Sunflower lecithin?

Dawn Marie

• 4 months later...

Yay! Silk unsweetened coconut milk has sunflower lecithin and no careenagen. I may get some to vary what I put in my morning coffee from the straight coconut cream, or better yet to brew chai tea with (assuming the chai I have is compliant).. 

• 4 years later...

I'm just curious why sunflower lecithin is allowed in the Whole30 program... Cuz I guess our goal is reduce inflammatory items, but I have read that lecithin can actually be difficult for the body to digest and can be inflammatory.

My guess to the answer would be if you are still seeing inflammatory symptoms on Whole30, then the next step would be to cut out this item? Just like how FODMAP foods can be cut out individually if you are still seeing issues.

Just wanted to stir the pot a bit. Cuz even though I LOVE allowing this item so I can purchase commercially made almond milk, it just got me thinking :)

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, PhysicsHippie said:

I'm just curious why sunflower lecithin is allowed in the Whole30 program... Cuz I guess our goal is reduce inflammatory items, but I have read that lecithin can actually be difficult for the body to digest and can be inflammatory.

My guess to the answer would be if you are still seeing inflammatory symptoms on Whole30, then the next step would be to cut out this item? Just like how FODMAP foods can be cut out individually if you are still seeing issues.

Just wanted to stir the pot a bit. Cuz even though I LOVE allowing this item so I can purchase commercially made almond milk, it just got me thinking :)

There are lots of items that some people have a hard time with but the program needs to still be approachable and doable, so the MOST inflammatory are removed, leaving the others.  But yes, if you find you're having concerns, you could remove the preservatives and additives to see if that helps.  Many people choose not to use any preservatives in their food freedom and when they do subsequent Whole30's but we dont' require it :)

Archived