My 30

PaleoMom

Started my Whole 30 today! So excited.

B: grainless cereal with berries and coconut milk.

L: pork sausage and cooked cabbage

S: after long bike ride, raspberries and coconut milk

D: porkchop, mashed sweet potatoes, steamed broccoli

It's unsettling not to be counting calories or carbs and to not weigh myself. Freeing, but difficult. I have been thinking a lot about dark chocolate today. It'll be hard to give that up.

Stocked up at the coop today. Making my kids eat healthier. Ready for this!

Doesn't it feel like you are forgetting something all day...no counting, weighing, measuring...I had so much extra time in my day!

I felt like this when I quit logging on myfitnesspal. Now I am photgraphing meals for here though...!

Breakfast was leftover grainless cereal from Well Fed, topped with berries and coconut milk. I'm feeling very low energy this morning. I have a boot camp class ( my gyms equivalent to crossfit) and I'm not sure I can muster the energy to get myself and my kids to the gym. The kids go to daycare for an hour there while I work out.

I think I'll rest for a bit and go from there m

I took a look at your food log from yesterday and I am concerned you may not be eating enough protein, or food for that matter, which may explain why you feel exhausted.

The Nutrition Workshop Packet says to eat three meals a day. Base each meal around your protein source. All protein sources should be roughly the size of your open hand. Fill the rest of your plate with veggies. Occasionally add a small amount of fruit. Add fat as recommended below:

all oils - 1-2 thumb sized portions

all butters - 1-2 thumb sized portions

olives - one open heaping handful

coconut flakes - one open heaping handful

nuts and seeds - one closed handful

avocado - 1/2 - 1

coconut milk - between 1/4 and 1/2 of one 14oz can.

Also, if you are working out i.e. long bike ride you need to eat something pre and post workout. I noticed after your bike ride you had raspberries and coconut, no protein.

Pre-Workout:

Eat a small amount of protein (1/2 a meal size or smaller), and (optionally) a small amount of fat (1/2 a meal size or smaller). Do not add fruit or carb-dense veggies to your pre-workout snack.

Post-Workout:

Eat a meal sized easily digestible protein, up to a fist-sized portion of carb-dense veggies and little to no fat. Do not use fruit as your primary post-workout carb source, but rather choose sweet potato or yams or squash or pumpkin or beets. Your post-workout meal is a bonus meal and should not replace breakfast, lunch or dinner. It is designed to help you recover from a high intensity workout.

Carie, thanks so much for the feedback. I had to skip my workout this morning, I've had a splitting headache all day, achy, very tired. I'll try to eat more. I'm just really trying to stay in tune with my body to eat when hungry and stop when satisfied. Maybe it would help if I look at other peoples logs to see what they eat. I exercise quite a bit. Road bike two times a week, crossfit-type class two times, kettlebells once on the weekend, and I walk my dogs every day from 30-60 minutes. So, yes I should figure out how to eat more.

After breakfast I had leftover porkchop and mashed sweet potato and olives for lunch. This afternoon I had an apple and cashew butter. I'm about to figure out dinner but I'm not hungry. I called my husband to ask him to come home early to help out with dinner.

Woke up feeling much better even though I didn't sleep very well. Still feeling very bloated but my headache is gone and I've got moderate energy. Not full levels of energy, but enough.

Breakfast was huge. One avocado, three poached eggs, raspberries with coconut milk. Yummy.

It's gonna be a scorcher here today but I'm going to try to get out on my bike for an hour this afternoon.

Lunch was some rotisserie chicken I picked up at the coop when I picked up my CSA share. Also made some kale chips and ate the entire batch (1 bunch). Was hungry earlier at about 10 am so I had some fruit and some coconut butter. I know we are encouraged not to snack so I'm going to try to adhere to that more. I just don't want to make this miserable for myself and I'd rather stick to the food and snack then go off plan because I let myself get too hungry.

Feeling better still. Still a little low energy so I might just walk the dogs and not do a bike ride today. Feel guilty but Im making myself take it easy this first week of my Whole 30. Next week, I'm back on the work out horse.

snacked on an apple and nuts this afternoon. Walked the doggies for 45 minutes. Didn't ride my bike today. Dinner was paleo spaghetti and a salad with greens from my CSA. Delicious. Made a dressing with olive oil and lemon juice. Don't know why I've been so hungry but I ate a huge dinner and its 9:00 pm and I am hungry again.

Been having a LOT of sugar cravings today. I have a bottle of wine that has been calling my name all evening as well. I really, really want chocolate.

Day #4!

Breakfast: 2 poached eggs, 3 pieces bacon, mixed berries with coconut cream

Lunch: leftover meat sauce on a bed of greens, guac, and some kohlrabi, also some kombucha

Workout: bootcamp at the gym

Feeling some low energy again today. Glad I got my workout in but I was dragging a big. Also pretty impatient with my children and people in general.

Still craving chocolate. I'm so used to eating chocolate every day. I miss it so much.

