3 days in and milk supply basically gone

So I started my Whole30 on 6/9 and am nursing a 5 week old. On 6/11 (3 days in) my milk supply was basically gone and I had an extremely unhappy baby. 

Can someone explain why this happened and what I can do to fix it while staying whole30 compliant? 
I have since added non-whole30 foods back into my diet because my baby's health is more important that anything and she wasn't getting what she needed. 

I was eating 3 full meals and 2 snacks throughout the night while nursing. 

Read the other threads, but my personal thought is that at five weeks, you should be most concerned with establishing a good milk supply.  The early weeks are critical and will lay the foundation for your nursing relationship.  Whole 30 will be here in a few months.  You can start implementing healthy changes to your diet (like cutting out the junk), but just the stress of worrying about what's in every ingredient can decrease milk supply (like any other stress). 

I would start taking fenugreek and make some lactation cookies.  And pump as often as you can after your baby eats, while your baby naps and/or while she is eating (I always have pumped one side while my babies nursed on the other). 

Enjoy your new baby and come back to whole 30!  I did my first one last year, another one in February, and I try really hard to follow the plan the rest of the time.  My daughter is 20 months, and my milk supply is still good despite the initial dip.  It really is a great way to eat. 

I read both of those and am willing to attempt again but am SO worried about the dip happening again. Before whole30 I was like a cow in regards to how much milk I produced, it was a scary amount and then yesterday I could barely feel the let down and had a very unhappy baby. 

Baby and I were doing so well with breastfeeding and I just think the big change was too much for me right now. 

I guess my question is, should I be eating a sweet potato/acorn squash/butternut squash serving at every meal? 

I picked up a ton of the starchy veggies yesterday so I can make sure I'm getting enough of those but what other additions are necessary? 

Read the other threads, but my personal thought is that at five weeks, you should be most concerned with establishing a good milk supply.  The early weeks are critical and will lay the foundation for your nursing relationship.  Whole 30 will be here in a few months.  You can start implementing healthy changes to your diet (like cutting out the junk), but just the stress of worrying about what's in every ingredient can decrease milk supply (like any other stress). 

I would start taking fenugreek and make some lactation cookies.  And pump as often as you can after your baby eats, while your baby naps and/or while she is eating (I always have pumped one side while my babies nursed on the other). 

Enjoy your new baby and come back to whole 30!  I did my first one last year, another one in February, and I try really hard to follow the plan the rest of the time.  My daughter is 20 months, and my milk supply is still good despite the initial dip.  It really is a great way to eat. 

I think you've hit the nail on the head. 

You need to do what feels right for you, and I am not going to tell you you have to do the whole30 right this minute.

That said, I would like to put this out there: many many people eat too little on the whole30. They underestimate the amount of calories they normally consume in the form of grains and just eat the same portions of meat and veggies they used to eat and skip the grains. OR they eat even less because they think they are on a diet. Almost everybody I see on these boards does this, at least at first. Eating too little will effect milk supply. Dehydration will too, maybe more than eating too little. There is nothing about the nutrition of the whole30 plan that would prevent you from having enough milk supply unless you eat too little of it, so if you want to give it a try and really eat (including tons of good veggies, including starchy ones, and fat and protein, 4-5 full template meals every day) you might be pleasantly surprised.

Before whole30 I was like a cow in regards to how much milk I produced, it was a scary amount and then yesterday I could barely feel the let down and had a very unhappy baby.

This is very concerning to me.  :(  Do whatever you feel you need to do to keep that baby breastfed.  If that means starchy veggies at every meal, if that means 3000+ calories per day, if that means ditching Whole 30 and just making the healthiest choices you can at the moment.

Personally...  I knew nothing about Paleo and Whole 30 did not exist back when I was nursing my little ones -- but there is no way I could see myself trying to follow all of these rules while adjusting to life with a newborn.  Honestly it is an extra stress you simply don't need, when you are already sleep-deprived, healing from pregnancy and childbirth, etc.  (I understand people do this while breastfeeding, but we are talking about a 5-week-old here, not a toddler).

If you've read the book -- great!  Take what you can from that and make improvements along the way.  It doesn't have to be all-or-nothing.  If you haven't read the book, enjoy reading it while nursing and just use your highlighter & sticky notes to capture the things you want to be able to remember later.  The Whole 30 will still be here when you (& your milk supply!) are ready.  ;)  Enjoy that baby!

You need to do what feels right for you, and I am not going to tell you you have to do the whole30 right this minute.

That said, I would like to put this out there: many many people eat too little on the whole30. They underestimate the amount of calories they normally consume in the form of grains and just eat the same portions of meat and veggies they used to eat and skip the grains. OR they eat even less because they think they are on a diet. Almost everybody I see on these boards does this, at least at first. Eating too little will effect milk supply. Dehydration will too, maybe more than eating too little. There is nothing about the nutrition of the whole30 plan that would prevent you from having enough milk supply unless you eat too little of it, so if you want to give it a try and really eat (including tons of good veggies, including starchy ones, and fat and protein, 4-5 full template meals every day) you might be pleasantly surprised.

I've done part of a whole30 before. I started a week or so before I got pregnant and then morning sickness kicked me in the pants and every time I tried to eat something that was whole30 compliant I would vomit or come close to it. 

I drink a TON of water, like more than recommended. And I always ate and still do eat according to the template. I end up with a full, FULL plate. I think my biggest problem was starchy vegetables, maybe? Who really knows. I'm going to take a break from the strict whole30 for awhile and focus on taking care of my sweet girl. 

I think I'll give it another shot once I've got her on a schedule. 

Also wanted to add, at 5-6 weeks you could have been experiencing a growth spurt.

What other symptoms of reduced milk supply did you have? Was your baby producing enough soiled and wet diapers?

When I've gone through growth spurts my breasts have felt empty/flat for a few days, the baby has nursed nonstop and been a little cranky and I have been extra tired. That strong letdown feeling usually wanes for a few days too.

And as others said, it's early days with that baby. Try to eat well but maybe hold off for a few weeks or months for another whole 30 attempt.

Good luck!

She just finished a growth spurt, this week, so I don't think that was the issue the previous week. I really think it was the lack of starchy vegetables. I'm going to give it another go soon but for now I'm going to just do mostly Whole30.

What's the "rule" on napping for new moms on the Whole30?

• 3 weeks later...

I nursed my littlest one during my whole30, but she was a toddler. At five weeks your baby is still growing so much she needs to be able to nurse non-stop and increase your supply every few weeks. I would not take any chances. They grow so fast, whole30 will still be here in a few months. Just nap and eat and enjoy your baby, like you said!

Archived