Where do you buy your sausage?

We are able to buy Boulder sausage (one variety out of many that they make) that is safe at grocery stores and Costco. We have also found Applegate Farms at the grocery store and at Whole Foods. It may depend on your region and it takes a lot of label reading. I wonder if a local butcher could also get/make some.

I buy ground lamb or grass fed beef depending which is on sale. To every pound, I add 1 tsp fennel, chili flakes and black pepper and 1/2 tsp sea salt. Then 2 TBS fresh sage. I portion it out with a cookie scoop and freeze a bunch in zip lock bags. Then I just defrost them a few at a time. I have one little sausage patty and two or three eggs (depending on how big my hand is that day :) ) every morning with a pile of veggies. Heaven.

which chorizo recipe do you use?

I use my own depending in the mood .... Mad genius chef scientist at work! Lol

I like to get Kirubuta ( Berkshire ) pork ( all natural hormone free/ no anti biotics, heritage breed). I trimm up a Boston butt into 1 inch cubes and liberally sprinkle with kosher salt... Let sit in fridge for 48 hours... Rinse and pat dry

For 3 lbs pork. Seasoning... 1/2 cup Spanish smoked paprika, 1 tbsp Mexican red ( hot) chile ground. 1 tsp each.. Coriander seed, cumin, Mexican oregano toasted and ground in coffee grinder.... 3 garlic cloves , 1 tbsp salt ( you can add more if desired)

Mix all ingredients and let sit in freezer for an hour or so until firm but not frozen,then run through a grinder with a course plate, then a second time on medium

You can make patties or I form into logs and vacuum seal in food saver type bags and then slowly poach at 160 degrees.

If you want a quick fix just buy good ground pork ;(3 lbs) and add seasoning above. Mix and let sit over night. Cook as desired. :)

I bought Wellshire smoked chorizo and Applegate organic fireroasted red pepper sausage, and both list 'spices' in their ingredient lists. Is this ok, or could there be hidden non-compliant ingredients in there somewhere? Also, the Applegate one has 'sodium lactate from beets' listed. Is this one ok? Thanks!

I have been buy my sausage from a local guy that I found out about through a friend. I just asked her to ask him if they put sugar or milk in it and they said no! YAY! I ordered 10 pounds and packed it up for freezing. They only make it a certian time of the year so I will be sad when my sausage runs out. Maybe I will not let my family eat it...ha ha!

For AIP sausage, I buy 5 lbs of local organic fresh ground pork. To that I add a slurry made with sweet onions, garlic, salt and fresh herbs: parsley, sage, thyme, rosemary and a little mint. I mix it in the blender and then add it to the pork and squoosh it up well with my hands. then freeze it in one pound blocks. It is delicious. :P

Archived