Kombucha - why ok?

Moluv

Kombucha is sweet tea which is only partially fermented, meaning a small amount of sugar remains (60 calories worth in a bottle) why is this ok on the w30? I don't want to drink it because I know I can feel the sugar, but would like to know why it is acceptable nonetheless.

Hi, if you put 'kombucha' in the search engine at the top of the page, you'll see that there have been loads of discussions about kombucha which go right into the whole question of using it or not. Basically, those who use it on a W30 are using it for the probiotic content and as long as the kombucha has no sugar added after fermentation that's ok. There are a lot of positive health benefits to be gained and the small amount of sugar that's left shouldn't affect you negatively. A lot of us now make our own. I do, as I feel I can control it better. Being a bit of a nerd I even bought a hydrometer so I could make sure most of the sugar was fermented :) Obviously, if you're not comfortable taking it or you find it does awaken your sugar dragon and make you crave sweet things, then I'd leave it out.

Some kombucha's add some sugar in after and those are not okay. Sometimes the sugar is mostly from the fruit.

Personally, I have half a bottle of GT's Cosmic Cranberry at a time or other lower sugar flavor. In half a bottle there are 2grams of sugar. I would probably stay away from GT's Mystic Mango because it had 10grams of sugar in half a bottle--20grams for the whole bottle--which makes sense given how much sweeter mangoes are than cranberries. There was a much longer thread on here awhile back about kombucha, but basically what Kristeen said. My insides always feel better after I drink some.

• 3 weeks later...

I am glad I found this post! I start Day 1 tomorrow and have been struggling about whether or not to drink Kombucha, I love it and would drink it everyday if I could. I think for my first Whole30 I won't include Kombucha, I think my sugar addiction is too out of control to even allow the small amounts of sugar that remains.

I am glad I found this post! I start Day 1 tomorrow and have been struggling about whether or not to drink Kombucha, I love it and would drink it everyday if I could. I think for my first Whole30 I won't include Kombucha, I think my sugar addiction is too out of control to even allow the small amounts of sugar that remains.

My first W30 I only had one bottle of kombucha. I am very glad I didn't have it be a regular part of my first W30. This second go around I will be brewing my own and having it somewhat regularly as my sugar dragon is pretty beat back and I'm excited to be able to drink it in a normal, heathy way as part of m balanced diet. Same with fruit. The first go around I only had fruit with my meal maybe once a week and no sweet potatoes. This second go around I have had sweet potatoes and fruit and feel amazing. I think you're wise this first time to try and be mindful about slaying the sugar dragon.

Archived