I need some serious help

Hey Guys,

So I attempted to start my Whole 30 about two weeks ago. I did really well for about 4 days, until the weekend came. I am currently 19 years old and in college. I'm not over weight I would just like to be thinner and healthier than I am. I am a runner but am currently recovering from a stress fracture and am not allowed to do much activity yet. Anyways, I usually do okay with Paleo for about 4 days and then completely relapse and binge and have to start all over again. I have tried making a count down, writing reminders on my wall and things like that that are supposed to help but nothing lasts. I need some help and something to guide me through this and keep me on track. I really want to see results and as soon as I feel better or see something change, I take a break and "relapse." Like I said, I really don't NEED to lose much weight but I really would like to slim down just a little and just be a healthier person in general. So basically, any help or friendly words of advice, someone to do this journey with me, anything would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

It's hard to get past cravings within 4 days. Are you living in a dorm, or are you in a house where you can cook meals ahead of time and really keep your food stocked up? I get lazy too and would fail for sure if I had to cook for every meal. The social aspect is hard too. Try not to think of all the food you are missing out on. There's TONS of yummy paleo recipes out there. Are you following the meal template and getting adequate amounts of food? If not, that can make it easy to go off-track too if you are feeling hungry too often.

I'm in an apartment so I can cook and try to keep things stacked up. I am a very picky eater so I've been trying to expand my horizons but there are a lot of whole 30 foods that i don't like or don't know how to cook.

You just need to start experimenting with different foods and maybe look up recipes online. I was out of practice when it came to cooking and don't have a ton of time or money but with a little experimentation I discovered things that tasted good and were relatively easy to cook. All you gotta know how to do is chop, stir and turn on a stove or oven! Instead of jumping right into a whole30 maybe try to get more comfortable eating and cooking the new foods for one meal a day first?

Set yourself up for success by planning ahead for the week, and be sure to give yourself options in case you feel like eating something different. Make batches of hard boiled eggs, an egg casserole. baked chicken, a meatloaf, or whatever sounds good to you. Keep frozen veggies and fish on hand for variety. I don't like to spend a whole day in the kitchen, so I make a big big batch of something here and there so my supply of "ready-to-eat" doesn't shrink and I don't have excuses to not eat well. Good luck!

Regarding the exercise, can you do some gentle exercise in the pool at your college to keep your range of motion fluid? (See the pun? I'm so derned clever, huh?) Anyway, the pool has been my thing all my life. I keep going back to it and it has done the job for me time after time. I have had two knee replacement surgeries a year apart, and water again was my healer.

I'm trying to experiment with foods, fresh foods. Do you cook? I now have a mandolin and mortar and pestle. They've both been important in my quest for taste.

The fact that you're here asking for help tells me you want to make this thing work for you. Erase the "thinner" from your goals. That will probably come, but it shouldn't be the first thing on your list.

Just my opinions and that along with $3 will get you a cuppa at Starbucks.

Reflect on why you want to do a Whole 30. What about the plan appeals to you? What parts cause you angst? (I'm guessing its weekends, social obligations and peer pressure...)How can you plan for those high pressire times? think about what foods you DO like on the plan,and make a rough draft of a week's menus. Does the food appeal to you? Or will it be hard to implement the meal template? Once you identify the challenges, determine if there are actionable and sustainable solutions... And the obstacles will fade away.

I think everyone should do a whole 30, (it really is life changing)) but whole 30 may not be for everyone until they can name and tackle the obstacles of their lifestyle.

Reflect on why you want to do a Whole 30. What about the plan appeals to you? What parts cause you angst? (I'm guessing its weekends, social obligations and peer pressure...)How can you plan for those high pressire times? think about what foods you DO like on the plan,and make a rough draft of a week's menus. Does the food appeal to you? Or will it be hard to implement the meal template? Once you identify the challenges, determine if there are actionable and sustainable solutions... And the obstacles will fade away.

I think everyone should do a whole 30, (it really is life changing)) but whole 30 may not be for everyone until they can name and tackle the obstacles of their lifestyle.

Agreed. Also, losing a couple pounds is perhaps not the best motivating factor. I highly recommend The Paleo Coach. The basic premise: not being happy with your appearance isn't going to be the thing that propels you to make lifelong changes. Health is a way better motivation, with improved appearance being a nice side effect.

The writer frames the whole idea of changing your diet in a really simple but mind-changing way. You kind of can't go back to eating crap after reading this book (if, that is, you value your health above everything else).

When I was in college I first got thin eating fat-free cookies and cans of corn. (Fat-free being the CW weight loss prescription at the time). Gross! Then came psych meds, starving myself and bulemia. Finally, I started making soup and my own jam and started really taking pleasure in learning how to make nourishing food from scratch. It took a little while to get over the skinny thing but I had a good foundation of cooking and eating well.

At least you are starting in a healthier place! :D

Archived