Starting another whole30

Johnny M

Anyone here that knows me knows that I'm a huge whole30 advocate and have done several very successful ones this year. I was "riding my own bike" extremely well for most of the time I wasn't on a whole30 until as I like to say, life got in the way. Now things have not been terrible, but in the month of June I've had work meetings in Costa Rica, Texas, Nevada and Missouri and I moved apartments.

I've been without a kitchen and without a home for much of June. I did mostly well hunting and gathering good foods but I definitely leveraged my challenges well as excuses for a couple crazy bar nights and 1 am pizzas and boy am I paying for it. I have been depressed, anxious, sleeping poorly, and feeling puffy. I don't know that I gained weight, it's more like my whole body and face is inflamed and swollen.

I'm on day 2 of my new whole30 and SOOOOO excited to be back. I'll be frequenting the boards here more often as well to help you guys out too. Wish me luck!

Some people may want to punch me in the face for this, but other than feeling fat and overall just a little more BLACHY, I can fall off the wagon and not have many adverse effects. BUT, I am telling you, that SUCKS! I almost wish that I would have to pay the price for it much more than I do. The difference now is that I know what eating very poorly can do to my body (of which I may not physically experience) and that has so much impact to why I am going to make this a lifestyle change. When I lose it completely, so far it has always been planned out, so at least I don't beat myself up for it.

wow I'm jealous. I have a major psychological response and it's not good. This is what always happen...I start straying here and there and after a week or two I wake up one day wondering why my life feels so out of control, why I'm so anxious, and why I'm mad at the world...then I realize it's the food.

wow I'm jealous. I have a major psychological response and it's not good. This is what always happen...I start straying here and there and after a week or two I wake up one day wondering why my life feels so out of control, why I'm so anxious, and why I'm mad at the world...then I realize it's the food.

oh, hell...why didn't i notice that before? *headdesk*

yeah unfortunately alcohol is a quick fix! It soothes my anxiety but the more I drink the more I want to feel the effect and drink more. Then I'm really drunk. Then it's 10x worse the next day. My hangovers are like little pity parties.

Johnny - this is exactly what happened to me not too long ago. I have been back on track now for a week and a half and I feel wonderful. I am thankful for the experience though...I have asked myself a couple of times if it is worth it knowing the consequence. Very helpful.

I have this, too. Nice for someone to put it into words, though - makes me feel less crazy! I can tell when one of my good friends has had wheat, via email no less, just based on her moods! When she's super low, my first question is if she's been glutenized and her answer is always yes.

Look forward to hearing you rock the next 30!

Day 3 is going well! Though am I the only one that CANNOT have a bag of cherries in the house without eating $10 worth in a sitting?

Guilty. I've gone through $20 worth of cherries in a day. And they were delish! I'm finding the whole30 is keeping me honest, though - a small bag lasted me two whole days!

Day 3 is going well! Though am I the only one that CANNOT have a bag of cherries in the house without eating $10 worth in a sitting?

Not cherries so much, but mangoes are a huge problem. They're too sugary, too delicious and very triggery for me. I really need to be cautious of real foods that lead to addictive eating. Those are going to have to be pulled from my personal Whole30 list.

yesterday while at whole foods i picked up some dried mango. It's like crack. I have bought it in the past and always limit to 2-3 pieces a day TOPS and last night I got stuck in traffic and started mindlessly munching on it in the car trying to get home. I slapped my hand and told myself i wouldn't buy it again for a while and felt ok about the situation...but I paid for the binge. I was STARVING all night. I had a big rib eye and some spinach for dinner. Then found myself eating again around 9:30...some leftover meat and 2 eggs. I went to bed hungry...just couldn't stop wanting to eat. I know it was the sugar.

I polished off ANOTHER bag of cherries last night. My new apartment has a Whole Foods 4 blocks away which means dinners have been great but I keep making a pit stop (no pun intended) on the way home for cherries. My only mission in life today is not to eat a bag of cherries (or dried fruit). That aside, just 4 days in and I feel phenomenal again. I'm sleeping, my anxiety has lessened, and work has become more manageable and productive. It's quite amazing how sensitive I am to food.

I'm glad I clicked on this post. I experience a lot of psychological reaction to food and I frequently feel like the resident crazy person trying to explain to those close to me that it effects me this way. I have physical reactions too, but the psychological has been the hardest to accept in a way - hard to believe it can mess with my personality and outlook on life the way it does. I'm finally seeing enough of a trend to accept it for what it is and use it as further motivation to keep my diet clean.

Maybe we need a new forum topic: It's Not In Your Head... Okay, Well It Is But Not Like That.

I'm not sure if it's the food itself or what years of fighting food and weigh have done to me that cause the psychological problems but either way they go away when I just eat real food so i'm happy with that!

Just did a little breakfast experiment and it was quite good. I cooke shredded sweet potato, chopped onion, and ground beef with garam masala mixed in and topped with sunny side up eggs. So good!

Sound delicious!

Today calls for a bit of a celebration. I've turned a serious corner in my current whole30. Again, I've done 2 or 3 of these this year with amazing success and stick pretty closely to whole30 rules at all times, but lately my clothes had been feeling snug and I'd been indulging in poor food choices more than appropriate.

So today is day 9 of my current whole30. Last night I was asked to join friends out at a bar. I had been struggling quite a bit with hacking my whole30 to allow for 1 or 2 weekly drinks (this is not advised and I should know better #moderatorsarepeopletoo) because my options for the night were sit home alone, or sit at a bar and watch my friends drink. This is not a new struggle for me and while waiting for my friends I thought long and hard about my past 6 months and realized I would not have started a new whole30 if I didn't think I needed it and I didn't think it would help me get back on track. Sounds stupid but you all know how that feels in the heat of the moment. So I made the conscious decision to go to the bar and NOT drink. I made a deal with myself that if after 30 minutes I wasn't comfortable, I'd excuse myself and go home and cook.

I realized while walking around the neighborhood I was meeting my friends in, that what I needed more than anything was to get out of the house and feel some sun on my face, not just their company. I met up with them and had a blast...totally alcohol free. They got progressively less coherent over time which is sometimes fun sometimes not but I got to spend time with my favorite people and not let my lifestyle get in the way. I left the bar last night feeling whole. Wholly happy, healthy, and in control. Today my pants are a bit looser again (thank god) and I'm walking tall and confident that I have this whole30 under my belt again. Anyone else realize when they turn that corner and love the feeling too?

Archived