Geisha brand coconut milk

KayJay

I was wondering if Geisha brand coconut milk (canned) is compliant? I've done a search on the forums and the few references I found were positive mentions, but I'm concerned about the ingredients.

From the website: Coconut Milk, Guar Gum (E412), Stabilizing Agent (E466), Emulsifying Agent (E435), Sodium Metabisulfite (E233) to Prevent The Discoloration. Contains Tree Nut (Coconut).

I'm wondering about the Sodium Metabisulfite (which didn't even register with me as a sulfite) and the "agents". On the can they are listed as CarboxyMethyl Cellulose (which in hindsight sounds carby to me) and polysorbate 60, along with citric acid and the metabisulfite listed as antioxidants.

I've never used coconut milk, ever, so I had no idea if this is the way it had to be canned (as opposed to coconut water). But now I know there are brands that are ONLY coconut milk and water, and I'll check with the health food stores in the Next Big Town when we go next week. Then I can order from Amazon.

Sometimes living in a very rural area sucks.

Hi Kayjay, since you quote the 'E' numbers I take it you're in Europe. I had trouble getting decent coconut milk locally so I get this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TRS-Coconut-Milk-400-Pack/dp/B004O0ATVW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1363853209&sr=8-4

It's a lovely really thick one with no added ingredients and now I just subscribe to it and get it sent regularly. It actually works out cheaper than the one I can get locally.

• Moderators

The Sodium Metabisulfite is a problem. According to Wikipedia, "It is used as a preservative and antioxidant in food and is also known as E223.[3] It may cause allergic reactions in those who are sensitive to sulfites, including respiratory reactions in asthmatics, anaphylaxis and other allergic reactions in sensitive individuals.[4][5]"

During a Whole30 of course we want you to eat free of all potential allergens so you can experience life without any irritants undermining your health.

Kirsteen, no, I just cut and pasted from a website, lol... the can itself has the actual names of the ingredients, which... thank goodness, yes?

Tom, so the sulfites are bad, of course, but the other additives are okay (although of course, not ideal)? Trying to get a handle on which added ingredients are permitted if there are no other options... guar gum, for instance. I had no clue if it was compliant or not until I searched the forums.

Thank you both for your help!

Archived