty good, but I was hungry again by 11 (I'd normally make it to 12). I think we're going to finish off the store-brand stuff we have, than switch to a "cleaner" protein powder.

For lunch I had leftovers of dinner and some banana chips.

Dinner was where I went off the wagon. I went to a friends house, and everyone brought some sort of baked good or other treat to share. I ended up eating one small slice of French bread with brie and pears, then ate 2 lemon squares, and a chai scone. I felt really full and "artificial" almost right away...I really don't know how to describe it. I had some more chocolate when I got home, and I'm getting the same feeling in my stomach again. I'm really wishing I ended up with horrible cramps or other effects I've seen people reported, just because it would be easier to evaluate the results.

Since I had one day of dairy alone and today had more dairy, with some gluten, I'm going to assume dairy is something I can eat sparingly. However, if I do have a bad reaction tonight or in the next few days, I'll repeat my dairy reintroduction to determine whether it was the dairy or the gluten I had tonight. Either way, I still intend on doing a gluten introduction next weekend. Tomorrow and Monday are back to whole30, then non-gluten grains on Tuesday and Wednesday.

My first shopping trip post-whole30 was mildly terrifying. I couldn't decide what I should and shouldn't let back in to my diet. I also had trouble picking out gluten free products to try - I think I don't really care about them enough. This is all just confirming my decision to maintain a very clean, whole foods diet.

I can relate. I'm 30 miles from a grocery store and thought I had what I needed for reintro. Then got the Day 31 email and realized I wasn't even close. Gas station yielded enough for dairy reintro which like you, didn't show anything definative. Looking forward to the gluten.

Day 3: Back to Whole30 for two days in between reintroductions, which is a huge relief. The good news is, I don't have to wait for someone to tell me to eat the whole30 way, I can choose it every day! Still no bad side effects other than the immediate discomfort/lack of satisfaction with dairy. Also, I didn't binge last night after I went off-plan around dinner time, so I'm seeing that as good psychological progress as well. It feels good to treat myself nicely :)

I went skiing yesterday, and I'm off to HIIT class this morning. I'm hoping to maybe get a trip to Costco in today, too - I just ate my last Aidell sausage for breakfast, and I want more!

I have a nice long to-do list for while my husband watches the super bowl tonight - looking forward to some reading time, too.

DAY 3 MENU

Meal 1: Roasted Red Pepper and Spinach Sausage with Mustard

Post Workout/Meal 2: Firecracker Tuna on Cucumbers

Meal 3: Beef Braciole

Roasted Eggplant

And for the record, these spinach balls are to die for : http://paleograd.blogspot.com/2011/02/paleo-spinach-balls.html

I made mine with coconut flour instead, and they were a huge hit (use half qty of coconut flour if recipe calls for almond flour). Everyone at the party really loved them - I'm going to make a batch this afternoon to have on hand for breakfast/snacks this week.

I'm at the point where my whole30 days feel much easier than my reintro days - this is awesome! I'm staying on whole30 through dinner tonight, then beginning my 2-day non-gluten grains reintroduction. Honestly, the effort of finding "clean" foods to reintroduce (without too many additives, sugar, or preservatives) is not even really worth the effort. The only thing I wish I could find more of is sausage - I had some compliant sausage during my whole30, and it really became a staple. I just wish I could find more varieties. I'm heading to Costco tomorrow night, so hopefully they'll have at least 2 different kinds.

DAY 4 MENU

Meal 1: Meat Crust Quiche

Apple

Meal 2: Beef Braciole

Roasted Eggplant

Spinach Balls

Meal 3: Chocolate Chili

Coconut Flour Cornbread

Post-workout: Firecracker Tuna

I'm meeting with my trainer at the gym tonight, hoping to get in a good lifting session!

It would have been even better if I had remembered to turn the crock pot on before I left for work this morning. Luckily, I didn't really need to slow-cook the chili, so I can just add a little more liquid and cook it on the stove when I get home, lol.

