Day 15 and still hungry.

I'm still experiencing a lot of hunger between meals, and I'm feeling so frustrated. I thought by now my hunger would be more manageable. To give you an idea of a typical day, because I know someone will ask:

Breakfast

4 eggs, half an avocado, fresh berries, coffee (sometimes I'll have more than 1 cup)

Snack- 1 apple, handful of almonds (and more almonds throughout the day)

Lunch

sweet potato hash, kale, grilled chicken, half an avocado

Dinner

butternut squash, brussel sprouts, ground beef, 1 egg, half an avocado

I know before some of you mentioned grilled chicken is not a good idea, but I can find quality organic chicken in that form and I'm also comfortable cooking it, which is why I keep coming back to it. I usually cook my veggies with either clarified butter or olive oil.

The stretch between lunch and dinner is the worst. I'm ravenous by the time I get home.

I love the program and I love this way of eating- I just hate the hunger. I feel like I'm not eating to be full, I'm eating so I won't be hungry in two hours, which means I'm eating past the point of feeling full. This doesn't feel right. Any help for me?

Personally I'd add some non starchy veggies to your breakfast. I know you said that between lunch and dinner is the worst but really you set the stage for a good day at the breakfast table. As far as lunch goes, maybe try swapping out the leaner chicken for a protein with a naturally higher fat content and see how you feel, I'd also suggest more non starchy veggies at that meal. You may still be riding a little bit of a blood sugar roller coaster, you could try cutting out the fruit and nuts and if you need a snack between meals let it focus more on protein.

• Moderators

Only your breakfast gives me good clues about how much food you are eating, but 4 eggs is actually good. I have been satisfied with 3 eggs at breakfast in recent months, although I used to eat 4 or 5 every morning. What you are eating at lunch and dinner looks good and the half an avocado is a good source of fat.

My guess is that you actually need to add a fourth meal. You really should not be experiencing even mild hunger for more than a short-time before meals. I ate 4, 5, and sometimes 6 meals per day when I started eating the Whole30 way. It took me at least a year before I was comfortable and satisfied with just 3 meals per day. In the last 6 months, I have come close to feeling comfortable on 2 meals per day, but not quite. If I don't eat at least 3 times, I wake up hungry at night.

I think I am going to try an extra meal today and see how it goes. It's 10:30 and my stomach is already rumbling, so maybe it's almost time for second breakfast!

Thanks for the feedback, Tom and Krista! I appreciate it.

I have been packing two meals (so, I eat a total of 4 meals per day) with me at work for the past few days, and it's going a bit better. I wouldn't say I'm not hungry at all between meals (I eat breakfast at 8 and start to feel hungry at 10:30), but not as ravenous as before. It's more bearable, but I'm still hoping it gets to the point where I'm not hungry at all between meals.

My meals follow Whole30 guidelines in terms of portions, more or less.

Archived