Dinner was lettuce wraps with avocado and bacon and some chicken wings. I had a handful of nuts and dried cherries. I'm still feeling really bloated and the pants I just put on are feeling tight around my waist. It's causing some anxiety for me as I'm so used to weighing and measuring myself. I'm trying to just be calm and keep going. I have to say this isn't easy. It's making me face some of my poor eating habits, my obsession with the scale and weight, and my dependence on daily dark chocolate. I feel good but not great.

Lunch: salmon, salad greens, cherries, pistachios

Snack: Lara bar

Dinner: tuna salad with my homemade mayo on a bed of lettuce from CSA. Cherries.

Super busy day today. Tired, grumpy. Wondering when I'm going to start feeling awesome.

Breakfast. Two eggs, three sausage patties, iced coffee with coconut milk, cherries

Lunch. Salad with turkey and ham, veggies, olive oil and vinegar and guacamole. The meat was deli meat and probably not 100% compliant, but I'm not going to start my 30 days over and I'm not going to stress about it. There. Kombucha tea. A few pistachios.

Spent the afternoon at the beach playing with my children in the hot sun and cool lake.

Had a big snack. Berries with coconut milk and some egg salad on romaine. Dinner was 3/4 large sweet potato mashed with coconut milk and grilled hamburger w/no bun.

I know I should not snack. It's not encouraged. My goal is to drop that afternoon snack.

Intense sugar cravings/chocolate cravings.

Sounds like good stuff! Where do you find grainless cereal, and what's actually in it? And egg salad?

Grainless cereal is from Well Fed, the cookbook. It is ground nuts and flaxseed mixed with 3 eggs and some cinnamon and coconut milk and cooked over the stove. I add berries when it's done. It's delicious!

Breakfast: 3 poached eggs, mixed berries with coconut cream.

Lunch: leftover meat sauce, mashed sweet potato

No snacks yet today. It's my goal to not eat snacks. I think if I could eat on my own rhythm I would eat a big breakfast, early. Then lunch around noon, then second lunch around three. Then be done eating. I'm never interested in eating after dinner. But I'm always ready for a second lunch around three in the afternoon. but I've got four kids and a husband and I often don't get to choose my own schedule.

Day #8 - Starting Week #2!!!

Woke up feeling refreshed this morning for the first time since I started my Whole30. I think that's a good sign.

Breakfast was 2 eggs and bacon and a little red bell pepper.

Still snacking but I'm hopeful I will be able to kick the habit. I think it has something to do with TOM which started three days ago.

I have been thinking a lot about the scale lately. I have been a slave to the scale most of my adult life. Sometimes I used to weigh myself multiple times a day It is hard not to weigh myself but I feel a sense of freedom now that I'm not using the scale. It's still in my bathroom and I've been tempted a few times to hop on. But it's so nice not to let a number dictate my day or my food decisions. I may just never weigh myself again! I'm serious! I've been working for a year now on intuitive eating and trying to kick my habit of food logging, too. I love not logging. I love not weighing and measuring and obsessing about calories, carbs, etc. And weighing and measuring myself is such a drag, too. I may just be able to put that all behind me now.

I think that I'm confronting that disordered part of myself and I am realizing just how energy draining and stressful it was for me. I hope I can continue to make strides in this area and I hope I can stick to my guns and not start all that BS again.

I have been thinking a lot about the scale lately. I have been a slave to the scale most of my adult life. Sometimes I used to weigh myself multiple times a day It is hard not to weigh myself but I feel a sense of freedom now that I'm not using the scale. It's still in my bathroom and I've been tempted a few times to hop on. But it's so nice not to let a number dictate my day or my food decisions. I may just never weigh myself again! I'm serious! I've been working for a year now on intuitive eating and trying to kick my habit of food logging, too. I love not logging. I love not weighing and measuring and obsessing about calories, carbs, etc. And weighing and measuring myself is such a drag, too. I may just be able to put that all behind me now.

I think that I'm confronting that disordered part of myself and I am realizing just how energy draining and stressful it was for me. I hope I can continue to make strides in this area and I hope I can stick to my guns and not start all that BS again.

This is brilliant, what a great new non-habit!

I have put the scales away since last week but I know when my Whole3021 is over I'll be dying to hop on the scales and whipe the tape measure out. AND I do bikini photos too :unsure: (that's also to do with my weight-training though).

Great article by jason Seib on aesthetic goals I need to re-read.

take care, and keep up the great personal development :)

that is a great article. It is my goal. To forget about numbers and strive for better performance. So far I love eating paleo and I have always loved exercising. I hope to drop the negative factor: my weight, my measurements, etc.

lunch was berries w/ coconut cream and coconut flakes and shrimp simmered in coconut milk with curry paste.

Dinner: grass fed steak with broccoli (olive oil)

Snack: cherries and a few pistachios

After dinner I was REALLY craving something sweet so I had a Lara bar. I only have two in the house and I probably used it to feed my sweet tooth, but it was better than eating chocolate!

Was not a stellar day as I snacked a lot and didn't exercise. Back on track tomorrow.

Archived