HELP! I have to travel!

Hey Gang,

I really need some help. I'm trying not to panic, so I'm coming to you for suggestions and support. I'm on Day 7, and realized now that on my Day 15 I have to fly out to NY for TechCrunch Disrupt. I've been really comfortable and confident in my ability to do this thus far because I've had access to my kitchen, but without that I fear I may be lost. :(

I'll be flying in on Monday morning, I'll be there all day until about 5-6pm, then I don't know for a few hours before going to the apartment to sleep, then waking up and doing it all over for another day before flying out that evening at around 7.

I do NOT want to break my program. I've been really good! I don't want to cheat, so I'm sure if I plan right I can survive this. I just checked and there's a Whole Foods .9mi from where I'll be staying, so I have that going for me. Also just confirmed I'll have access to a kitchen Monday night, so YAY!

So. What should I do? I'm pretty sure we'll be in the demo pit all day Monday and Tuesday, so I won't be able to leave and go cook but I will have time for lunch, and I'll make sure I get in some breakfast, too. Dinner should be fine on Monday, but I'll be flying out right around dinner time on Tuesday so I'd need to eat right before the airport. AAAHHHHHH!

Please help!

• Moderators

You might want to take cans of tuna, salmon, sardines, olives, etc. Maybe a gallon bag of macadamia nuts and raisins. Go by Whole Foods and get some fresh veggies, eggs, salsa, sauerkraut, or kimchi. Boil the eggs and eat them with salsa. Either cook the fresh veggies or get stuff you can eat raw. Eat the sauerkraut or kimchi with canned fish. I really like the sauerkraut with sardines packed in olive oil.

Hmmm, I wonder if I can take any of these items with me and check the bag on the flight? I don't think I'll be able to make it to Whole Foods until Monday night (pretty sure we have to head straight to the venue) so I'm concerned about what I'll eat throughout the day. Tuesday will be fine after a trip to Whole Foods.

I remember the last time we went to a conference like this...we were handing out donuts, my diet was horrible. I don't want that to happen again lol.

Tuna I can definitely do. Sardines...I don't know. I haven't tried them in years, and I didn't like them then - but then again, I used to hate Olives, too. Thanks for the tips, Tom.

I've heard others mention baby food? Is this for snacking or can meals be built on them on-the-go?

We make our own jerky at home sometimes -- that packs well. Seconding the nuts and raisins (or other dried fruit, if you can find some that is unsulphured and unsweetened -- Trader Joe's often has it, and I'm sure Whole Foods would). Shredded coconut packs well, too. Carrot sticks or other raw veggies (bell peppers, celery, etc.) are handy, too.

You might want to take cans of tuna, salmon, sardines, olives, etc. Maybe a gallon bag of macadamia nuts and raisins. Go by Whole Foods and get some fresh veggies, eggs, salsa, sauerkraut, or kimchi. Boil the eggs and eat them with salsa. Either cook the fresh veggies or get stuff you can eat raw. Eat the sauerkraut or kimchi with canned fish. I really like the sauerkraut with sardines packed in olive oil.

Also, hit up a supermarket (if you can) and get roast chicken and fresh veg for salads (hopefully you have a mini bar in the room for keeping such noms?)

Yup, in the room I'll have a fridge and everything, so I'm good for Tuesday.

I just confirmed we're flying in and heading straight to the venue as it's our presentation day, so I won't be able to go to WF until like 6-7pm!

So what can I take with me in a checked bag from FL to NY? lol.

I'm pretty sure I can bring some good Tuna with me.

I just got back from 4 days in the bahamas, 100% compliant. I was armed with my own fats, and proteins just in case. I took it all either on my carry on, or checked luggage (both ways) with no problems.

The key is take things that are easy to open and seal. For example, if you take tuna, either take the kind that is in a pack and you can rip open, or the kind of can that has the handle and does not need a can opener. My nuts I took some plastic containers and took only what I needed with meals and left the the rest in the room. I brought rubber bands so that once the coconut flakes were open, I could fold over the bag air tight and rubber band it so no food was spilling out (same with my nut bags) i also mixed my nuts (almonds, cashews, macadamia and hazel nut- i like variety). I also brought my own hard boiled eggs with me!

I also brought plastic ware with me! And carried around my insulated WF lunch bag (to every meal, to the pool...) and had my water bottle with me. We did go to a local market on the island and I stocked up on tomatoes and carrots as a back up vegetable since refrigeration was not mandatory for those veggies.

Luckily I had the option of restaurants and could order just a salad with no dressing, no croutons... they obliged.

When ordering family style, the restaurant obliged is removing some of the meat and cooking it in just olive oil for me (they ordered marsala sauce...) And i also found a restaurant that was willing to sell me hard boiled eggs from their takeout counter.

And for the first day of travel, I simply took one of my plastic containers filled with my premade salad/fat/protein. Instead of lettuce, I have gotten into precooking some veggies (and mixing some raw veggies) with my protein, slicing them into small pieces and mixing and matching ALL OF IT. The nice thing about not using lettuce is the precooked veggies become room temp and are good without being reheated or chilled- whereas salad may wilt or turn color. I go to town with my mixes- red pepper, cauliflower, brocoli, olives, sweet potatoe carrots sometimes brussels sprouts or asparagus... just depends on what i ve cooked that week- the key to me is variety, so I never get tired of what i eat (i.e. I will add a diced up hb egg and tuna into a premade salad.) You may have to prepare and pack a ready made meal or two for the first day.

Good luck. I think it will be easier than you think since you are focused on it.

Also,

You can take ANYTHING intra48 as long as it is not a liquid! And, I ate more fruit than I would have liked to, but apples and oranges with ameal were my savior over reaching for something unhealthier when I just needed something extra.

On a different note, if you're on the road, and you need to hang out with colleagues and be social, and you can get out to the nearest strip mall, Chipotle can save you -- the salad, with carnitas, mild salsa and guac appears to be compliant. That is my emergency ration now.

Archived