Day 5: Ugh. I decided to start my reintro of gluten-free grains last night at dinner rather than waiting until today. I felt fine when I ate them (although really, really full) but then I woke up around 12:30 and couldn't get comfortable or fall back asleep. When my alarm went off at 6:05, I had a splitting headache, and decided to sleep in a little. The headache stuck around until I ate breakfast. Blergh. I'm frustrated because I had 2 different types of grain last night (corn muffins and baked oatmeal) so I'm not sure which did me in. If I had to guess, I'd pick the corn, since whole30 has made me realize there is absolutely nothing good about corn ever.

I did have an awesome night at the gym last night with some serious heavy lifting - dead lifts at 135lbs and squats at 125lbs. Also, I saw a huge vein bulging out of one of my arms while doing dips (I'm down to 60lbs assistance!). Freaked me out a little.

Anyway, today is more gluten-free grain reintroduction.

DAY 5 MENU

Meal 1: Baked Oatmeal

Meat Crust Quiche

Grapes

Meal 2: Chocolate Chili

Coconut Flour Corn Bread

Apple

Meal 3: Chipotle - not sure what I'm ordering yet.

I'm also going clothes shopping after work - I'm excited! I haven't bought new clothes in a long time.

Ok, corn is definitely out, oats can stay but not something I ever really eat anyway (maybe 2 oatmeal cookies a year?)

To paraphrase something I read (maybe here, maybe somewhere else, I don't know):

Corn is what farmers feed their cows because it's the cheapest way to get them as fat as possible as quickly as possible. Why would you put that in your own body and expect different results?

Blergh. Hoping to wake up without a headache, and never eat corn products again....

Day 6: This was supposed to be my second full day of non-gluten grains, but after yesterday I think I'm going to take it easy. Luckily I didn't have a headache this morning, but I felt so gross last night I think I've learned my lesson about corn products.

While I seem to be doing ok with the baked oatmeal, I can really see how all it does is push other vegetables off my plate - no veggies at breakfast this morning, and I miss them! I'm also thinking of setting up a new challenge for myself and attempting to try every vegetable on the whole30 shopping list at least once. I really like vegetables, but I do have a habit of buying the same ones (green beans, sweet potatos, asparagus, onions) every week. There are 48 vegetables on this list, so I might break it down into 12 weeks - that's 4 vegetables per week (actually a little less if you consider vegetables that would be added to lots of recipes, like onions or garlic). Ok, maybe 8 weeks would be better, considering how many of these I wouldn't serve solo.

Looking forward to a great HIIT class at the gym tonight! I'm actually still sore from Monday, which is unusual, although I trained really hard and hit two new personal bests!

I went clothes shopping last night, and actually enjoyed myself. I still need a few more weekend shirts - I have a habit of only ever buying work clothes, then wondering what to wear with my jeans around the house on the weekends. Didn't get any pants yesterday, even though I need some - absolutely every pair I tried on seemed to have that mom-cut - over my bellybutton, made my butt disappear. Not sure what that was all about.

DAY 6 MENU

Meal 1: Baked Oatmeal

Roasted Red Pepper and Spinach Chicken Sausage

Grapes

Meal 2: Chocolate Chili

Green Beans

Afternoon Snack: Sweet Potato Chips with Taco Seasoning (home made)

Meal 3: Chicken Francaise (I haven't decided whether to make this with coconut flour, or forego the flour altogether.)

Asparagus

Sweet Potato Fries

Also, it occured to me that my headache the other morning could actually have been from the fact that I cooked my chili with a bottle of beer in it (although my serving at dinner would only have had 1/6 of a bottle, cooked for 2 hours). Since the chicken francaise I'm making tonight has wine in the sauce, I figure if I get another headache it's a good indication that it's from the alcohol (although I hope not. I can forego drinking alcohol, but I love cooking with it!)

Day 7: No headache this morning, so I'm going to conclude that cooking with alcohol is ok, at least in small servings. I'll be trying my first alcoholic beverage since whole30 on Valentines day - we're going to a Peruvian Tapas restaurant that has a drink called Pisco Margarita - it's a peruvian brandy margarita with cinnamon - so good!

I had a protein shake last night, which was pretty gross since we're trying to get rid of our old protein powder before I buy the cleaner stuff - which is coming this weekend! Ours has soy lecithin and aspartame in it, so needless to say I was a little anxious, had trouble sleeping, and woke up very hungry around 3am. Definitely avoiding those two ingredients from now on.

