Cholesterol...

LindaLee

I got the results of my blood work from last week:

Total cholesterol: 243 (down 12 points from three months ago, possibly partially due to the statins)

HDL: 74 (optimal more than 60)

LDL: 157 (optimal less than 130) - however, this is a calculated LDL level

Triglycerides: 62 (optimal less than 150)

The research I've done says that my triglycerides and HDL are excellent, and that my ratios are all excellent as well. BUT when the nurse called to give me all this info, she said the doctor wanted to double my Zocor! I told her I quit taking it and I wasn't going to start it again, that I wanted to try diet and exercise. She seemed somewhat taken aback; the doctor was doing a delivery, so she said she'd talk to her and get back in touch with me next week. I'm going to tell her about this meal plan too...

So...we'll see what happens...

Linda

Have you read Robb Wolf's, The Paleo Solution? I ask because there is some very interesting information starting on page 224 around blood work. He writes what he believes the numbers should like including some additional tests to ask your Dr. to run. I found it to be VERY interesting. It also lead to me and my Dr. spending a lot of time talking about my dietary choices.

My Dr. is very open to my choices, however, my children's Dr. is NOT and we argued, I mean it got uncomfortable, we argued so much. I have picked up It Starts With Food for both Drs. Anyway, I share this with you to prepare you for the conversation you have with your Dr…it may or may not be well received. Just be prepared and gather some data.

• Moderators

Linda, After years of good blood work, my doctor wanted to increase the drug I was taking significantly to drive my cholesterol levels even lower. I questioned the need, but he was not open to discussion. I went on the higher dose and new blood work 30 days later showed cholesterol even lower. My doctor was happy, but I decided to quit taking the drug and find a new doctor. I just had new blood work done last week with a new doctor after 4 months of being off drugs. I get the results next week. My new doctor is at least open to discussion. I suspect that my new doctor is fairly conventional (and driving cholesterol lower is the current convention), but we'll see how things go next week.

For years, I've known that you can't let a lawyer make business decisions for you. Lawyers make their living from being cautious and it is hard to grow a business being cautious. With a lawyer, I learned to let them educate me, and then I had to make the final decision. I am less confident behaving similarly with a doctor, but that is what I expect to do next week.

Tom, that is a great post. I work in the medical field (although I'm not a doctor) and I strongly suggest people be as involved in their own care as possible. I do believe that if you trust Google more than you trust your doctor you need a new doctor, but I also believe in educating myself as much as possible with the goal of knowing what questions I need to ask.

No one is as interested in your health as you are, since no one else lives in your body. You have to actively educate yourself and search out doctors with a philosophy in line with your own. It is really difficult, especially if you are dealing with feeling poorly at the same time! For me, it wasn't until I found a doctor willing to treat in a nonconventional way (for thyroid issues) that I was able to find relief.

PS: I also suggest getting a copy of every single test you have done (labs, X-rays, etc) and keeping your own file. That way if you need/want to change doctors you have your health history available.

Whenever I get blood work done I tell the lab I want a copy for myself—they will either hold one at the desk or mail it to me.

Archived