Cave girl Megan whole 30 log-week 1 recap

Cavegirlmegan

Wow, I wish I would have seen this log forum day one! I'll have to recap my first week. I'm pretty excited still, and one week already down. So many things I'm proud of this week!

1 Carb flu turned into real flu, and I had a pretty bad cold this week, but I stuck with the program even when ginger ale and chicken noodle soup were calling my name. Learned I the whole30 daily that this is normal.

2 Survived two social engagements where there were many yummy treats and wine.

3 Tolerated cranky husband who is doing his own diet (calorie restriction)

4 Resisted temptation to weigh in morning noon and night. This is a break through.

5. No fruit or nuts, for now. Really trying to kick the sugar.

Overall observations after first week:

1. I bought way to much food at Costco

2. Making homemade mayo is hard, no matter how many blogs and YouTube videos I consult

3. I'm less hungry now that the first few days. I made a steak for dinner and only ate like 3 oz

4. Sugar cravings are gone but the habit/ritual of evening sweets and wine still beckons. Tea helps

5. My knees are less achy. This could be because with cold I have not been to crossfit for a week. We will see.

6. I am obsessed with Melissa "melicious" of clothes make the girl

7. Can't wait to see how I sleep without the cold

I forgot the mention the best part, the thing I logged into the forum to post! My favorite thing about the Whole30 is that I can eat guilt free! No more remorse after every dinner, where I feel I've compromised nutrition or eaten too many calories. No more waking up with a headache from wine or other food hangovers. I can indulge in bacon and half an avocado and really feel entitled to them. Who misses bread? (ok I still miss wine).

Megan, I can so relate to your description of week one! I'm on day 11 here and the freedom to eat has been wonderful! I've also noticed that while I still get frustrated with my 3 tween/teens attitudes and general teen-ness, I am much kinder to myself. That constant background banter in my head is gradually disappearing. The simple (yet strict) rules have provided me with a much needed sense of control - especially when it comes to WINE! I've noticed though that I don't whine about missing my wine like I have in the past.

The timeline on the site is remarkably accurate and helpful. Knowing that "this too shall pass" keeps me going. Plus, I also bought too much food to start and have a freezer full of chocolate chili, sausage patties and meatballs... So, no excuses for eating anything but on plan. I'm washing my jeans today and hoping that my body fits just a little better into those even when fresh washed & dried!!

Good luck to you!

A few days ago I had a dream that I ate wedding cake, not a piece, a whole cake. In my dream I had so much guilt and thought, now I have to go back to day 1! I was so relieved when I woke up.

This is funny because I hadn't consciously been craving cake in my waking hours, and then I read on the Whole30 daily that this it totally common.

Hi Megan, great to hear how you are doing, day8 for me without nuts and coffee but part of a bigger whole100 so I am past the carb flu, funny dreams etc. I am still enjoying the no need to feel guilty phase through... Even when I overeat it's no big deal as it still supports good health... All the best for the next week

Yahtzee! I made MAYO! It took several tries and tweaks. Who knows which variable ended up being the one, hopefully I can recreate. In the meantime, I will enjoy my ranch, egg salad, crab salad, tuna salad, hollandaise,.... what are your favorite mayo recipes?

Also made Ghee today, but that was much less of an accomplishment than the Mayo.

It's been a great day, as I've also discovered my favorite Frank's hot sauce is Paleo! So I whipped up some chicken legs with my ghee, and can't wait to rock it with some ranch. Spicy hot wings with no guilt? This is amazing!

Day 9- the energy is kicking in! Went to yoga, first time working out in 8 days, felt great. Taking on those tasks around the house that I usually procrastinate- sorting through piles, cleaning the garage, cleaning out the car plus the usual weekend cooking and laundry. Without the brain fog, it's less troublesome to do little chores. Usually I just want to sit on the couch!

Literally reached into the cooler of beef at the farmer's market this morning as the same time as my Crossfit coach. He'd wondered where I've been but understood about starting the whole30. Ready to get back to the gym now that the cold is done. Swapped recipes with him about bone broth, excited to make this one!

I made mayo yesterday too! Happy to hear I wasn't the only one to failed at it the first couple times. Made some yummy avocado dressing last night and seriously can't wait to eat a salad today. :)

Good job Sarah! I was so excited, weren't you? What's your avocado dressing recipe?