Today is back on track with Whole30 eating!

Meal 1: Sweet Potato, Apple, and Bacon Hash

Hard Boiled Egg

Grapes

Meal 2: Chicken Francaise

Zucchini and Tomatoes

Meal 3: Herbs de Provence Chicken

Green Beans

Day 8: Yesterday didn't go as smoothly as planned, but I stuck with it (mostly) and took action to be better prepared in the future. I was really hungry yesterday afternoon, but it's been so long since I've been hungry in between meals at work that I didn't have any compliant snacks around. I ended up getting a granola bar from the vending machine (oats and honey), and that seemed to do the trick. After work I restocked my supply of banana chips so that in the future I don't have to eat any of that crap! I also really, really didn't feel like cooking dinner or working out last night - but rather than throw in the towel after a month and a half of avoiding take out, I cooked dinner and exercised - both of which I really enjoy doing. Once I got started cooking, I was so glad I made a healthy choice, and then finding the energy to exercise was much easier, too.

I made a scrambled egg in a cup to go with my breakfast - I am far too easily amused. It was all puffy and yummy!

Tonight is another heavy lifting night - hooray!

I'm hoping to knock out a room "renovation" this weekend. We want to install floating shelves, paint, and frame the mirror in our super-tiny powder room. I'm excited!

DAY 8 MENU

Meal 1: Scrambled Egg

Sweet Potato, Apple, and Bacon Hash

Apple

Meal 2: Chicken Francaise with Honey Mustard

Green Beans

Carrots

Orange

Pre-Workout: 1 1/2 deviled eggs

Meal 3: Blacked Tilapia with Avocado

Asparagus

Tomorrow starts my gluten reintroduction, which I'd be so much more excited about if I still lived in Philadelphia. The Philly area has *amazing* bread, but now that I've moved to Central Pennsylvania, I really can't find any that I like. It's all mushy, and no matter how long you keep it in the bread drawer, it never goes bad. Seriously. I don't even want to know what makes it do that.

Days 9 and 10: A tutorial on how not to do a reintro.

Yesterday was good. I actually started my gluten reintro the night before, then had an amazing night's sleep and woke up with lots of energy feeling nice and refreshed - not what I was expecting! The only issue I noticed with gluten yesterday is the same thing that ISWF points out about many other food choices - it seemed to push the vegetables off my plate. Also, I didn't get the "full" feeling I would have gotten from a comparably sized serving of starchy vegetables (sweet potatoes, squash).

Last night before bed, I had some Smooth Moves tea. I've been struggling with minor constipation since last summer, and I think at this point it's more of a stress issue than something physical - whole30 didn't really make much of a difference. I woke up this morning, about 12 hours after I had the tea, and there was no change. So I had another half cup of tea, a muffin for breakfast, than headed out to the gym. About 4 hours later, I had diarrhea. About 2 hours after that, I really fell off my bike. We had Wendy's for lunch, so it was super processed food, gluten, and a diet coke all at once. Resulting in more diarrhea, a stomach ache, and now the beginnings of a headache.

Long story short, I love the whole30 way of eating, and tomorrow I'm right back on track with my cleaner way of life. My focus is largely unprocessed, real foods - not quite as strict as whole30, but somewhere that keeps me aware and educated of what's in my food. I'll continue to avoid corn products, dairy, gluten, and anything artificial. I plan on coming back to whole30 a few times a year, possibly during the major ones that whole9 runs in the summer and pre-holiday season.

Today, I had a whey protein shake for breakfast, along with 2 pumpkin/egg "muffins" - it was pretty good, but I was hungry again by 11 (I'd normally make it to 12). I think we're going to finish off the store-brand stuff we have, than switch to a "cleaner" protein powder.

May I ask, did the whey give you any trouble at all? I have a BIG supply of whey in my pantry, and part of me doesn't want to get rid of it just like that.

I didn't have any reaction to the whey powder itself, but other ingredients in it (probably soy lecithen and sucralose). I had some anxiety and trouble sleeping, but I figured it wasn't the whey itself since no other dairy products produced those symptoms. I've since switched to Natrual Factors Whey Factors, which doesn't have those ingredients, and had no reaction.

Archived