Is it possible to have too many nuts??

Deborah Baldauf

Hi everyone. Today was my first full day on W30, and I feel like I did well. I do have a question though. Is it possible to eat too many nuts in one day. I had my breakfast and lunch, and then between lunch and dinner, I got quite hungry, so I had almonds. I had quite a few handfuls, though, and I'm wondering if that may have been too much.

It may take you some time to figure out how much food to eat at each meal to keep hunger at bay. Yes you can eat too many nuts. One closed palmful is a serving of nuts. Nuts are extremely high in calories and Omega 6 which we all get too much of and there is not a lot of nutritional benefit. Are you following the meal template for your meals? Snacking is discouraged but try to eat a mini meal if you truly are hungry between meals.

If your goal is weight loss, you can eat too many nuts. Certain nuts are better than others: macadamia and hazelnuts are lowest in phytic acid.

A handful of raw nuts is good for you, but they shouldn't be a primary protein source. Brazil nuts can be toxic due to their high selenium content. Limit those to 1-2 per day.

I have been using nuts and dried fruit to occupy my mouth during the first 1/2 of Whole30. Better than the processed sugar I have grown to depend upon, but I know I am eating far too many calories and getting an overdose of Omega 6 fatty acids.

• Moderators

As Tom, one of the forum moderators, has said, a cup of nuts can be 1000 calories. Nuts are not your friend.

What's worked for me is to only eat nuts as part of a recipe. Never by the fistful as a snack. I do the same thing with fruit.

Archived