Nila's Whole60

Nila

Hi, I'm Nila. You may have seen me around during my January Whole30 as nsquared. I've updated my profile to my real name. I don't know why really. I just did.

Anyway...

I completed my first Whole30 in January and went two more days with the Whole30 rules until I hit my birthday on 2/2. I had a little dairy, some white potatoes and a smidgen of bacon that I'm quite sure wasn't compliant. I'd initially intended to keep going, affectionately referring to what I was doing as my WholeWhatever. Once I hit Day 30, I had no time frame I was aiming for. And that made me anxious. But that's not why I'm continuing. It's why I'm picking a specific time frame for this round.

Here's the reason I'm going to keep going: I have chronic systemic inflammation and was on a path to all kinds of nastiness. While the Whole30 helped a bunch, I'm not out of the woods yet. My doctor recommended that I eat "strict paleo" and had me read It Starts With Food, convinced that this way of life would back me out of this corner I'd driven myself into. To him, it wasn't about 30 days and out. It's about an approach to life until evidence shows I should do otherwise.

And so I'm back. Just one day off of Whole30 and I'm returning for a Whole60. My gut (no pun intended - or is it?) says that it's going to take longer than 30 consecutive days for me to see the results I need. I started yesterday 2/3/13 and will continue through 4/3/13 when I will evaluate if I attempt any kind of re-introduction or stay the course.

I weighed, measured, and took pictures on 1/1/13. I weighed again on 1/31/13 and had lost 12.5 pounds. I took pictures but didn't measure again. I will do all that, if I think it's necessary, on 4/4/13. Or maybe not at all. :)

Sometime in this Whole60, I'll take the measurements that matter: cortisol, CRP, insulin, fibrinogen, homocysteine. Three weeks into my Whole30, the cortisol had improved to the low end of normal. Fibrinogen had come down but was still very high. And homocysteine had edged up toward normal.

I wrote about my February focus, in addition to following the nutrition rules, in my old log. It's essentially this:

1. Sleep: get 8-9 hours per night
  2. Prepare for regular healthy movement in March

I also am practicing a little yoga about every other day, taking supplements daily, and meditating daily (I have for 6 months).

In my log, I recount what I ate for the day, but also and thoughts and events that have anything to do with my journey.

Having accountability and support from this community is very important. So thanks a million if you read any of this.

On to Day 2!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 2

Eaten:

1. Leftover cauliflower pilaf (cauliflower, raisins, pine nuts, garlic...), pork/turkey sausage
  2. German weiners, dijon, boiled egg, cabbage with smoked sea salt, blueberries
  3. Landjaeger, apple sauce
  4. Dijon chicken with bacon, butternut squash (from Well Fed), red leaf lettuce with creamy Italian dressing

post-11257-0-00657900-1360029321_thumb.j

Meal 2.

I'm on a Mac, so my pictures are tiny. I think they pop out larger though. It's not my best photographic effort any way.

Sleep: 8 hours (last night)

I sat a ton today doing research for an upcoming presentation. That was after spending the morning deciding what to do in terms of my eating plan and starting this new log. And there was a worker here today putting in ceramic tile. It was rather noisy at times. I started off a little unsettled and then got into a feel good groove. I'm still a little out of sorts from the Saturday dairy/potato/regular bacon foray. At least I think that's what it is.

I boiled some eggs for later in the week when I'll be on the go.

Otherwise, it was a quiet, uneventful day. Now I'm on to yoga and meditation.

Good night!

Sorry...just testing photo posting.

28d3f0cd-bcdd-490c-ba8e-fed96e4e43ba_zpse30d2ccd.jpg?t=1360072841

The story here... A few years ago, my husband randomly gave me a Travelocity travel gnome. TG has gone on many trips since. And over that time, we've picked up several other gnomes more as a silly family meme than anything else. I was hunting around for things to do on my birthday and discovered that a city park's botanical garden was doing a weeklong garden gnome show. Bingo! Unfortunately, I forgot to take one of our own gnomes for photo ops. But I think I snapped pix of every one of the other 74 gnomes in the exhibit. Each was on loan from friends of the garden. It was lovely to be inside the tropical environment where on the other side of the glass snowflakes were blowing around. This little excursion along with visits to a few local retailers was the highlight of my day rather than a big food-based gathering.

