Caesar Salad Dressing Tips or Recipe?

sunnymama

This is the recipe I use and I adore it!  You can find dijon that is whole30 compliant.  I have anchovies packed only in olive oil. 

http://paleodietlifestyle.com/salad-dressing-and-vinaigrettes/

I make my mayo, then leave some in the food processor and make this dressing.  I only use 2 garlic cloves as I am not afraid of vampires :).

Physibeth I was the same-- no idea it had anchovies.  

Which leads me to my next question KB-- as a non-anchovy fan do you think if, using the recipe you do, I pureed them in there instead of leaving minced it would be okay?  If so any recommendations as to how much?  Thanks so much for the recipe!  I loooooove that I can use the mayo with it .   :)

I absolutely put them in and continue pureeing in the food processor; you never know that they are there.  I made this dressing for a friend of mine that self-declared as an anchovy-hater; she later asked for the recipe.  I had to come clean! :ph34r:

i have made it without (I didn't have any) and it just was NOT the same.

I always make my own caesar dressing. I never measure anything. Usually I do the juice of 1 lemon, then add enough olive oil to have about half again as much oil as lemon juice (so like 1/4c. juice to 1/3 c. oil, or 1/2c. juice to 3/4 c. oil). Then I toss in 1 or 2 garlic cloves (I chop them first or else there are big chunks) then like 4-6 anchovy fillets or about a tablespoon of anchovy paste, an equal amount dijon mustard (without sugar or wine), and salt and pepper. Then blend it in the blender. If you're not doing whole30, you can add about 1/4c. parmesan cheese to it.

Traditional caesar dressing has anchovies in it, but you can buy store-bought versions that don't have it. I don't think it's caesar dressing without them though.

• 3 months later...

Mary's Creamy Caesar Dressing

I use:

1/4 cup olive oil mayo (page 43 Well Fed or page 276 ISWF)

1/2 tsp or 1 clove garlic

1/2 tsp Dijon mustard (whole30 approved)

1/2 tsp anchovy paste

Mix well in bowl with fork or blend larger portion in Nutribullet/processor. Add anchovy paste as needed for taste you desire!

I think all Caesar has anchovies...I remember when I came to this realization I was a little floored but it hasn't stopped me from liking it. I have not tried to make my own yet though.

Do you think I could use anchovy paste instead of fillets?

Traditional Ceaser does have anchovies, and it is possible to use paste instead of fillets.

It's quite common in a lot of restaurants to forgo the anchovies for sea/kosher salt and baby capers. Mostly because so many people dislike anchovies these days.

• 3 years later...

Archived