Re entry and gaining weight?

Jenn B

I am on day 25, contemplating this reintroduction, in the same boat as many of you- I am intrigued by the clean eating as a relatively permanent lifestyle change.

I did not do this to lose weight, however, weighing on my mind is will i put on weight with diary, or grains.

I don't know where my weight stands (bmi, skeletal muscle, body and visceral fat) because i have not weighed in since day 1, however, it only seems logical that if so many people, as they have posted, have taken off weight, then with reintroduction one would put back on weight.

there are certain foods i want to reintroduce because i do like them, but don't crave them, for instance, my Arbonne brand protein shake (which is pea based, not whey based supplement) for lifting weights . I like starbucks latte's and would love to sip on one- in this whole experiment i have forgone coffee and taken up tea.

I don't think there's really a question here, Jen! :)

Yes, it follows that by reintroducing the excluded food groups, you should gain weight, but that's not always how it works. Even if they're not the whole picture, calories still matter. Weight loss isn't a goal of the W30, but it's often a side effect...mainly because the foods are so nutrient dense and highly satiating, that you just happen to wind up in a happy, healthy calorie deficit.

A big part of the W30 is eliminating foods "with no brakes" and being able to trust our signaling again. If you reintro dairy or grains sporadically, you aren't going to magically break all that work that you've done

Sure, some foods are triggers that you can mindlessly munch on until the tub of plantain chips are gone (this has NEVER happened to me! I swear!!), but for the most part, you're going to have enough yogurt until you're satisfied and not go crazy.

I've let grains and dairy back into my diet on a 20% basis, but I've still been maintaining at 170.

I did a whole30 in January and lost 5 pounds, bringing me down to 157.0. I then did my reintroductions over the course of 2 weeks, and had a few "off the bandwagon" meals the week after that - during this time my weight fluctuated between 157.0 and 158.6 (up and down, not continuously gaining). After deciding there was nothing I wanted to continue eating on a regular basis (in terms of the reintroduced foods), my weight has started decreasing again, even though I'm not on a whole30. I think what you learn about yourself on whole30 will help you continue to lose weight, although at a slower, but more manageable weight, than if you just go back to how you were eating before.

• 1 year later...

I don't think there's really a question here, Jen! :)

Yes, it follows that by reintroducing the excluded food groups, you should gain weight, but that's not always how it works. Even if they're not the whole picture, calories still matter. Weight loss isn't a goal of the W30, but it's often a side effect...mainly because the foods are so nutrient dense and highly satiating, that you just happen to wind up in a happy, healthy calorie deficit.

A big part of the W30 is eliminating foods "with no brakes" and being able to trust our signaling again. If you reintro dairy or grains sporadically, you aren't going to magically break all that work that you've done

Sure, some foods are triggers that you can mindlessly munch on until the tub of plantain chips are gone (this has NEVER happened to me! I swear!!), but for the most part, you're going to have enough yogurt until you're satisfied and not go crazy.

I've let grains and dairy back into my diet on a 20% basis, but I've still been maintaining at 170.

Complacency can make us feel over confident after we've been reintro-ing or maintaining for awhile.   We start to believe we have erased all of our food issues and that all food is equal.

article-1262053-0229166C0000044D-182_468

We start to believe that our trigger foods aren't trigger foods anymore.   After all, it's all just food and we're stronger and smarter now.  ;) 

We can handle anything. :rolleyes:      We know what we're doing.  :unsure: 

It's true, the longer we go without pizza and cookies...the less pull they have over us.   It does get easier with time.  I know it's hard to believe when you're going through the throes of withdrawal.

foodrevolution_icktable.png

MeadowLily - I want you to know that I have secretly been reading your posts for a long time. You are my inspiration!! Your sweeter and kinder thread has helped me sooo much. I have learned so much from the articles that you post. I think you are an awesome person with a great sense of humor. Go MeadowLily Go! I love you!

I know myself.  I can never count calories or follow a menu plan written by others.  I can never count steps or grams in every bite I take.   That's why the Whole 30 is for me.

You'll have to search this site for the articles and tips about missing skills in people who struggle with weight.

These new positive behaviors are not difficult to adopt.  Just practice, practice and practice....until they become your skills in your new wheelhouse.

It will take time and 30 days is often not enough.  When you have the equipment you need (new cognitive behaviors)...they will give you confidence.

Thoughts always precede behaviors.   Destructive thought patterns lead to poor eating, overeating and lifestyle choices.   

Two takeways from a Whole 30.

In 30 days I see some have a sense of unfairness and self pity.   They can't eat whatever they want and why me.

Your tolerance for cravings and trigger foods is a muscle that will grow stronger with use.

Whole 30 is not a diet.   We are not dieters and this is not a temporary diet of 30 days.   Using these words flies in the face of what a Whole 30 is all about.

Whole 30 is a food reset.

I call it returning back to your original factory settings.

I cruised around a popular "Diet" site.  I left feeling sad and depressed.   There were folks there who've had weight loss surgeries and were coming to the site as a last resort.   They had regained every pound back...even after surgery.  I know about those surgeries..having lost a loved one this year from the complications.   

The take away from those on the diet site was to remember that "the diet will never end".     If you choose the diet route, it will never ever end.

I choose my new cognitive behavior skills that I've learned from the Whole 30.   My wheelhouse is running like a finely tuned machine.

It's not bragging if it's true.

I know myself.  I can never count calories or follow a menu plan written by others.  I can never count steps or grams in every bite I take.   That's why the Whole 30 is for me.

You'll have to search this site for the articles and tips about missing skills in people who struggle with weight.

These new positive behaviors are not difficult to adopt.  Just practice, practice and practice....until they become your skills in your new wheelhouse.

It will take time and 30 days is often not enough.  When you have the equipment you need (new cognitive behaviors)...they will give you confidence.

Thoughts always precede behaviors.   Destructive thought patterns lead to poor eating, overeating and lifestyle choices.   

Two takeways from a Whole 30.

In 30 days I see some have a sense of unfairness and self pity.   They can't eat whatever they want and why me.

Your tolerance for cravings and trigger foods is a muscle that will grow stronger with use.

Whole 30 is not a diet.   We are not dieters and this is not a temporary diet of 30 days.   Using these words flies in the face of what a Whole 30 is all about.

Whole 30 is a food reset.

I call it returning back to your original factory settings.

I cruised around a popular "Diet" site.  I left feeling sad and depressed.   There were folks there who've had weight loss surgeries and were coming to the site as a last resort.   They had regained every pound back...even after surgery.  I know about those surgeries..having lost a loved one this year from the complications.   

The take away from those on the diet site was to remember that "the diet will never end".     If you choose the diet route, it will never ever end.

I choose my new cognitive behavior skills that I've learned from the Whole 30.   My wheelhouse is running like a finely tuned machine.

It's not bragging if it's true.

I appreciate how simply you put things, Meadow Lily! It really is black and white isn't it? I love how you say "returning back to your original factory settings". So true! I find your positive postings very encouraging. I need that ...specific and to the point. No mamby, pamby wishy washy nonsense - just straight forward.

I appreciate how simply you put things, Meadow Lily! It really is black and white isn't it? I love how you say "returning back to your original factory settings". So true! I find your positive postings very encouraging. I need that ...specific and to the point. No mamby, pamby wishy washy nonsense - just straight forward.

wavey.gif       No mamby, pamby wishy washy nonsense - just straight forward.  kickbutt.gif

Archived