Day 3

Sleep: 8.5 hours

Eaten:

1. beef/pork burger, Well Fed butternut squash
  2. Chipotle pork, lettuce, tomato salsa, guacamole
  3. German wieners
  4. Banana, raw brazil nuts
  5. Kielbasa, 2 scrambled eggs, broccoli with ghee, 1/2 small sweet potato mashed with ghee, cauliflower rice pilaf (with raisins and pine nuts) [pictured below]

2a926cec-4ed3-4a5b-ade3-3dce48169203_zps583a4972.jpg

The Chipotle left me feeling hungry so I immediately went home and ate the wieners. Then I had a long run of driving the kids around for lessons and practices. The banana and nuts came into play there.

I had low energy today. Very low. I posted elsewhere that I was wondering if it could truly be related to that birthday brunch Saturday. Or maybe my German meats have hidden gluten or dairy (though I'm 97% sure not). And I even thought that maybe my usual winter blues are hitting. Or stress from a work thing that I really don't want to do.

I've been also wondering if I should do the AI protocol. I don't officially have any autoimmune diagnoses. The mystery thing the doctor and I have been working on has autoimmune signatures. Hmmm. I'm still thinking that if I stick with the Whole30 rules for a period of time I'll get there. And if not, then I can tag on the AI additions, er, subtractions.

I like that you're having vegetables with Meal 1. That's something I see a lot of people skipping.

On the autoimmune, I don't know if you've looked at Terry Wahls's research. She is healing her own multiple sclerosis, and doing clinical trials of this way of eating with other autoimmune diseases.

I don't have autoimmune issues but I'm following her protocol anyway. Which is basically the Paleo diet but wtih 3 cups each of:

• Greens (such as kale, not salad greens)
  • 'Sulfur' vegetables (cruciferous and others such as asparagus)
  • 'Deeply colored' vegetables and fruit (those that are colored all the way through, so yes for carrots but no for turnips)

That's 9+ cups of vegetables a day.

Her TED talk is good and I found some written interviews with her to be helpful. But her other recorded material (webinars) are really hard to sit through (she could use some coaching on presenting).

She doesn't mention this in the TED talk but in some other interviews she says she tried the Paleo diet and it didn't make a difference until she tweaked the vegetables. Those quantities of those types of vegetables, along with the rest of the Paleo protocol, gave her vitamins and minerals through natural sources.

She had used supplements to treat herself and thought they weren't doing anything until she stopped taking them. She suddenly lost a lot of energy, which told her that supplements were doing some good -- but they were only slowing her decline, they weren't reversing it. When she had the idea to get her nutrients from food rather than from supplements, is when things turned around for her.

Anyway. Here's the video clip. It sure all looks Whole30 compliant to me.

Hm. Can't see how to show the video. But here's the URL if you want to watch her TED talk:

Hmmmm made me giggle. I'm glad you're in! How are you doing?

Doing great....gonna do a Whole 30 every quarter, much to my hubby's dismay. I think he feels pressure even though he won't admit it. Loving what,you are doing with your life! Keep up the great work!

I've been also wondering if I should do the AI protocol. I don't officially have any autoimmune diagnoses. The mystery thing the doctor and I have been working on has autoimmune signatures. Hmmm. I'm still thinking that if I stick with the Whole30 rules for a period of time I'll get there. And if not, then I can tag on the AI additions, er, subtractions.

You know, you are one person I would consider doing the AIP with even though I've said it would be a greater sacrifice than I want to do. I have mild and controlled MS, my dad and sister have juvenile diabetes, dad has Parkinson's, and mom has some kind of systemic inflammatory condition (ruled out lupus) so I suspect that protocol might be helpful. But yet, I haven't wanted to take that step.

You will need to give me plenty of notice so I can prepare myself mentally but......and still.....and so, there you go!

Day 4

Hey, it's harder to know what day it is now that I didn't start on the first.