I used the Creamy Avocado Dressing recipe from ISWF.

1/2 avocado

1/4 C mayo

Juice of a lime

small garlic clove

handful of cilantro

salt and pepper

Throw it all in the blender and BLEND! Add a tbsp or two of water if it's too thick (which mine was... took about 3 tbsp of water to get it to a workable consistancy.) Let it rest about 30 minutes for the flavors to meld.

I'm eating a salad with it on it right now! Delish!

Day 10

Last night I dreamed of eating fancy cupcakes. WTH? Yes, don't get me wrong, cake is tasty. But if what I really crave is wine in my waking hours, why do I dream of cake so much?

So made the stock/bone broth (I think of it as "meat tea") over night and it was kind of bland. Maybe I should have used more bones, or more salt. I sort expected it to be richer and more savory. Maybe I should keep cooking it to reduce it.

First day back at Cossfit and it felt awesome. (Granted, it was a partner WOD so there was more rest than usual. Good luck for my first WOD back after 10 days off) I was thinking, wow- it's kind of amazing I was able to do Crossfit at all with how crappy I felt before. The more thought of doing burpies would make my head spin, but tonight I plowed through 25 of them.

Going to make some meat tea now.

I almost forgot- last night I went to a girlfriend's to watch the Oscars and she made me a lovely compliant snack of baked sweet potato chips. Hells bells- they were delicious crack. Like bacon, I thought, these are too good to be true! This plan is truly not a diet, but a way of eating that is not deprived and miserable. Sweet potato chips is maybe SWYPO, so I will try not make for myself lest it become a routine habit treat.

Day 13

Lunch out was a total pain in the a$$ ordering. They messed up my salad 3 times- first the tuna had mayo in it when I requested not. Then they brought back with plain chicken but it had dressing. Then again came back with cheese sprinkles. Wtf. Then turns out the tomato soup had dairy and canola oil so my plan was just hexed. Suspect I still accidentally ate something bad since I felt like I needed a nap after the meal. Energy stayed low all afternoon, so took a rest day from crossfit. Last might I went to boxing class and I felt great. Sore today though!

Cravings are for wine, probably because a movie I was watching planted the idea. Also really want a cookie. Still haven't had any fruit.

Tonight for dinner made up a recipe- chicken thigh, paprika and cayenne, wrapped in bacon on top bed of brussel sprouts and bake. The Brussels were delish as they roasted in the chicken and bacon fat. Chicken was also good but I should have seasoned more so I dumped my beloved Franks on top.

Spending the weekend at my brother and sister in laws. Will be challenging to not be in control and in my own kitchen. Making some short ribs in the crock pot tonight to bring, and also brined my chicken to be ready for "the best chicken you will ever taste" tomorrow night. http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/06/09/the-best-chicken-you-will-ever-eat-ever/

Maybe wishful thinking, but my tummy looks flatter...? Am I imagining my pants feeling better? They will probably need to fall down before I admit they are too big. I have a whole wardrobe full of clothes a size or 2 smaller ready to be worn!

Day 14! Half way!

Today I am really thankful for an unexpected realization to my whole30 journey: I have to say, and I know this sounds full of myself but you all are so wonderful you will forgive me, but I'm turning into a pretty freakin' awesome cook! I give 100% of the credit to the wonderful ladies at The Clothes Make the Girl and Nom Nom Paleo. But really this 30 day challenge is about taking the time and effort to do what matters, and another amazing happy result of that is that I'm enjoying more delicious food that I realized I could prepare. In fact, tonight's dinner (http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3762844557/slow-cooker-korean-grass-fed-short-ribs) was so amazing that I actually had some pre-whole30 food guilt- like this is too good and I am enjoying this so much, it must be bad for me. I couldn't believe how delicious something I MADE was, it was restaurant good. Better even. And last night I make the "best chicken you will ever taste" and it was the same phenomenon. When I ate crap, I cooked like crap and things never turned out this delicious. I used to definitely have the thought that if I was cooking, it had to be "healthy" because I could control what was going in and I was not going to make some super delicious mashed potatoes or cheesy casserole when I was have all the guilt of knowing how much butter/sour cream/crack was in it.

