coconut wraps and paleo bread

szwald

• Moderators

We accept coconut wraps because we don't know anyone who is addicted to wraps. However, we know lots of people who are addicted to bread! Part of the purpose of a Whole30 is to break out of old eating habits and establish new, healthy habits. We think it is important to avoid anything like the addictive parts of our old diets, so paleo bread is out even when the ingredients individually are okay.

I would also think that if bread/tortillas/pita are one of your trigger foods, you might want to avoid coconut wraps anyway. I know that for me starchy carbs are a trigger food, so I'll be avoiding anything that is a "wrap" of any kind that emulates bread or pasta.

I tried a piece in a health food shop recently (though not when on a W30 of course!) and it was gack, bread flavour (ish) but the texture of sponge cake. Urghhh.

I used to make a flaxseed bread when I was doing trad low-carb which was

250g flaxseed .

100g of butter

2 tsp of baking powder

5 eggs

2 tsp of mixed herbs

2 table spoons of parmasan cheese

It was very tasty & filling, not sure if it's paleo or even primal for post W30 though? what do you think mods?

Honestly after some time on whole30 or paleo, most people just get over bread. Am I alone in that? The only bread I miss is something like a french baguette to spread pate on or eat with some fresh raw local cheeses and I doubt any substitute would ever taste as good. Your flax bread might technically be made of primal foods, but it's less primal than eating whole foods. This is going to be a personal decision for you after whole30 though. There is no definitive "primal" answer.

I haven't had "real" bread or baked goods made with wheat in three years. I've eaten GF bread occasionally and the Against The Grain brand baguettes made with tapioca flour. Those things aren't really good enough to waste calories on.

I realized the other day that I really don't miss bread that much anymore. Sometimes I dream of baguettes, yes, but I don't consciously miss them much anymore.

I like The Pure Wraps because they hold food. I don't like eating things separately, so the wraps help me pile veggies, etc. on top on lunch meat and wrap everything up. Definitely not a sub for bread or tortillas, though. More like an edible holder. But that's okay by me.

I actually don't miss bread at all, it not something I really grew up eating (unless it was fresh from San Francisco sourdough or Texas French toast on Sunday before church- and both of those were rare treats). It was more of a general question. I don't really miss sandwhiches at all either, and my husband is unwittingly becoming more and more paleo as he LOVES left overs for lunch... baby steps :)

Archived