Sleep: 8.25 hours

Eaten:

1. Omelet with jalapeño, tomato, mushrooms; chicken sausage; avocado
  2. Sirloin; summer squash, green beans, carrots; coconut butter
  3. 2 boiled eggs; banana
  4. Kielbasa (the last of it); butternut squash (Well Fed, the last of it)

1 and 2 were business meals at restaurants. Both restaurants were very cooperative and helpful Both of the people I was meeting made it easy too. The first is actually trying to do paleo, so she changed her order after I did. She hadn't realized she could order avocado in place of toast. The lunch colleague is gluten and dairy free. So neither thought it at all strange I ordered what I did.

I went to a Starbucks for a drink late in the afternoon. I ordered my usual - unsweetened iced green tea. I've been ordering this since they've had iced green tea and I've never had it sweetened. Unfortunately, the barista must not have heard unsweetened and I didn't realize I had a sweetened drink until I took a swig in my car after having driven off. I was a tiny sad. It was on the road and I couldn't go back. Ah well.

I have continued to shed water all day. And with it going away, I feel more energetic. Interesting.

Day 5

Not done for the day, but I'm heading out for a birthday gathering in a bit and won't have time to post when I get home. I'll add my dinner tomorrow.

Sleep: 8 hours

Eaten:

1. Scrambled eggs, pork sausage, bacon, kale [pictured]
  2. Bacon, zucchini, ground beef and onions in marinara, apple sauce

b2f33400-0d79-41f9-b204-a673525578e5_zps27aa0e35.jpg

The sleep wasn't terrible restful but I feel good today anyway. I find myself pretty focused and able to concentrate in spite of the madness of workers being in my home where I work. As for the sleep, I felt leg cramps coming on. None came to full crampiness but it was there. I figure it's related to the great water retention blow out of the last few days. I'll get the electrolytes balanced again over the next few days.

Other than that...not much to report.

Addition to Day 5

Went out to a dinner gathering to celebrate a friend's birthday. I ate a small green salad and a grilled chicken breast. I wasn't all that hungry. The first two meals of the day were pretty hearty. But I felt I needed to eat something or I'd be ravenous at bed. And it probably helped me in firmly saying no to the giant chocolate cake that was brought in. I was fine without it. I didn't so much want the cake as it just felt weird to not eat it. It took me back to the days when I first stopped drinking.

Another note. I think the bacon, though compliant, is trouble. It's quite salty and my gut is saying it's causing body issues that I see as water retention. I'm not all that in love with it anyway. Somehow a month without bacon and with fresher foods is turning off my bacon taste receptors. Gasp! Bacon?!? Yep. So I'll freeze it and save it as seasoning where it will be used in much smaller amounts.

I will not make my 8-9 hour sleep goal tonight. I might take a nap tomorrow to bridge the gap.

Toodles!

Day 6

Sleep: 7.5 hours.

Eaten:

1. Omelet with mushrooms, jalapeño, tomatoes; chicken sausage; avocado (restaurant)
  2. Egg salad made of eggs, avocado oil mayo; raw carrots (brown bag for group meeting)
  3. Ground beef/onions/marinara; apple sauce
  4. 2 Applegate Farms beef hot dogs; cabbage, green peppers, onions, avocado oil, chicken broth

The day started off rather awkwardly. I ended up with not enough time, I thought, for a proper morning meal and to pack a proper meal for later when I'd be in a meeting. Somehow I readjusted and did fine. I packed the noon meal and ate after I left home at a restaurant.

I need to hit up some stores this weekend. I'm woefully low on so many necessities. It's getting tough to put together a compelling meal.

And now I'm lounging in squishy clothes, with my laptop, in front of a rerun of The Mentalist that I'm half watching. Ah, friday!

Hello Nila! I'm really enjoying your log. I just started my first Whole30 on February 5. I encourage you to continue to work on ridding yourself of inflammation. I am 60 years old and just now working hard on getting healthy. I've got an eye toward retiring in a few years, and one of my financial goals is to be as healthy when I retire as I possibly can be.

