Broths

NMG

I'm having a little trouble visualising the meal template when it comes to soups and broths. I can eyeball the veg, and any chunks of meat / fat, but where does the liquid itself fit in? It tends to be very rich so it's not "just like water", nor is it an oil slick.

My soups and stews are always very chunky, I tend not to worry about the broth/stock part of it, to me it's something to drink after I've eaten all the meat and veg. LOL

Exactly..I usually have 2-3 cups of straight broth during the day just cuz..even if I don't have a soup going. :)

Hmm. perhaps I need a different word to "broth". This stuff solidified when cool to the point that I bent my ladle trying to portion it out... (I think that's my quota of gelatin sorted!)

Hmm. perhaps I need a different word to "broth". This stuff solidified when cool to the point that I bent my ladle trying to portion it out... (I think that's my quota of gelatin sorted!)

Nice sounding broth. Unless you pureed a bunch of veggies into it, it is still just water and nutrition reduced down.

NMG, if it's that rich, I really don't think you should eat it. I think you should just parcel it up, send it upto me and I'll scarf it down, cough, cough, I mean dispose of it safely for you ;). Seriously, I am jealous the bones from Whole Foods never seem to make broth that solidifies, I'll need to wait 'til the farmer's market's here again. :mellow:

Hehe shall I post you the remaining two cow feet?

You're okay skinning them, right? And you'll need a nice clean saw to cut the hooves off....

A while ago, Kirsteen and I were going to bash bones with sledge hammers ala David Sisson so she'll be fine. ;0)

Cow feet sound amazing. I've managed to get the farmer at the market to bring me cow knuckles, those things are huge and make fantastic broth but feet hmmm.....

I saw pigs trotters at Whole Foods yesterday but I'm not sure what to do with them? any ideas?

Oh and since the bones at WF are always niggly little things, this time I've thrown in a chicken carcass as well.

Trotters - I presume they were scalded (i.e. not still hairy with "nails" attached)?

I have tried a couple of times to do a Chinese style dish where you serve the bones/meat (e.g. Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall/chinese-pig-s-trotters-recipe ).

However I just can't get around the way you have to eat it. Now I tend to pop them whole in the slow cooker overnight, fish out, pull all the meat off, chop it up, and use the stock and meat to make some kind of soup.

Cow feet: http://carrotandrabbit.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/dsci0111.jpg

Trotters: http://carrotandrabbit.wordpress.com/2010/12/04/trotters/ - illustrates the futility of trying to chop up the things before cooking!

Yeah, pickled.

3 1/4 lbs. pigs feet

Cold water

2/3 c. white vinegar

6 tbsp. sugar

1 1/2 tbsp. salt

1 tsp. pickling spice

5 pepper kernels

Place clean pigs feet into 4 quart pot. Cover with cold water; bring to boil. Simmer until meat is fairly tender. Skim off foam occasionally. Cool for 8 to 10 hours. Drain, reserving liquid and place meat into jars. Combine 2 1/4 cups of liquid and remaining ingredients. Bring to boil and simmer for a few minutes. Pour over pigs feet. Cool and refrigerate. Serve cold.

VARIATION: Other parts of pig such as ankles, ears, tongue and heart may be substituted for feet.

They are tasty. :) My Mom never used sugar in her recipe though, so I crossed that out.

O...K :mellow: This does sound interesting but I've never ever had anything like this before so ...questions. You say cook 'til meat is tender - roughly how long is that? Are we talking an hour, 6 hours, whatever? And how long will they keep in the fridge and can you freeze them if you use a suitable container? There's only me going to be eating them. Sheech, I never, ever thought I'd be even comtemplating cooking and eating pigs trotters :blink: What a W30 does to you eh? :D

Maybe a couple of hours, Kirsteen. I'm not 100% sure and my parents are off on vacation. I would say fork tender but not falling off the bone. Keep them in an airtight container, I would guess they would last as long as anything else pickled. My mom would put them up in mason jars and they never lasted long once she opened a jar and put in the fridge. I'm not sure if they would freeze well or not. Sorry I don't have a lot of answers. :(

Hi Sharon thanks a million all help is appreciated. It'll probably be a couple of weeks beforeI can get back to WF again. I still can't believe I'm seriously contemplating cooking pigs feet

Kirsteen, you are a braver soul than I. As a child, apparently I enjoyed eating brain and tongue with my Greek Papou. I have no memory of that, but I am quite sure I wanted to do everything he did. :0)

Archived