Paleo Diet for Athletes

dianavuong

I'm currently reading "Paleo Diet for Athletes" by Cordain and Friel. In one section, they say that we should be eating very lean meat and avoiding fatty meats and saturated fat. Unless I've misunderstood, Whole30 says that we can eat fatty meats and saturated fat as long as we follow the template. Is this some disparity or is there something I'm missing?

I have read the book and it is one of my tools in my arsenal as there is great info in it.

There are a ton of differing "Paleo" opinions. Eat dairy....don't eat dairy. Eat twice a day....eat six times a day. Fast.... Don't fast , etc.

Ultimately you have to do what works best for you.... My personal opinion is that w30 is the way to go, it really works for me.

Saturated fat and fatty meats don't make you fat or raise cholesterol ....refined carbs do..... I've never preformed or felt better as I do now so I take some of the workout/ recovery info from " Paleo for athletes " and use it to my benefit while sticking to the principles of W30

• Moderators

The Whole9 says specifically that eating fatty meats or the fat of meat is okay IF the meat is grass-fed, organic, etc. If it is conventionally raised meat, avoiding the fat is a good idea because toxins are found in the fat. Cordain may have a different motivation, but this is the Whole9 concern.

Saturated fat may be a real difference.

I have read the book and it is one of my tools in my arsenal as there is great info in it.

There are a ton of differing "Paleo" opinions. Eat dairy....don't eat dairy. Eat twice a day....eat six times a day. Fast.... Don't fast , etc.

Ultimately you have to do what works best for you.... My personal opinion is that w30 is the way to go, it really works for me.

Saturated fat and fatty meats don't make you fat or raise cholesterol ....refined carbs do..... I've never preformed or felt better as I do now so I take some of the workout/ recovery info from " Paleo for athletes " and use it to my benefit while sticking to the principles of W30

Would you mind sharing the things you found useful from "Paleo for Athletes?" I'm on Day 30 right now and plan to extend it and follow it's principles moving forward.

Paleo for Athletes was written a LONG time ago; food politics, studies and availability have all progressed since that publication. Grassfed meats weren't as readily available back then as they are now, we've set a precedence of saying that fat is good in mainstream books, that Cordain would never have gotten published if he had said that, and nutrition studies have continued to show that sat fat isn't bad for you.

eat up!

Would you mind sharing the things you found useful from "Paleo for Athletes?" I'm on Day 30 right now and plan to extend it and follow it's principles moving forward.

I mostly took away the importance of proper recovery. I don't do a lot of distance training, in the fighters world we live five min on full speed, one min off.... But it helped me to tailor my recovery meals ( trial and error) but I understood the principles.... He who wins is the one one with the most gas in the tank... :)

I've been mostly w30 for the better part of a year now and I have never felt or preformed better

Yeah, in Cordain's original version of The Paleo Diet, he was timid about eating fat also. I think in the updated version of that particular book, he revises his opinion on saturated fat. He also said Diet Coke and I think even canola oil was o.k. in that original book, but changed his mind on that as well. He still hasn't come around on potatoes of any type, though, I don't think.

Paleo/primal eating comes in various shapes and sizes. You really have to play with it to figure out exactly what works for you. Doing a Whole30 is an excellent jumping off point. Some people take it further and start eliminating even approved Whole30 foods for health reason. Some add back non-Whole30 compliant foods once they discover they do well having them. Some stay with the same foods and start playing with the macronutrient balances to figure out what feels right. It is a very personal journey. Reading books about it definitely helps you get ideas to consider, but unless you try someone's particular style of paleo and discover it truly fits you, it is best to experiment over time and figure it out for yourself.

I'm also really interested in others experiences with Paleo Diet for Athletes. I'm about to dig in (HA!) to it and Zinn and the Guide to Road Bike Maintenence in an effort to prep for longer rides this year. I have had zero luck in trying to find good websites that help me figure out what I need to eat as a CFer and long distance cyclist so I guess I'm going to try figuring this out myself.

I'm also really interested in others experiences with Paleo Diet for Athletes. I'm about to dig in (HA!) to it and Zinn and the Guide to Road Bike Maintenence in an effort to prep for longer rides this year. I have had zero luck in trying to find good websites that help me figure out what I need to eat as a CFer and long distance cyclist so I guess I'm going to try figuring this out myself.

If you follow cordains five steps of recovery( sounds like an AA thing lol ) with in the w30 principles.... You should be golden!!! All about recovery and fueling....

Archived