Can I have Runner Beans?

saracv8

I'm on day 48 of my first whole30 (it went so well and I lost 14 lbs :) so I decided to carry on) and am planning to continue for as long as possible. Planning ahead, I wondered if I could eat runner beans? I've always grown them here in the UK and love them but I'm not sure if they are allowed. They are the ones that climb poles and have red flowers, I'm not sure what they are called in the US (maybe red runners?) but they are really big green pods and are more pod than bean.

To be honest, I don't know. They don't grow up here in Scotland but my uncle used to grow them in his garden in Wembley. The ones I remember eating always had quite a big bean in them, like a cross between green beans and broad beans if that makes sense. They are classed as a legume, the same as the Greek 'gigantes'. I personally would have avoided them but I don't know the official answer, sorry.

To be honest, I don't know. They don't grow up here in Scotland but my uncle used to grow them in his garden in Wembley. The ones I remember eating always had quite a big bean in them, like a cross between green beans and broad beans if that makes sense. They are classed as a legume, the same as the Greek 'gigantes'. I personally would have avoided them but I don't know the official answer, sorry.

Kirsteen I didn't see your comment about them being a lagume. I looked and looked but couldn't find that on Wiki. I think I would avoid them too.

I love green beans and I know they are allowed in W30 (like snow peas) but I am avoiding them because of AIP. I have been tracking my food in the PaleoTrack app, and it considers green beans non-Paleo. What we call pole beans in the Southern U.S. have beans inside big pods- you cook them forever and eat the whole thing. I prefer les haricots verts - the fine ones, with almost no bean. But I am staying away from them all for the time being.

Kirsteen I didn't see your comment about them being a lagume. I looked and looked but couldn't find that on Wiki. I think I would avoid them too.

It wasn't in wiki. it was all the places that were selling them to grow had them under legumes. I'm really confused because you do eat the whole pod. I imagine if they're eaten young enough, then they'll be mostly pod and very little bean. As they get older the beans will grow. I've also seen them harvested and then the beans dried but that's not what we're talking about here.

The thing is Sara, you are past your W30. I know you said you wanted to carry on but it does give you a bit more leeway so you could always try them and see how they affect you.

It wasn't in wiki. it was all the places that were selling them to grow had them under legumes. I'm really confused because you do eat the whole pod. I imagine if they're eaten young enough, then they'll be mostly pod and very little bean. As they get older the beans will grow. I've also seen them harvested and then the beans dried but that's not what we're talking about here.

The thing is Sara, you are past your W30. I know you said you wanted to carry on but it does give you a bit more leeway so you could always try them and see how they affect you.

I am going to email my brother. He has a degree in agriculture and is a master gardener. Lets see what he has to say. :)

Sara, if you try them. Let us know.

Hello everyone, sorry not replied sooner but thanks for all your comments.

After Kirsteen reminding me that I'm outside my whole 30 so could be a little more flexible and the update from slw600's agriculturalist brother, I've bought a packet of seeds to grow. I'll make sure I pick them young and will let you know how it goes.

55 days W30 strong....

We grow runner beans (they are called scarlet runner beans here in the US, as we learned upon moving here and looking for the seeds) in the garden every year. Aside from just being lovely in the garden and great climbers, they are tasty. We used to grow them in the UK all the time.

For those Stateside, you do eat the whole bean, pod and all--pick them when they are about 6 inches long, cut them in little french strips on a diagonal, and COOK them.

These are not like mange tout or sugar snap peas where you can eat them raw. They contain (albeit a small amount) of the lectin phytohaemagglutinin (not making that up, I promise) which is what you find in high concentrations in kidney beans, for example--and what can really cause stomach pains (legumes, legumes). This, I will hasten to point out, is when the pods are more mature--and in truth you can eat the pod raw before the little beans inside develop. As for cooking, we tend to saute them until the green brightens considerably--you know--not grey, but 'cuit'. I'm only sad we no longer have our winding cutter that makes the job quick for cutting...must be in a packing box somewhere...

Good luck growing your seeds--they particularly like growing with squashes, fyi!

• 4 months later...

Archived