Now I can make good food that's good for me. You know what I mean? This is so huge that I can be a good cook because I have the freedom to make real things, not horrible low fat foods I used to eat like garden burgers, brown rice, greek yogurt and garbanzo beans because those things are gross.

On another note-

I went over to Pike Place market where there is this great spice specialty store (www.worldspice.com- which ships by the way) and bought a tone of delicious, freshly grinded blends. My favorite so far is Ranch blend, which I mixed into my homemade mayo and made delicious dip and also sprinkled on broccoli before I roasted it. Tonight my husband said, I want to eat like you eat. You may recall from my day 1 post that I was doing this alone because my husband was doing a Medifast diet. Winner!!!!

So happy. :D

(not gonna lie since this is for posterity and my official record, a glass of Cab with the amaz-balls short ribs would have been killer, but it's ok. Still having some cravings, but will not yield to them!).

Today I am really thankful for an unexpected realization to my whole30 journey: I have to say, and I know this sounds full of myself but you all are so wonderful you will forgive me, but I'm turning into a pretty freakin' awesome cook!

Yes! I feel like I'm indulging myself all the time. If you haven't wandered over to Foodee.com, check it out. Last night I made Indian-spiced sweet potatoes and my 11 year old ate a big helping! Double win.

ooh...i checked out those spices...i'll have to buy some and have them shipped to me. i'm only on day 2 and have been thus far avoiding a lot of recipes and keeping things super simple, but i do love nomnompaleo...i may have to go check out some recipes before i make my grocery list for the week.

I haven't wanted to post because I haven't wanted to be negative, but in the interest of documentation ...

The last few days I've really struggled with cravings, moods, energy, and my tummy. Gut/digestion has been off for more than a week, but I'm tuffing it out. I haven't worked out in days due to energy and really sore legs from thurs. So much for faster recovery. Really wanting sweets a lot more than I did the first 2 weeks. Baked goods. Wine. Chocolate. Aaaauuuuggghhhhh!!!!

I'm not going to quit or cheat, but the magic is fading. I'll write it her so I can look back at this as a rough patch when I'm feeling better!

you're right Lynne! We have come far! It's still a little rough. Tired of evangelizing/explaining this way of eating to everyone. Eventually it will be just how I eat and they'll stop asking. We have company, and it's rough not to celebrate and drink with them. Still in the rough patch, but 3 weeks down! I am already thinking about extending my whole30, so that's a positive sign. Going to surprise my dad for his birthday in CO this week- will be hard not to have some cake and a wine with him.

I completely get it! Socializing is really challenging to me right now too. Especially since this is my first Whole30 and the jury is still out a bit on the benefits etc... Just going to Starbucks with a friend yesterday was awkward when she wanted things to be her "treat" and all I wanted was a hot tea as just about anything else is off limits! I was as high as a kite on the caffeine of a Grande tea!!! My hands were shaking and I was talking a mile a minute. Given that I was a diet coke addict since it was introduced 33 years ago... and I've been caffeine free for 3+ weeks; It was so funny to see my body react to it like that!!!

Safe trip to CO (I love that state!) and stick to your guns. Make yourself some mashed sweet potatoes with yummy spices and pretend it's pie!!! I always have pie on my birthday :P

I'm going to extend until April 1st at this point. I am pretty sure I haven't reaped all the benefits of this lifestyle yet and don't want to cut myself short; besides on most days (w/o social activities and w/o wine in the house) it's pretty simple.

I completely get it! Socializing is really challenging to me right now too. Especially since this is my first Whole30 and the jury is still out a bit on the benefits etc... Just going to Starbucks with a friend yesterday was awkward when she wanted things to be her "treat" and all I wanted was a hot tea as just about anything else is off limits! I was as high as a kite on the caffeine of a Grande tea!!! My hands were shaking and I was talking a mile a minute. Given that I was a diet coke addict since it was introduced 33 years ago... and I've been caffeine free for 3+ weeks; It was so funny to see my body react to it like that!!!

my new starbucks regular drink is the vanilla roobis tea- it's decaf. Try that! Sigh, I did the diet coke too but feel so much better off it! I'm sure it and the wine were completely dehydrating me, plus it's a cup o' chemicals.

Archived