Can I have these?

Edz2003

So i just completed my w30 on Feb 15th and lost 17 pounds and feel great.so I decided to reintroduce somethings back into my diet. Thankfully i don't crave bread which i loved before, don't want rice and don't care for Splenda which i also loved with my morning coffee. I have been drinking a Moroccan mint decaffeinated tea with two Dates and a Turkish organic Fig. I also started to reintroduce a very small amount of Half & Half into my coffee and adding a hint of Honey. My question is, can i have dates and figs with my tea? Also since I'm on the reintro phase, can i have a the half & Half and the Honey? Non of these actually make me feel sick or anything so I am open to recommendations and perhaps any healthier replacements. Thank you all.

• Moderators

You can eat anything you want when you are not doing a Whole30. You can have dates and figs during a Whole30, but they are mostly sugar bombs and not a good idea.

If I were going to include dairy in my diet, I would probably go with heavy cream and not Half & Half, but that is a matter of personal preference.

Honey is as good a choice for a sweetener as I know.

Thanks Tom. When you say heavy cream, would coconut cream be a good sub? And if I wanted to add regular milk in my coffee would you say a regular pasteurized milk be ok or what would be the best form of milk I can have? I'd be using it for my coffee only! Thanks for all your help!!

If you are wanting to avoid dairy then coconut milk is a good sub. If you can tolerate a little dairy then Tom is suggesting heavy cream over half and half because it contains more of the fat and less lactose and casein. Personally, I use 1 TBS of half and half (when not on a W30) in my one cup of coffee a day because coconut milk or black coffee is not enjoyable to me. Heavy cream makes it too rich..or thick.

I may dump all of it permanently because I have given up coffee for 100 days and I find myself not really missing it. I am enjoying my cup of bone broth or hot water with lemon more than coffee. :)

Okay, the topic of coffee always makes me perk up (sorry). So having been a half-and-half user since the Nixon administration, the idea of giving it up for Whole30 Lent was like giving up a child.

During my Whole30 I read the forums and employed a bunch of variations on the half-and-half theme, all based on coconut or ghee or both, and the coconut cream grew on me. But still, on Day 1 of Dairy re-intro, I expected the clouds to part and violins to play as I greeted my old friend half-and-half and--*waa,waa,waaaaa*--my coffee not only tasted funny but it tasted like...well, half and half. It apparently only took 30 days to realize I kinda like having coffee in my coffee. Coconut cream adds a little lightness and a tiny bit of sweetness but doesn't disguise the actual coffee, which, as it turns out, I like. And if I'm gonna spend $8.99/lb. on something...I should really be tasting it.

So as with many Whole30'ers something happened during those 30 days that changed the way things taste and it hasn't stopped with coffee. Maybe it's the lack of a craving layered over it, but my relationship with all sorts of previously "to die for" items has changed i.e. chocolate, gummy sour candy, peanut butter, yogurt, oatmeal, Trader Joe's cheese crunchies, etc. And on the other side of the equation, food that formerly held no sway is now like manna from heaven i.e. home made yam fries, any fruit, Larabars (these could eventually be a problem).

If you are wanting to avoid dairy then coconut milk is a good sub. If you can tolerate a little dairy then Tom is suggesting heavy cream over half and half because it contains more of the fat and less lactose and casein. Personally, I use 1 TBS of half and half (when not on a W30) in my one cup of coffee a day because coconut milk or black coffee is not enjoyable to me. Heavy cream makes it too rich..or thick.

I may dump all of it permanently because I have given up coffee for 100 days and I find myself not really missing it. I am enjoying my cup of bone broth or hot water with lemon more than coffee. :)

My hero! :)

I thought about giving up coffee, but how would I get enough coconut milk down my throat??? Lol. One of these days....

Tomorrow will be 120 days .... I really don't feel like reintro dairy of any kind, not craving it and has been food without brakes for me in the past. I do plan on going out for Sushi fri night, so I will see how white rice treats me.... Won't eat soy sauce yet or ever....

My hero!

I thought about giving up coffee, but how would I get enough coconut milk down my throat??? Lol. One of these days....

Tomorrow will be 120 days .... I really don't feel like reintro dairy of any kind, not craving it and has been food without brakes for me in the past. I do plan on going out for Sushi fri night, so I will see how white rice treats me.... Won't eat soy sauce yet or ever....

Lol FB. The CM goes in, on and around everything else. :) I made some semi boring chicken and leftover veggie soup today. I wasn't in love so I dumped in a can of CM and a little cilantro and grated some fresh ginger. Then I was in love. :)

When not doing a W whatever, I go out for sushi regularly. Thank goodness the rice doesn't bother me and I take my own coconut aminos. :)

^^^^ Susan.... Great minds think alike... LOL

I did the same with my " chicken chilli?" today.... Tasted sort of blah so in went the coconut milk and cilantro and more green chile.... Kinda of more of a mix of Thai green/red ground chicken curry than any chilli I've ever had but it was amazing!!!

I really hope rice agrees with me... I miss sushi and plain sashimi doesn't cut it alone... Plus I workout so much it's hard to stay on top of carb intake with just squashy type stuff... I eat so much of it I feel like a double stuffed sweet potato!

^^^^ Susan.... Great minds think alike... LOL

I did the same with my " chicken chilli?" today.... Tasted sort of blah so in went the coconut milk and cilantro and more green chile.... Kinda of more of a mix of Thai green/red ground chicken curry than any chilli I've ever had but it was amazing!!!

I really hope rice agrees with me... I miss sushi and plain sashimi doesn't cut it alone... Plus I workout so much it's hard to stay on top of carb intake with just squashy type stuff... I eat so much of it I feel like a double stuffed sweet potato!

We should move this to a pm but just had a talk with my trainer (flips 600lb tires when in the mood) about this very thing. He is very Paleo but when he does 2 a days for however long, he thinks he needs those other carbs. I used you as an example my friend.

Off to pm you. :)

Archived