I envy you your sleep. I've worked up to the point where if I get 7 hours uninterrupted that's a really good night for me. I know that sleep is part of the recovery/healing process, so I'll keep at it.

Hello Nila! I'm really enjoying your log. I just started my first Whole30 on February 5. I encourage you to continue to work on ridding yourself of inflammation. I am 60 years old and just now working hard on getting healthy. I've got an eye toward retiring in a few years, and one of my financial goals is to be as healthy when I retire as I possibly can be.

I envy you your sleep. I've worked up to the point where if I get 7 hours uninterrupted that's a really good night for me. I know that sleep is part of the recovery/healing process, so I'll keep at it.

Thanks for appreciating my log and encouraging me! You have a great goal there. Being as healthy as you can when you retire will certainly help you enjoy retirement more.

Sleep...I used to have varying degrees of insomnia. At one point it got so bad that I average an hour or two per night for six weeks. It was devastating. I've worked at it. Yoga and meditation before bed help, as does having as dark a room as possible. I have taped over every tiny light in my bedroom. The hall light can't be on. We can't have clocks with light up numbers. Even the smoke detector LED way up on the ceiling has to be extinguished. If not, I'll lie awake or have sleep terrors. It's crazy. So now I'm just working toward getting more sleep. It's probably some sort of adrenal issue, but if I'm left to my own devices, I'd stay up until 1:30 and get up at 9:30. That's the pattern I'll fall into if I have a chance. Unfortunately, the world of school and business starts much earlier. That means a 6:30 wake time.

Has your Whole30 had a positive effect on your sleep yet? It may be too early, but most seem to get good results.

Day 7, part I

Sleep: 9 hours - and I feel good!

Eaten so far:

1. Leftovers - cabbage, green pepper, onion, chicken broth; 3 Applegate Farms beef hot dogs
  2. Salad bar from Whole Foods - romaine, cucumber, red cabbage, carrot, cilantro, parsley, pulled chicken, egg, olive oil, balsamic vinegar [shown below]

8A7B0CDF-E55E-4575-A320-BFF03CA04FA1-6306-00000681B0DCEAFD_zps6ee9980a.jpg

Today was a big ol' shoppin' day. My husband went with me as we made the rounds to Costco, Target, and Whole Foods. I picked up the giant tub of organic coconut oil, regular olive oil, olives, and pistachios for me and a whole bunch of stuff my family eats but I don't. Huge, huge haul. At Target, our purchases were much more modest. I don't think anything I got there was Whole30. That was all picked up at Whole Foods.

Now I have a chicken in the oven and the makings of a stew in the smaller slow cooker (beef, chicken, yam, compliant marinara, and compliant bacon, just enough for seasoning). I'm going to make kale chips when the oven is free from the chicken. And I'm brewing a new pitcher of herbal tea for my iced tea sipping habit. More than anything else I ingest, iced tea is probably part of my identity.

And it's time to turn to the mundane. Laundry. Cleaning. More laundry. If I get myself going, I can work in time for a book and maybe even a candlelit, healing bath tonight.

Has your Whole30 had a positive effect on your sleep yet? It may be too early, but most seem to get good results.

Not exactly. I seem to have more energy later in the day (this is a GOOD thing!) so I don't want to go to bed quite as early as I should.

But the one good thing that's happened to me lately, and that was even before I started the Whole30 program, was that I'm not waking up 2-3 times during the night to go to the bathroom. I used to get two 3-hour naps a night, but lately I've been getting 5.5-6.5 uninterrupted. I have no idea what caused the change, but I'm glad it's happened.

The chicken and the crockpot stew sound awesome! I usually prep food on Sunday afternoon to take for lunches during the work week.

Day 7, part II

Eaten:

1. Kale chips
  2. Yam hash browns (coconut oil), chorizo, lettuce, tomatoes, jicama; banana, coconut milk, cocoa powder

04D825EE-F7C2-4A77-A9F8-9FC39B8FB24C-6306-000006899B75D926_zpsec1c3f5e.jpg

A hot bath and out.

And...this photo stuff is frustrating. The first time it worked great. Now I'm simply baffled by the weirdness. Some days I the photos just won't resize. Like this.

Archived