Whipped coconut cream

Lora Friedenthal

What did I do wrong?

The first time I whipped coconut cream, I put the can in the freezer for 2 hours, took it out, scooped out the white part, and whipped it with a hand mixer. It didn't fluff like whipped cream would, but it had the appearance of a whipped topping.

The second time, I put the can in the freezer for two hours, but then since I didn't actually want any fruit & cream, I put the can in the fridge and left it over night. This morning when I scooped the white out and tried to whip it up, it was like mixing cold butter.

Can I get it to revert to a whippable form if I just leave it out on the counter for a while? Or have I ruined that can by trying to whip it while it was too cold?

Sorry to post so many questions, but how do you make coconut cream? Is there such a thing as "coconut cream" in a can like the milk, or do you use something else (coconut milk or coconut flakes?).

There's both coconut cream in a can and coconut milk in a can. Milk is easier to find, but if you chill it you can get all the fat out and use that.

Another lesson: Goya coconut milk will not separate into cream and water. Looks like I'll need another can of Thai Kitchen for that.

Additionally: Aroy-D coconut milk has a weird meat aroma and flavor. Not awesome. So far Thai Kitchen is the best. 20 min in the freezer did not produce something that would whip. Cream of coconut was a complete loss.

• 1 year later...

I have struggled with making coconut whipped cream too. I recently came across a recipe by Against All Grain that I found helpful.  I summarized some of her tips (use full-fat coconut milk, make sure it is chilled, only scoop out the coconut cream portion from the can, etc.) and included the recipe here. In her article she also compares brands of coconut milk and explains which one worked best for whipped cream.  Here is the article: http://bamboocorefitness.com/coconut-whipped-cream/ .   Hope this helps some! 

I'm in Australia and I recently found some coconut with guar gum in it, it's a very different thing to the coconut cream I get locally. Much smoother, whiter and when separated, very whipped cream-like!

I'm wondering if I could make my own with guar gum from local sources.

Archived