Just need an understanding ear...this is SO hard!!!

Heatherw

I just wanted to get this off my chest here where I know people would understand. My husband and I are on day 10 of our Whole30. We have three children ages 1, 5 and 7 and they are doing a modified whole30, basically they can occasionally have small amounts of grains, yogurt and cheese. I had a rough bout of 'paleo flu' on days 4-5 but was happy to get over the hump on day 6. That same day, my 1 yr old fell and hurt his foot or ankle and couldn't stand...urgent care....no visible fractures. It's been five days and he still won't stand. Going back to dr. tomorrow. He wants to nurse and/or be held constantly. He is 25 lbs!

The morning after his fall he woke up with a stomach virus and was very sick for 2 days. Then I got it the night before last and barely ate yesterday...just bits of fruit. I did go off plan slightly by eating stove popped corn cooked in coconut oil w some ghee. It settled my stomach and gave me energy to care for my family which was needed because my husband fell ill with the bug last night and is totally out of commission today. I feel stretched so thin. Doing a whole30 itself was challenging enough, I am just blown away with how challenging it is to be in survival mode on top of it.

I give you props for doing it for 10 days with young children. I find it hard enough to keep myself organized and last night forgot to feed the cats until well after their dinner time, so kudos to you! I hope your lil guy's foot heals quickly and I'm glad you posted.

Omg Heather. I am so sorry. That does make things so much harder. These will all pass, but I doubt it feels like it right now. Just remember, diving face first into cake (totally what I would want to do) won't make a darn thing better.

thank you so much for your kind words. you know what the icing on the cake was this morning? I thought it would be nice to have a small 'treat' and use my free coffee coupon at starbucks for a black coffee since my husband wasn't up for coffee this morning. I thought it would be good to get the baby out of the house too since we've been housebound. there's a Starbucks drive-thru about 2 miles away so off we went, I got my tall coffee and came back home, opened it up to add a little coconut milk and.....THEY ADDED MILK TO IT!!! I was absolutely furious! I knew I shouldn't have been but I was. ;) It smelled so nice and I had to pour the whole steaming cup down the drain. I will say that somehow, things are starting to look up as I recover from the illness and am able to eat again...ahhh the power of (good) food. I am not tempted at all to cheat. Just didn't expect to be this challenged.

You were not tempted at all to cheat? You are my hero! ;)

I think it's awesome that with all you've gone through these past several days, you've kept at the Whole30 as best you can and have kept a postive attitude. You have so much to be proud of so far. I can't wait to hear your success story when you're done with the Whole30!

Keep up the positive attitude - and you're right, the power of good food is undeniable. Best of luck to you.

Thank you!! I should probably clarify that the challenging part of whole30 hasn't been staying on plan, so much as making the time for the increased amount of meal planning, list making, shopping and of course food prep. The increased time spent in front of the sink/stove with a clingy baby has been challenging. Instead of baking fruits/veggies for the kids, I just want to hand them some crackers. ;)

Heather I am so, so sorry you've been having to cope with all this. You've certainlty had more than your fair share and, like the others, I am absolutely in awe of you for sticking with it but, as Susan said, bad food won't make you feel better. I do hope your little one's foot is better, let us know he's doing and I really hope everything improves for you. Vent away here any time you feel like it and, yeah, make Starbucks give you another coffee. :)

Unfortunately I haven't felt well enough to have another coffee. Less than half a day of really starting to feel good again after the stomach virus, I got clobbered with a horrible cold...maybe the flu bc of the chills and aches. I was a bit underweight to begin with and have fallen below my minimum weight now. So I made an executive decision :) to add whole oats back in. Helps with the nursing too. I just have to gety strength back up or I'm going to end up in the hospital!

Heather, really sorry to hear you're feeling so grotty. Take good care of yourself. As Juzbo said sometimes you just do the best you can and don't need any added stress. Really hope you feel better soon. The W30 will still be here when you're ready for it. Take care.

Woah - that's A LOT. I'm calling that rotating flu/stomach virus/cold thing The Plague this year - it's intense. Dealing with a nursing baby and a sick self and sick husband and doing a Whole30 on top of all of that - huge props. And healing vibes to you all.

I think this is definitely one of those "put the oxygen mask on yourself first" moments. I agree with Kirsteen, the Whole 30 will always be here for you. If you need the oats or whatever to get you through, I think you are right to go for it.

Archived